1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    16 Jul '11 11:38
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Did you see what Pujols did with Chapman's fastball late in the game.
    Phillips saved them with the walk-off homer.

Pirates in first place for the first time in how many years?
    Clint Hurdle has to be in a horse race with Terry Collins for M-O-T-Y honors.
    With Pittsburgh, Milwaukee, St.Louis and Cincy all playing well, that may be the best
    division race in baseball, surpassing the AL East.
    Wasn't his best; "only" 96 MPH. He walked Rasmus and went 2-0 on Albert then grooved one. He has to throw strikes consistently like anybody else to be effective.

BP might have saved the season for us, but the next two with the Cards and then 3 against the Pirates are huge. If we go at least 3-2, we're right in this thing.
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    17 Jul '11 20:06
    Win 2 out of three against the Cards with Homer Bailey coming up big today and Coco finally remembering how to close a game (getting the St. Louis Big Three of Pujols, Holliday and Berkman 1-2-3 in the 9th). Cozart our rookie call up at SS hit his first major league HR and is now a sizzling 10 for 25 (.400).

Three big games in Pittsburgh followed by a 10 game home-stand. Time to make a run.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    28 Jul '11 22:30
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Win 2 out of three against the Cards with Homer Bailey coming up big today and Coco finally remembering how to close a game (getting the St. Louis Big Three of Pujols, Holliday and Berkman 1-2-3 in the 9th). Cozart our rookie call up at SS hit his first major league HR and is now a sizzling 10 for 25 (.400).

Three big games in Pittsburgh followed by a 10 game home-stand. Time to make a run.
    I think they ran for the exits.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 00:20
    I think they ran for the exits.
    Certainly getting swept at home by the Mets pretty much kills any chance of the Reds winning the division. The team has been a puzzling disappointment though injuries have certainly been a factor.

Unlike whodey, I'm not going to blame the sub-par results on two guys; one who has virtually the same numbers as last year (Stubbs) and one doing significantly better (Bruce). Certainly the pitching hasn't been as good as expected with Volquez a total loss, Arroyo having his worst year as a Red and Travis Wood not progressing. The bullpen's had its ups and downs with Masset not pitching well, Chapman being totally ineffective in stretches and Coco blowing two big games against the Brewers right before the break. Offensively the team has been pretty good despite getting very poor production at SS (before Cozart came up and he promptly got hurt while hitting .324), 3B (Rolen looks like his shoulder hasn't healed and is now on the DL) and in LF (where Gomes hit a miserable .211 before being traded. Still they are among the league leaders in most offensive categories so that hasn't been the main issue.

If I was Jocketty, I'd start playing a few more of the youngsters: Frazier at 3B, Yonder in LF and I'd probably trade Hernandez and give blue chip C prospect Mesoraco most of the PT at C (reportedly he was "untouchable" even in a Jimenez trade). Who knows; maybe they could kick start the team like Stubbs did two years ago when they finished 27-13. There doesn't seem to be much to lose at this point.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    29 Jul '11 01:20
    Certainly getting swept at home by the Mets pretty much kills any chance of the Reds winning the division. The team has been a puzzling disappointment though injuries have certainly been a factor.

Unlike whodey, I'm not going to blame the sub-par results on two guys; one who has virtually the same numbers as last year (Stubbs) and one d ...[text shortened]... ars ago when they finished 27-13. There doesn't seem to be much to lose at this point.
    Hell, at least they have a bright nucleus. In Houston we can't wait for the new owner
    to take over so he can fire that idiot Ed Wade.
    I also hope that dolt doesn't trade Hunter Pence.
    It would be easier to trade Michael Bourne with Jason Bourgeois basically the same
    player waiting in return.
    Carlos Lee is also a load no one wants.
    Trade Wandy Rodriguez too.
    I just hope we don't lose 100 games, but is looking more and more like we will.
    Wonder who the number one pick will be next season???
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 04:092 edits

Unlike whodey, I'm not going to blame the sub-par results on two guys; one who has virtually the same numbers as last year (Stubbs) and one d ars ago when they finished 27-13. There doesn't seem to be much to lose at this point.
    I never intended to blame the whole mess on Bruce and Stubbs. In fact, I would agree that pitching is what has done them in. I would add that both Stubbs and Bruce need to get a clue if they are going to make a legitimate run with good pitching, however.

What I find puzzling is the fact that they brought up youngsters like Yonder, but refuse to play them consistantly. Why? They would be better off hitting ever day in the minors.

All I know is that the Reds have a limited time to figure it out. When Votto's contract runs out he will probably be wearing Yankee pin stripes.

Inexplicably, the Reds are still in the race, now that they have swept the Giants and could possibly do so in Houston and then in Chicago. All I know is that this division is terrible. Whoever reluctantly wins it will probably lose first round.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 16:15
    Originally posted by whodey
    Blah, blah, blah.

The Reds win it all this year!!

As for pitching, we don't need no stinking pitching!!

😵
    Hummmm, it appears you were a tad mistaken when you said this as well.

A) The Reds won't win it this year.

B) Apparently you do need pitching to win.
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    01 Aug '11 17:511 edit
    Hummmm, it appears you were a tad mistaken when you said this as well.

A) The Reds won't win it this year.

B) Apparently you do need pitching to win.
    The D-Backs have moved into contention with a record of 59-49 with a team ERA slightly worse then the Reds.

What's killed us lately is the inexplicable bad record in one run games.

Just when I'm totally ready to count them out, the Reds do something like sweep the defending champions. Their next 16 games are against sub-.500 clubs (except one three game set with the Bucs), so a run is possible. The Cards and Brewers have a bunch of games left with each other, so perhaps they can knock each other around.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 00:00
    The D-Backs have moved into contention with a record of 59-49 with a team ERA slightly worse then the Reds.

Just when I'm totally ready to count them out, the Reds do something like sweep the defending champions. Their next 16 games are against sub ...[text shortened]... ewers have a bunch of games left with each other, so perhaps they can knock each other around.
    True enough, but those same Diamondbacks also got JJ Putz back, traded
    for Jason Marquis and for Brad Ziegler, so they figure to get much better
    in the pitching department.

The Reds did nothing to speak of.

We will see how it plays out, but they better learn how to beat the Pirates quick,
    and pray for a lot of help.
  10. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 01:38
    True enough, but those same Diamondbacks also got JJ Putz back, traded
    for Jason Marquis and for Brad Ziegler, so they figure to get much better
    in the pitching department.

The Reds did nothing to speak of.

We will see how it plays out, but they better learn how to beat the Pirates quick,
    and pray for a lot of help.
    We've had a 3.14 ERA so far in the 2nd half. Cueto now leads the majors in ERA.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 02:55
    We've had a 3.14 ERA so far in the 2nd half. Cueto now leads the majors in ERA.
    If Cueto can pitch 5 games a week for you, then you're all set.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 03:24

Just when I'm totally ready to count them out, the Reds do something like sweep the defending champions. Their next 16 games are against sub ...[text shortened]... ewers have a bunch of games left with each other, so perhaps they can knock each other around.
    Astros 4-3. Red beaters. 😛
  13. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 12:35
    Astros 4-3. Red beaters. 😛
    How do you feel about the Lastro's possible move to the AL?

Just curious, baseball guru.
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Aug '11 16:48
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    How do you feel about the Lastro's possible move to the AL?

Just curious, baseball guru.
    As you know, I am not a proponent of the DH, so that would suck.
    However, geographic rivalry with the Rangers would be pretty cool.
    I wouldn't mind the AL West division as far as competition goes.

While it is far form a done deal, it makes perfect sense for balancing the leagues
    into equivalently sized divisions.

But no one has ever accused MLB of doing anything smart.
  15. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    03 Aug '11 04:01
    As you know, I am not a proponent of the DH, so that would suck.
    However, geographic rivalry with the Rangers would be pretty cool.
    I wouldn't mind the AL West division as far as competition goes.

While it is far form a done deal, it makes perfect sense for balancing the leagues
    into equivalently sized divisions.

But no one has ever accused MLB of doing anything smart.
    I know. Growing up and playing Little League, I couldn't imagine being a pitcher and not being able to hit! Terrible gimmick to the old traditional game I say. Why stop at the pitcher? Why not just let one team defend, and another 9 players come to bat?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree