Moves
    06 Feb '11 17:53
    What has Dalglish been feeding him? 😲
  2. In your face
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 20:32
    Originally posted by Palynka
    What has Dalglish been feeding him? 😲
    Must refrain from answering this. Nnnnggg.
  3. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 21:01
    Originally posted by jimslyp69
    Must refrain from answering this. Nnnnggg.
    You must not!
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 21:561 edit
    You must not!
    He has been truly outstanding for Liverpool. I watched him since the Everton match cause my wee boy is a Liverpool fan, he has just come into his own, a truly naturally gifted player and a joy to watch.
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 22:24
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    my wee boy is a Liverpool fan
    Nobody's perfect, eh? 🙂
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    06 Feb '11 23:46
    Nobody's perfect, eh? 🙂
    he was devastated when Torres left, had the Spanish national kit as well as the official Liverpool one, he will come around I hope. What Dagleish has accomplished is nothing short of miraculous. I think, although i am no expert, Meireles has been given a much looser and attacking role and he is relishing the opportunity, his goal against Wolves was just amazing!
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    09 Feb '11 22:41
    25 Nov '10
    By ACM do you mean like a Ozil/Sneijder type of player? He's not particularly technical to play there, I think. You need a refined first touch for that, as you tend to receive the ball under pressure already. He's great at transitions, though, as he doesn't hog the ball and can also do his runs in the box. If you had better wingers, I think a trio of Lucas, Meireles and Gerrard could work very well.

25 Nov '10
    Originally posted by Angry Boy

He's certainly better in the middle, no doubt. He's also an effective replacement for Gerrard at ACM on occasions - Cole has yet to show me that he can play that position effectively.

I prefer Gerrard where he can do the most damage (ACM) and not where he's got to be a bit more disciplined (CM), and with Meireles with Lucas in CM allows Meireles to get forward in support or ping a few of those long shots of his.

There's no way it'll happen but I wish Gerrard would let him take the corners. The WHU game was the first time I actually thought we looked dangerous from them with him taking them. We actually scored one albeit against the worst PL team I've seen in some time.
  8. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    09 Feb '11 23:30
    We seem to agree more than disagree there. We both thought it would be best to have Gerrard at ACM and Meireles at CM, although you were definitely more positive about his ability to play more upfront. So fair play to you.

I'm not going to lie, how well he's doing in a more forward role is a huge surprise (to every football fan I know who followed Meireles at Porto) and he seems to be oozing with confidence, although obviously I don't think this frequency of goal scoring is going to last. The question is how big will it be going forward.

What is beyond doubt is that Liverpool have finally found their preferred midfield and it includes Meireles more forward and Gerrard more central. Meireles and Lucas seemed to just click perfectly in the current system and their performances went up several levels.
  9. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '11 12:46
    I want to see Meireles taking more corners and set pieces too, his delivery is excellent. I think Dalglish has given Raul, Gerrard and Lucas the licence to get up and beyond the ball as long as one of them covers - with Meireles normally more advanced of the three. It's an attack minded system, especially with our two wide(r) men getting up to join the striker at every opp. It all hinges on Gerrard though - he has to know when to sit, and that's something that he's never been particularly good at.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree