1. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 12:40
    There is talk on my local sports radio saying the NL should switch over to using the DH. I personally like watching a pitcher hit, but it's almost a guaranteed out.

Any NL fans out there have thoughts, or anyone?

P-
  2. USA
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 16:01
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    There is talk on my local sports radio saying the NL should switch over to using the DH. I personally like watching a pitcher hit, but it's almost a guaranteed out.

P-
    I don't get the idea of using the pitcher to hit, whats the purpose?
  3. Standard memberHandyAndy
    Read a book!
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 16:23
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    I don't get the idea of using the pitcher to hit, whats the purpose?
    Babe Ruth?
  4. SubscriberSmookiePonline
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 16:43
    Why stop at the pitcher? Why not just have a whole new team up to bat besides the one on the field? That way the defensemen will get plenty of rest, and the hitters won't harm their tootsies~ 😉
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    28 Oct '07 17:032 edits
    No DH for the pitcher. Besides you might want to pitch towards to pitcher for what he did to your batter.
  6. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 16:12

P-
    I like making the pitchers hit. Maybe they aren't the best with the bat, but it often keeps small-ball alive at the bottom of the order if they're any good at bunting. Some pitchers actually enjoy swinging, and I always liked watching the Atlanta Braves pitchers Maddux, Smoltz, and Glavine (who had a challenge among themselves as who was the best batter) go to the plate and work to get on base.

I like bunts and knuckleballs.

IRNG 40
  7. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 17:59

P-
    I wish the American league would get rid of the DH. National league games have way more strategy involved in the late innings and it makes the game more interesting.
  8. Joined
    13 Sep '06
    Moves
    29 Oct '07 19:04

P-
    Personally, If it was up to me, I would have the AL drop the Designated Hitter. Having the pitcher bat adds another element of strategy to the game. This is the reason the #8 hitter is so important in the NL, he needs to get on so the pitcher doesn't lead off. Also, I dislike the idea of a DH in general. Why should there be one batter who doesn't have to play the field? As someone else in this thread said, you might as well have 9 batters who don't play the field. Make it like football where the defense and offense are totally different.
  9. DonationChris
    Site Admin
    Wimbledon
    Moves
    30 Oct '07 05:32
    Originally posted by Arachnarchist
    Personally, If it was up to me, I would have the AL drop the Designated Hitter. Having the pitcher bat adds another element of strategy to the game. This is the reason the #8 hitter is so important in the NL, he needs to get on so the pitcher doesn't lead off. Also, I dislike the idea of a DH in general. Why should there be one batter who doesn't h ...[text shortened]... t play the field. Make it like football where the defense and offense are totally different.
    Absolutely agree - I think you either have two teams - offense and defense, or you use the NL rules and have the pitcher hit - no DH. I don't know a great deal about the game, catching what I can late at night here in the UK, but I see more interesting situations come about with NL rules whether it be with the pitcher pulling of a great hit (as in the WS this year) or the substitution strategy to bring in a pinch hitter.

More than that though, I like the fact that the NL and the AL have different rules as it spices up the WS for a simpleton like me...
  10. This is embarrasking
    Moves
    30 Oct '07 09:22
    The only real advantages I can see to having Designated hitters is the ability as a fan to have a better chance to see more balls in play. It allows a Pitcher who is the most active in the game to get a little bit more rest after standing out on the mound in between innings and reduce the possibility of injury to the players that are the hardest and usually the most expensive to replace if lost for the season. One other advantage in the specialty player is longevity for some of the older star players who can still hit but no longer has the ability to field the ball as well. Or allowing a young player that can swing a great bat a chance into the league he might not have otherwise. I have a feeling It's a debate that is going to continue in base ball because it is a part of history now and both ways work and both ways ad to the pleasure of the sport in some way. Part of the pleasure is the debate.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 16:08

P-
    There are few pitchers out there who can hit. The Tulane Bomber in Arizona is frequently used as a pinch hitter and is actually a better power hitter than 4 of their regular hitters. But, overall, you are correct, pitchers are not very good hitters. That is why the NL managers have alot more strategy to deal with regarding the pitchers and hitting for them. It also accounts for the reason that ERA's are lower in the NL. As a former pitcher, I didn't particularly care for the DH because I liked to hit and because I liked to coast through the lower half of the opposing batting order. But, there were times that I admit having enjoyed the luxury of the DH on those 100 degree afternoons against strong teams where not having to deal with hitting or running the bases allowed me to conserve some energy and have some juice left in the tank for the final inning or two. I think the major proponent of the DH are whether you prefer more offense in a game, or if you prefer a lower scoring game dominated by pitching and defense. The other difference would be managerial moves and tactics. I prefer a brilliant 1-0 or 2-1 game more than 11-8 slugfests, but that is just my preference.
  12. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 Nov '07 16:11
    Originally posted by Arachnarchist
    Personally, If it was up to me, I would have the AL drop the Designated Hitter. Having the pitcher bat adds another element of strategy to the game. This is the reason the #8 hitter is so important in the NL, he needs to get on so the pitcher doesn't lead off. Also, I dislike the idea of a DH in general. Why should there be one batter who doesn't h ...[text shortened]... t play the field. Make it like football where the defense and offense are totally different.
    Take a look at what Tony LaRussa is playing with though. He likes to bat the pitcher 8th. Now thnk about that #9 hitter as a leadoff hitter followed by your #1 hitter and he has created the semblence of to long inning possibilities bunched around an out. Interesting concept. I am not sure it will revolutionize the game, but it is fresh, and it has seemed to work for him.
  13. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    05 Nov '07 20:01

P-
    Its been voted on by the owners a few times. I think it just missed by 2 votes last time. It will probably happen within the next 5 to 10 years
  14. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 16:57
    Originally posted by Chris
    Absolutely agree - I think you either have two teams - offense and defense, or you use the NL rules and have the pitcher hit - no DH. I don't know a great deal about the game, catching what I can late at night here in the UK, but I see more interesting situations come about with NL rules whether it be with the pitcher pulling of a great hit (as in the WS this ...[text shortened]... t that the NL and the AL have different rules as it spices up the WS for a simpleton like me...
    In principal I'm against the DH.

I think that the bigger issue is that the NL seems to be at a decided disadvantage in the World Series because they usually don't have a DH ready to play that position.
  15. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    06 Nov '07 17:22
    Originally posted by Red Night
    In principal I'm against the DH.

I think that the bigger issue is that the NL seems to be at a decided disadvantage in the World Series because they usually don't have a DH ready to play that position.
    They will not drop the DH, it will be much more likely be part of the NL soon.

The only thing I will miss about pitchers batting is laughing my a$$ of at watching them try to bunt, its almost like they never learned.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree