RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 21:51
    Originally posted by MoneyManMike
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuvOquROEr4
    Those are amazing highlights.

That is the most goals I have ever seen by either team

Gordon looks like a super acquisition and Donovan has been playing his best soccer in recent weeks.

Who needs David Beckham?
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 21:58
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Who needs David Beckham?
    real madrid?
  3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 21:59
    Originally posted by trevor33
    real madrid?
    😀
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 22:15
    Originally posted by blade68
    I have no objection to the USA finaly taking an interest in the Worlds greatest game.... but I do object to the fact that you're trying to re-invent the football language...

It's football - not soccer.
    FWIW. The term soccer, originally socca, pre-dates the term football as a description of the game.

Originally, what you now call football was called Association Football or socca football to differentiate it from Rugby Football. (Socca being a corruption of the first letters in the word association.)

In the late 1800's Rugby Football became popular in the United States and the name was quickly shortened to football. Then, with typical Yankee ingenuity, Knute Rockne invented the forward pass and the game of Rugby Football was improved into modern american-style football.

So, in the end you dropped the word Soccer from Soccer-Football and the word Football from Rugby-Football and the US did the opposite.
  5. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirateâ„¢
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 10:14
    Originally posted by Red Night
    FWIW. The term soccer, originally socca, pre-dates the term football as a description of the game.

Originally, what you now call football was called Association Football or socca football to differentiate it from Rugby Football. (Socca being a corruption of the first letters in the word association.)

In the late 1800's Rugby Football became popula ...[text shortened]... cer from Soccer-Football and the word Football from Rugby-Football and the US did the opposite.
    Back then "Socca (or Soccer)" was just a colloquial abbreviation of the name used by the stuck-up toffs in Boarding and Public schools. Much like the term "Rugger" for Rugby that they also used, it was never an official name for the sport and in terms of slang names for it, "Football" was far more popular and well known.
  6. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 15:131 edit
    First of all, don't ever misquote me again. I said "they converted 6 of their 8 attempts," not "they scored with 6 or their 8 shots on target." Your quote makes me sound retarded.

Second of all, the MLS can play defense, just watch highlights from all of the other drawish SuperLiga matches.

Thirdly, who would want to fix a MLS match? There is n ndividual moments of skill."

Alright, peace. I look forward to more euro snobbery.
    Well... It DOES sound retarded. I never read Red Night saying that someone "converted an attempt" in football/soccer. It sounds wholly inadequate for a sport where scores are so low.

But, of course, you're free to enter that anti-European paranoia that you seem to enjoy so much and take everything as a personal attack on your country .
  7. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 17:05
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Well... It DOES sound retarded. I never read Red Night saying that someone "converted an attempt" in football/soccer. It sounds wholly inadequate for a sport where scores are so low.

But, of course, you're free to enter that anti-European paranoia that you seem to enjoy so much and take everything as a personal attack on your country .
    I am not anti-European or paranoid. The whole point of this thread and my previous one bout LA vs Pachuca was to celebrate two great matches. And then a couple of particular individuals decided to deviate from the main discussion and either attack me or my country. It doesn't matter what I say. I mean, just mentioning the word "soccer" riles these euro snobs up.

Again, I am here to talk bout two matches that I think were really good and I want to see if any else saw them so maybe we can have an intelligent conversation about the match. I am not implying that the MLS is big in the USA, or that it is even the best soccer in the world. I am not here to talk about Abel Xavier's past. And I am not here to talk about the USA or Mexican National teams.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 17:10
    I am not anti-European or paranoid. The whole point of this thread and my previous one bout LA vs Pachuca was to celebrate two great matches. And then a couple of particular individuals decided to deviate from the main discussion and either attack me or my country. It doesn't matter what I say. I mean, just mentioning the word "soccer" riles these e ...[text shortened]... bout Abel Xavier's past. And I am not here to talk about the USA or Mexican National teams.
    In short:

You're not here to talk. Fine.
  9. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '07 17:16
    Originally posted by Palynka
    In short:

You're not here to talk. Fine.
    yea I am...whats your beef with me? I mean your posts have been fairly intelligent.
  10. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    04 Aug '07 16:27
    Originally posted by Daemon Sin
    Back then "Socca (or Soccer)" was just a colloquial abbreviation of the name used by the stuck-up toffs in Boarding and Public schools. Much like the term "Rugger" for Rugby that they also used, it was never an official name for the sport and in terms of slang names for it, "Football" was far more popular and well known.
    😉

Nice one!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree