New Olympic sports

New Olympic sports

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a

Moves
20 Aug 09

Originally posted by Crowley
Sure, golf is huge and that counted in its favour, but it will piss me off (I wanted squash in), if the Olympics come around and none of the top golfers come to compete because they just couldn't care less. And this may happen.

Whereas with the likes of squash we would have seen the top players there every four years...
I totally agree with you. I have been playing squash for the past thirty years, and cannot understand why it hasn't been included as an Olympic sport. It's very popular in the Middle East. Their top players are treated like top celebrities. Also, IMHO, golf isn't a sport, it's a leisure pursuit. There is no way Colin Montgomerie ( who closely resembles my old dinner lady from school ) and others could be called sportsmen. They don't even carry their own bags in case they get tired!!! If you can smoke a cigarette whilst doing it, it's not a sport.

h

Moves
20 Aug 09

Originally posted by acb123
if you can smoke a cigarette whilst doing it, it's not a sport.
I've smoked cigarettes while playing football or cricket.

What does anyone think of the idea of having computer (or console) gaming as an Olympic sport? There'd be some big sponsors. It'd be so 21st Century.

P
Upward Spiral

Halfway

Moves
20 Aug 09

Sure, golf is huge and that counted in its favour, but it will piss me off (I wanted squash in), if the Olympics come around and none of the top golfers come to compete because they just couldn't care less. And this may happen.

Whereas with the likes of squash we would have seen the top players there every four years...
Well, I think I'd see what happens in the next Olympics and if they don't bother to show up then give them the boot. Sounds reasonable?

Squash would be a nice addition too.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
20 Aug 09

Originally posted by Seitse
Wow, I thought this thread was tongue in cheek.

Crowley, be honest: do you really, really, really, really care about (or watch at all) the Olympics?

If so, kudos to you. Man, they're sooooo 1980s.
I don't care about the Olympics as a spectacle, but I love watching sports, especially team sports, where countries compete. This makes parts of the Olympics great to watch.
Plus I get to see interesting sports that I otherwise never get to see like the kayaking, fencing and beach volleyball 😛

Gymnastics can be scrapped though, and I won't bat an eye.

C
Not Aleister

Control room

Moves
20 Aug 09

Originally posted by acb123
I totally agree with you. I have been playing squash for the past thirty years, and cannot understand why it hasn't been included as an Olympic sport. It's very popular in the Middle East. Their top players are treated like top celebrities. Also, IMHO, golf isn't a sport, it's a leisure pursuit. There is no way Colin Montgomerie ( who closely resembles my old ...[text shortened]... in case they get tired!!! If you can smoke a cigarette whilst doing it, it's not a sport.
I wouldn't go so far as to lump golf in with walks in the park and feeding the pigeons, but it's definitely an atrocity that squash has never been included.

M

Moves
21 Aug 09
1 edit

I don't care about the Olympics as a spectacle, but I love watching sports, especially team sports, where countries compete. This makes parts of the Olympics great to watch.
Plus I get to see interesting sports that I otherwise never get to see like the kayaking, fencing and beach volleyball 😛

Gymnastics can be scrapped though, and I won't bat an eye.
The olympics provide you with two weeks packed with world championship events, many of them in sports that normally get very little attention. It allows someone like Michael Phelps to be honored for the incredible feats that he has accomplished - otherwise, it'd be oh, he's a swimmer, who care's about swimming sort of thing.

Another thing I like about the olympics is that it's one of the few times when women's accomplishments are valued as much as the men - the gold medal is equally special for both genders. Outside of the olympics, the only other time this comes close to happening is women's tennis.

And the olympics always seems to provide those golden teardrop moments -- yes the media loves these, but some of those moments are truly special -- and there are also all those lead medal moments and collosal screw-ups that are especially cruel in an event that only happens every four years.

I do agree that they should add squash. And they need to find things that India is good at (such as cricket) because a country with over a billion people should be able to get more than a couple medals per olympics.

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
21 Aug 09

Eh? Mike Weir?
Golf has been an Olympic event in the past, but only once, and the winner of the gold medal was a Canadian. That medal is now on display at the Rosedale Golf Club in Toronto.

L

Moves
05 Sep 09

ultimate frisbee