1. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    16 Nov '09 10:351 edit
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/8311013.stm

    Argentina coach Diego Maradona has been banned from football for two months
    by Fifa for his furious outburst after last month's victory over Uruguay.
    Maradona, under pressure in the run-up to the match, directed an expletive-laden
    tirade, broadcast on live TV, at reporters and critics after the game.

    The 1-0 win ensured Argentina qualified for the 2010 World Cup in South Africa.
    The ban will run from 15 November to 15 January 2010, which means he will miss
    the World Cup draw on 4 December.

    He could also miss a home international friendly against the Czech Republic
    scheduled for 16 December at a so-far unspecified venue, though his role as coach
    at the World Cup will not be affected.

    Maradona, who attended the three-hour disciplinary committee hearing in Zurich,
    was also fined £15,000.


    ---

    So, the man got away with it, with a laughable fine and a 2 month ban falling on
    a time when there's no football duty for the man.

    Is this a recognition by FIFA that they don't mind misbehavior as long as it ignites
    media attention for their tourneys? The man spiced up the countdown to South
    Africa, no doubt, though his way may be a shame for the sport.
  2. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    16 Nov '09 10:45
    A WC match ban is a big thing. I understand that Fifa don't want to make it that harsh, but then they should at least ban him from a few of the next qualifiers, for example. If Argentina dumps him between now and then, well, so be it. They might even dump him faster because of it.
  3. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    16 Nov '09 10:491 edit
    Yup.

    I don't think he'll make it to the WC, though.
  4. Bramall Lane
    Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    38214
    16 Nov '09 11:42
    Originally posted by Seitse
    So, the man got away with it, with a laughable fine and a 2 month ban falling on
    a time when there's no football duty for the man.

    Is this a recognition by FIFA that they don't mind misbehavior as long as it ignites
    media attention for their tourneys? The man spiced up the countdown to South
    Africa, no doubt, though his way may be a shame for the sport.[/b]
    He's got away with everything he's ever done...
    Why do officials persist in protecting the cheating, salad dodging, Fray Bentos munching, one-footed, fat bar steward?

    1986 will never be forgotton.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Joined
    02 Aug '04
    Moves
    8702
    16 Nov '09 11:46
    Originally posted by blade68
    1986 will never be forgotton.
    He also wants you to remember.
  6. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    16 Nov '09 11:51
    Originally posted by blade68
    He's got away with everything he's ever done...
    Why do officials persist in protecting the cheating, salad dodging, Fray Bentos munching, one-footed, fat bar steward?

    1986 will never be forgotton.
    Calm down, mate. It's bygones and time to move on.

    Look, this will make you feel better...

    YouTube
  7. Bramall Lane
    Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    38214
    16 Nov '09 11:52
    Originally posted by Palynka
    He also wants you to remember.
    Diego Armando Maradona is a persistent thorn in every English football fans' side.
    Personally, I think his 'Hand of God' was just his way at getting back at the English after we'd kicked their asses in The Falklands!
  8. Standard memberFleabitten
    Love thy bobblehead
    Joined
    02 May '07
    Moves
    27105
    16 Nov '09 21:31
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Is this a recognition by FIFA that they don't mind misbehavior as long as it ignites
    media attention for their tourneys? The man spiced up the countdown to South
    Africa, no doubt, though his way may be a shame for the sport.
    This^. FIFA recognizes that it's not about the sport, but the spectacle. Look no further than the changes that resulted in the current UEFA playoff match ups. There was no way on God's green Earth that FIFA was willing to risk France and Portugal having to face one another in a playoff tie. More specific to Maradonna, he'll generate a lot of buzz once the tournament starts, so FIFA slaps his wrist, snorts a line with him, and has a good laugh. The beast must be fed.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    45179
    16 Nov '09 21:33
    Originally posted by blade68
    the cheating, salad dodging, Fray Bentos munching, one-footed, fat bar steward?
    I LOL'd at this even though I don't get the references.
  10. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    16 Nov '09 23:211 edit
    Originally posted by Seitse
    Calm down, mate. It's bygones and time to move on.

    Look, this will make you feel better...

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jk-kXwjASEE
    ah doesn't it make one feel good, probably one of the greatest sporting highlights of last century that goal!

    the Angles can say nothing in this regard, for as Diego himself explained, they cheated also in a world cup final, against Germany in 1966, people on the pitch during the course of play and a goal that had not even crossed the line, blatant cheating if ever there was. He is a folk hero and i wish they would erect a statue in his honour, beside Robert Bruce and the Wallace monument in Stirling castle for services rendered to the Scottish nation!
  11. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    17 Nov '09 00:57
    he may even do us the honour of becoming our new national coach!
  12. 6yd box
    Joined
    24 Jun '07
    Moves
    5179
    17 Nov '09 02:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    he may even do us the honour of becoming our new national coach!
    o dear- if your recent (by that i mean last 10 years) results were not bad enough!
  13. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    35068
    17 Nov '09 11:331 edit
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    He is a folk hero and i wish they would erect a statue in his honour, beside Robert Bruce and the Wallace monument in Stirling castle for services rendered to the Scottish nation!
    He's a hero in Argentina because he's their greatest ever player in their national sport, and he won them the world cup.

    He's a hero in Scotland because he once cheated against your next-door neighbours, and knocked them out of a competition they weren't going to win anyway.

    Have you any idea how tragic that sounds? You must be seriously short of national heroes.
  14. Bramall Lane
    Joined
    02 Aug '06
    Moves
    38214
    17 Nov '09 11:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    ah doesn't it make one feel good, probably one of the greatest sporting highlights of last century that goal!

    the Angles can say nothing in this regard, for as Diego himself explained, they cheated also in a world cup final, against Germany in 1966, people on the pitch during the course of play and a goal that had not even crossed the line, blat ...[text shortened]... Bruce and the Wallace monument in Stirling castle for services rendered to the Scottish nation!
    Get your facts right...the ball DID cross the line in 1966, and even if it hadn't te English players weren't trying to cheat, it would have been a mistake on the linesman's/referee's part.
  15. Standard memberSeitse
    Doug Stanhope
    That's Why I Drink
    Joined
    01 Jan '06
    Moves
    33672
    17 Nov '09 11:41
    God save the queen
    The fascist regime
    They made you a moron
    Potential H-bomb

    God save the queen
    She ain't no human being
    There is no future
    In England's dreaming

    Don't be told what you want
    Don't be told what you need
    There's no future, no future,
    No future for you

    God save the queen
    We mean it man
    We love our queen
    God saves

    God save the queen
    'Cause tourists are money
    And our figurehead
    Is not what she seems

    Oh God save history
    God save your mad parade
    Oh Lord God have mercy
    All crimes are paid

    When there's no future
    How can there be sin
    We're the flowers in the dustbin
    We're the poison in your human machine
    We're the future, your future

    God save the queen
    We mean it man
    We love our queen
    God saves

    God save the queen
    We mean it man
    And there is no future
    In England's dreaming

    No future, no future,
    No future for you
    No future, no future,
    No future for me

    No future, no future,
    No future for you
    No future, no future
    For you
Back to Top