1. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 07:02
    Manti Te'o's Heisman bid started as a pipe dream in mid-September, when the linebacker received plenty of national attention for his outstanding performances against Michigan State and Michigan while dealing with a devastating tragedy. A month later, Te'o's Heisman chances became legitimate when he intercepted Landry Jones in Norman, sealing Notre Dame's biggest win in nearly two decades. And after Notre Dame beat USC to finish its first undefeated regular season in 24 years, the argument became loud and clear:

If Te'o doesn't get the Heisman Trophy, no defensive player ever will. "If a guy like Manti Te'o's not going to win the Heisman, they should just make it an offensive award," coach Brian Kelly said in Los Angeles. . . . On Thursday, Te'o broke Charles Woodson's record for most awards won in a single season. In winning the Maxwell Award -- Te'o's sixth -- he topped Woodson's five won in 1997. One of those awards won by Woodson was the Heisman Trophy, although Te'o is hardly a slam dunk to to win college football's most prestigious honor.

Te'o earned an invite to the Heisman presentation in New York as one of three finalists, meaning he'll be the first defensive player who didn't play offense or special teams to have a top-three Heisman finish since Pittsburgh's Hugh Green in 1980. A handful of defense-only players have finished in the top four -- most recently, Nebraska's Ndamukong Suh -- while Alex Karras and Green are the only two defenders to finish in the top three without playing on offense.

Woodson is heralded as the last defensive player to win the Heisman Trophy, but his bid was aided by his explosive returning ability and moonlighting as a receiver. Te'o doesn't have any of that -- his impact comes only on the defensive side of the ball. And it's a been a huge impact, one that has propelled Notre Dame to an undefeated season and bid in the BCS Championship. . . . So what doesn't make him Heisman Trophy material?

It's [not] exactly about what Te'o is lacking, it's about what Texas A&M's Johnny Manziel has done. It's Manziel -- not Cam Newton, not Tim Tebow -- who holds the SEC record for total offense, racking up 4,600 yards in his redshirt freshman campaign. With a new coach and new quarterback, Texas A&M actually wound up averaging more points per game this year against fearsome SEC defenses than they did last year against the Swiss cheese defenses of the Big 12, and that was with Ryan Tannehill as the team's quarterback. . . . Manziel is a deserving candidate. So is Te'o. But only one can win the award -- and all signs point to Manziel . . . In a situation where there are multiple deserving candidates, one will get snubbed. This year, that guy is likely to be Te'o, and he just so happens to play defense. . . .

http://www.csnchicago.com/12/06/12/Historic-Heisman-Teo-deserving-but-past-/nbcsportsnd.html?blockID=810709&feedID=3126
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 09:15
    Young Manziel, veteran Te'o develop kinship in Heisman spotlight

. . . . Over the past two days, Manziel also has struck up a kinship with Te'o, as the two Heisman leaders have leaned on each other in the hysteria surrounding college football's most coveted individual award.

"I thought he might stuff me in a locker and beat up on me a little bit," Manziel said, chuckling about the upperclassman Te'o, who's 55 pounds heavier and an inch taller. "But to find out how good we click has been awesome. … I told him, 'You're the veteran in all of this, and I'm the little pup.'" . . . .

"He's a cool guy who loves to chill and be with his family, and he doesn't like the spotlight too much," Te'o said. "He's just like me."
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 18:011 edit
    I still say, if they don't give the award to Te'o, then they may as well change the name
    to Offensive Player of the Year.

Te'o already won the Maxwell, which is supposed to be the player of the year.

I am just curious how the "player of the year" was not "the best player"?

The Maxwell Award is presented annually to the collegiate American football player judged by a panel of sportscasters, sportswriters, and National Collegiate Athletic Association head coaches and the membership of the Maxwell Football Club to be the best football player in the United States
  4. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    08 Dec '12 21:421 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Te'o already won the Maxwell, which is supposed to be the player of the year.

I am just curious how the "player of the year" was not "the best player"?
    I think you know they answer to your question. It has definitely happened before that the same player is not awarded both the Maxwell and Heisman. After all, different voters.

On a different point, the Heisman is the most coveted award in college football and overshadows the Maxwell. Most people do not even know the Maxwell, whereas everyone knows the Heisman.

Moreover, while you make a good point about changing the Heisman to offensive player only, that will never happen.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 02:11
    Originally posted by moon1969
    [quote]Manti Te'o's Heisman bid started as a pipe dream in mid-September, when the linebacker received plenty of national attention for his outstanding performances against Michigan State and Michigan while dealing with a devastating tragedy. A month later, Te'o's Heisman chances became legitimate when he intercepted Landry Jones in Norman, sealing Notre ...[text shortened]... serving-but-past-/nbcsportsnd.html?blockID=810709&feedID=3126
    That's a load of crap! Johnny Manziel for Heisman put this out comparing A&M’s Dat Nguyen’s numbers with Manti Te’o. Nguyen had 147 tackles, Te’o 103. Nguyen 20 tackles for loss, Teo 5.5. Nguyen had 4 interceptions, Te’o 7. Nguyen had 4 sacks, Te’o 2. Nruyen had 4 forced fumbles, Te’o…zero. Nguyen had 1 touchdown to Te’o…zero. Nguyen’s team went 11-2, won the Big XII Championship and defeated number 2 ranked Oklahoma and number 1 ranked Kansas State in the Big XII title game. Dat Nguyen wasn’t considered for the Heisman but his numbers are better. Manti T'eo is an overinflated player not even the best defensive player in college this year. Just look at Georgia's middle linebacker's stats and compare. Manti T'eo is not even the best LB in college!
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    09 Dec '12 02:12
    Needless argument now that fortunately Manti T'eo did not win as he shouldn't have!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree