Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. Standard member PocketKings
    Banned from edits
    14 Nov '07 23:14
    I originally screwed up and put this in general. It wasn't my fault!

    But anyway...

    Rollins or Holliday for NL MVP?

    You know my vote is for Rollins


    I say Rollins gets MVP and Holliday gets the respectable but slightly less prestigious Player of the Year
  2. 15 Nov '07 04:01
    i'd vote for holliday. I think his numbers are absolutely tremendous and the humidor decreases colorado numbers. I know rollins had a great season and is shortstop but henley ramerez and jose reyes ar also great shortstops so the fact that he is a short stop does not give him as much of a boost as it would in a different year.
  3. Standard member uzless
    The So Fist
    16 Nov '07 16:50 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    I originally screwed up and put this in general. It wasn't my fault!

    Were you trying to be Hans or Lando there?
  4. 16 Nov '07 16:56
    I'd have to go with Rollins. What Colorado did to close the season was incredible but Rollins is the leader of the Phillies team. He is the heart/soul/voice of the Phillies and deserves the award for not only his leadership but for the incredible all-around numbers he put up this year.

    Matt Holliday will definitely have his time in the sun though. The kid has an amazing career ahead of him. He'd be my first round pick in fantasy baseball next year.
  5. 16 Nov '07 16:56
    Also - Troy Tulowitzki should have been the NL ROY.
  6. Subscriber shortcircuit
    The Energizer
    17 Nov '07 05:18
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I'd have to go with Rollins. What Colorado did to close the season was incredible but Rollins is the leader of the Phillies team. He is the heart/soul/voice of the Phillies and deserves the award for not only his leadership but for the incredible all-around numbers he put up this year.

    Matt Holliday will definitely have his time in the sun though ...[text shortened]... as an amazing career ahead of him. He'd be my first round pick in fantasy baseball next year.
    I personally would vote for Holliday, but he won't win because of the number of voters in the east who will give it to Rollins. Rollins is a nice player, but his numbers do not stand out relative to many other players in the league. I will grant you that they are in the top 3 among shortstops in the NL, but I think Holliday was a greater run producer for a club that was expected to do nothing at all, plus one that made one of the most amazing come from behind stretch runs in history just to make the playoffs.
  7. 20 Nov '07 19:46 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I personally would vote for Holliday, but he won't win because of the number of voters in the east who will give it to Rollins. Rollins is a nice player, but his numbers do not stand out relative to many other players in the league. I will grant you that they are in the top 3 among shortstops in the NL, but I think Holliday was a greater run producer fo ...[text shortened]... ade one of the most amazing come from behind stretch runs in history just to make the playoffs.
    I disagree. Find me a player in the NL with greater all-around offensive and defensive numbers than Rollins. The man did everything this year, hit lead-off, hit third, hit clean-up, stole bases, hit home runs, drove in runs, led the league in extra base hits, hit 300, led the league in runs, top 3 in hits, joined the 20-20-20-20 club, won a gold glove, was the unanimous leader in a clubhouse that also made an incredible run to the pennant, etc.

    And all you can say is that Holliday produced runs. That's under-selling him a bit in my opinion. No doubt he's an amazingly gifted player with a bright future. Sure the Rockies had a terrific Sept. run but that was a team effort and does not warrant handing their best player the most prestigious individual award.

    I'm happy Rollins got the award.
  8. 20 Nov '07 22:01
    I would have voted for Holliday but Rollins had a great year too.
    What REALLY annoys me is hearing it is an east coast bias.
    The biggest bias in voting is from the Midwest (see AL voting where the only two people who did not vote for A-Rod were Michigan voters).

    Rollins is a team leader, a golden glove shortstop who plays every day. He led the league in runs triples and at bats. Was second in hits and extra base hits. Even he wasn't my first choice, I don't want to hear someone picked him because they were biased. That just isn't true.
  9. Standard member nmdavidb
    I Drank What? ©
    20 Nov '07 22:45
    Okay just for the record Rollins was not in the top 5 in the three major batting categories..average, home runs, and rbi's. Holliday led 2 of them!!

    BA = .340
    HR's= 36
    RBI's = 137

    Rollins

    BA = .296 ( cmon guys that is not even close to Holliday )
    HR's = 30 ( ok that is good )
    RBI's = 94

    And here is a bigger kicker...Holliday did a better job for HALF the money!

    Rollins 2007 salary = 8 mil
    Holliday = 4.4 mil

    And finally the Rockies can say that Holliday is the best player on or team...Rollins isn't the best player on his.

    Dave
  10. Standard member PocketKings
    Banned from edits
    21 Nov '07 13:46
    Originally posted by nmdavidb
    Okay just for the record Rollins was not in the top 5 in the three major batting categories..average, home runs, and rbi's. Holliday led 2 of them!!

    BA = .340
    HR's= 36
    RBI's = 137

    Rollins

    BA = .296 ( cmon guys that is not even close to Holliday )
    HR's = 30 ( ok that is good )
    RBI's = 94

    And here is a bigger kicker...Holliday did a better ...[text shortened]... hat Holliday is the best player on or team...Rollins isn't the best player on his.

    Dave
    Rollins is the mvp, get over it
  11. 21 Nov '07 15:24
    I like holliday over rollins but lets be serious about two things
    (1) Rollins blows Holliday away in runs, stolen bases. He's also a golden glove short stop
    (2) No contribution in baseball is more ignored than run scoring, base stealing players who play important defensive positions. Rollins was much better than Howard (who smacks the ball around but does little else) and played 162 games (unlike Utley who misssed a month due to injury.