1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 12:56
    Manning, prematurely crowned greates QB of all time, left the field without congratulating Brees. Definitely the sorest of losers. How can the "greatest" of all time fail to beat the lowest ever D to win a SB? Manning believed the greatest rumors, yet it turns out emperor was wearing no clothes! Next sore loser is Indy. Eleven people turned out to receive team? Ouch! Only decent Colt seems to be Caldwell who was a gracious postgame conference speaker and gave all credit to NO.
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    11 Feb '10 16:511 edit
    From yahoo sports:

At the risk of being a heretic (or worse, completely agreeing with good friend Dutch Wydo), there is a case to be made that Ben Roethlisberger(notes) is a better quarterback than Peyton Manning(notes).

Certainly in the playoffs.

Before you send that email calling me crazy or mocking me only days after I wrote that Manning is the fourth-best quarterback of all time, let’s put this in perspective. It is impossible to truly measure Roethlisberger against Manning or Tom Brady(notes) just yet.

Roethlisberger has played six years. His regular-season stats (only two seasons with more than 18 touchdown passes) pale in comparison to those of Manning, Brady and many other quarterbacks. In short, so much of his career is yet to be played that it’s silly to rank him even among the top 25 quarterbacks of all time.

Bottom line, it would take serious guts to draft Roethlisberger ahead of Manning at this point of their respective careers.

Furthermore, there isn’t a defensive coordinator in the league who won’t tell you that the challenge of facing Manning is much tougher from a game-plan aspect than facing Roethlisberger.

“There’s nothing you can do against Peyton that he hasn’t seen,” said Detroit defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham, who has spent the past 15 years in the NFL in that role with four teams and is one of the most respected defensive minds in the league. “He can figure out anything you’re trying to do and find the perfect play to get you. You constantly have to change what you do and hope that he just makes some mistake along the way.

“With Roethlisberger, he’s a completely different kind of player. He’s unique because he’s so big and so tough that you hit him and he just shakes it off and keeps looking downfield. He’s great, but figuring out how to defend isn’t the hard part. The hard part is executing the plan.”

Roethlisberger has also been backed by one of the great defenses of this decade. But mentioning the Steelers’ defense means that you must also credit the Colts for surrounding Manning with great offensive weapons and amazing consistency on the coaching staff.

The bottom line is this: Roethlisberger is currently 8-2 in the playoffs, has two Super Bowl rings – including his great final drive against Arizona – and a quarterback rating of 87.2 in the playoffs. That includes his bad performance in the Super Bowl win against Seattle, a bad first half in a playoff loss to Jacksonville and a typically bad playoff game against New England in the 2004 playoffs when he was a rookie.

For Manning, he is now 9-9 in the playoffs over his 12-year career, has one Super Bowl win, is coming off a bad finish against New Orleans and has a quarterback rating of 95.5 in the playoffs. If you break down the stats further, you’ll note that the Colts have asked Manning to do a lot more (38.4 attempts per game) than the Steelers have of Roethlisberger (28.8 attempts).

But the bottom line is that Roethlisberger has succeeded (he was great in the 2008 playoffs and also in the 2005 playoffs before the Super Bowl against Seattle) and Manning has struggled.
  3. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 02:39
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    From yahoo sports:

At the risk of being a heretic (or worse, completely agreeing with good friend Dutch Wydo), there is a case to be made that Ben Roethlisberger(notes) is a better quarterback than Peyton Manning(notes).

Before you send that email calling me crazy or mocking me only days after I wrote that Manning is ...[text shortened]... and also in the 2005 playoffs before the Super Bowl against Seattle) and Manning has struggled.
    He's not a heretic. He's an idiot.

Saying that Roethlisberger is better than Manning is like all those morons who were saying that Jeter was better than ARod.

The only possible manner in which Manning and Roethlisberger can even be compared is team success in the playoffs. What a horrible metric on which to judge the totality of a player.

If you had one game played tomorrow that you had to win or die and had an exactly average team around the QB and you had to choose between Roethlisberger and Manning, is anyone telling me they'd consider taking Roethlisberger for a second? Please.

And the same goes for Manning vs. Brady, though to a lesser extent.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 02:55
    Originally posted by sh76

Saying that Roethlisberger is better than Manning is like all those morons who were saying that Jeter was better than ARod.

The only possible manner in which Manning and Roethlisberger can even be compared is team success in the playoffs. What a horrible metric on which to judge the totality of a player.

If you had on ...[text shortened]... for a second? Please.

Sorry dude! I'd pick the winner and Manning abundantly demomstrated being both a loser and a sore loser. He was up against the worst D ever to play in a SB game and could not decipher their scheme. Roeshtsliberger is a proven winner. Show me the hardware is alls I say. And BTW, Jeter is way better than choke dude ARod. Again Jeter has the hardware to prove it and so do Montana, Bradshaw, Aikman, Graham, guys who never lost in a championship setting. Proven winners and never sore losers when booted early in playoffs. I still cannot believe manning left without extending congrats to Brees. Even Caldwell showed more class and I think the man's an idiot!
  5. Joined
    06 Feb '10
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 04:05
    Sorry dude! I'd pick the winner and Manning abundantly demomstrated being both a loser and a sore loser. He was up against the worst D ever to play in a SB game and could not decipher their scheme. Roeshtsliberger is a proven winner. Show me the hardware is alls I say. And BTW, Jeter is way better than choke dude ARod. Again Jeter has the hardware to pr ...[text shortened]... t extending congrats to Brees. Even Caldwell showed more class and I think the man's an idiot!
    Man let it go...That is old news.
    You act like you play for the Saints or some shyt.
  6. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 07:09
    From yahoo sports:

Before you send that email calling me crazy or mocking me only days after I wrote that Manning is ...[text shortened]... and also in the 2005 playoffs before the Super Bowl against Seattle) and Manning has struggled.
    Peyton Manning doesn't have Troy Polamolu, James Harrison and company to back him up like Ben does. Also let's look at who both teams have gotten in the SB.
    The Steelers got the Cardinals, who I believe were a Wild Card Team with the worst rushing attack in the league. The Colts got the 13-3 Saints, who only had one loss with their starters (at home against Dallas). In 2006, Peyton won against a Bears defense featuring a then-healthy Brian Urlacher, who may be remembered in the future as one of the best Mike linebackers of this generation. Ben got his first win against the Seahawks. Impressive.
  7. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 07:11

If you had on ...[text shortened]... for a second? Please.

win win win win win win win you said it all man! bravo on your absolute correctness!
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 17:511 edit
    Sorry dude! I'd pick the winner and Manning abundantly demomstrated being both a loser and a sore loser. He was up against the worst D ever to play in a SB game and could not decipher their scheme. Roeshtsliberger is a proven winner. Show me the hardware is alls I say. And BTW, Jeter is way better than choke dude ARod. Again Jeter has the hardware to pr ...[text shortened]... t extending congrats to Brees. Even Caldwell showed more class and I think the man's an idiot!
    What does being a sore loser have to do with how good a player you are?

Bellichik is the biggest sore loser in football and he's a great coach.

As for your other point, who's a better player, Luis Sojo and his 4 titles or Alex Rodriguez and his one title, or, heck, Ted Williams and his zero?

Let's put Sojo in the hall of fame.
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 22:10
    What does being a sore loser have to do with how good a player you are?

Bellichik is the biggest sore loser in football and he's a great coach.

As for your other point, who's a better player, Luis Sojo and his 4 titles or Alex Rodriguez and his one title, or, heck, Ted Williams and his zero?

Let's put Sojo in the hall of fame.
    POint half well taken. Jeter is still way better than ARod, steroid taker extraordinaire. Nuff said!
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '10 17:35
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    Peyton Manning doesn't have Troy Polamolu, James Harrison and company to back him up like Ben does. Also let's look at who both teams have gotten in the SB.
    The Steelers got the Cardinals, who I believe were a Wild Card Team with the worst rushing attack in the league. The Colts got the 13-3 Saints, who only had one loss with their starters (at ...[text shortened]... t Mike linebackers of this generation. Ben got his first win against the Seahawks. Impressive.
    By your assessment then Eli Manning is twice the QB than Peyton Manning since he beat an undefeated team in his SB win whereas elder Manning beat the lowly Bears! Nuff said!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree