1. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    23 Mar '10 23:53
    What's the best way to do it?

I've never liked sudden death. The new playoff rules seem to be a wounded step in the right direction...but still lacking. [http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064]

I'd rather see them play a full period (or maybe shortened to 10 or 12 minutes) and see who scores most. (If still tied, continue to another OT -- maybe even shorter).

Or...

College rules. I didn't like the college OT rule change when it was first implemented (I miss having the kickoff), but I admit that I like it very much now. It's exciting. It's fair. It's pretty simple.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 03:28
    what's the college rule? i never liked the ot rule in any nfl game... any one game could mean the difference between getting into the playoffs or not, having home field advantage or not... even something as simple yet potentially rewarding as the college draft order. every game is just too important to each team to lose one because you called heads and it was a tail.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 11:56
    Originally posted by trev33
    what's the college rule? i never liked the ot rule in any nfl game... any one game could mean the difference between getting into the playoffs or not, having home field advantage or not... even something as simple yet potentially rewarding as the college draft order. every game is just too important to each team to lose one because you called heads and it was a tail.
    College rule: each team gets noe possession at the opponent's 25 yard line and tries to score. AFter two such periods if the game is still tied once you score a TD you must go for a 2 point extra point play!
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 17:08
    Originally posted by Traveling Again
    What's the best way to do it?

I've never liked sudden death. The new playoff rules seem to be a wounded step in the right direction...but still lacking. [http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5022064]

I'd rather see them play a full period (or maybe shortened to 10 or 12 minutes) and see who scores most. (If still tied, continue to anot ...[text shortened]... ut I admit that I like it very much now. It's exciting. It's fair. It's pretty simple.
    according to the article, since 1994, the team winning the coin toss in OT has won the game about 60% of the time - since they moved the kickoff back from the 35 to the 30.

The don't give any stats for what it was before 1994, but I'm assuming it was pretty close to 50%. So why not just move the OT kickoff up to the 35 (or even the 40) to give the receiving team a little less of an advantage? That would be the easiest approach.

On the other hand, the new rules would make it less "obvious" that you would want the ball first. The team that goes first has to deal with certain dilemmas - suppose you drive the ball inside the 10. Do you kick the easy FG on first down, knowing you'll still be giving the other team one more chance - or do you go for the TD and end it right away? It might even make more sense to go for it on 4th down - if you score it's over, if you don't, you can make a stop and get the ball in great field position for an almost sure game-winning FG. So the strategies here might be rather interesting.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    24 Mar '10 17:13
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    College rule: each team gets noe possession at the opponent's 25 yard line and tries to score. AFter two such periods if the game is still tied once you score a TD you must go for a 2 point extra point play!
    I like this approach - but not when they put it on the 25 yd line. You're essentially giving the other team a FG just for showing up, and it seems like both sides usually score a couple of TDs before the game gets decided. Put the ball on the 40 (or even the 50) and make them have to get a first down before they can get into reasonable FG range.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 01:29
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I like this approach - but not when they put it on the 25 yd line. You're essentially giving the other team a FG just for showing up, and it seems like both sides usually score a couple of TDs before the game gets decided. Put the ball on the 40 (or even the 50) and make them have to get a first down before they can get into reasonable FG range.
    NO argument at all. Way too easy, yet few games ever turn into a field goal contest because once the starting team kicks a field goal the other team pretty much has it in the bag! I like your idea better, however.
  7. Standard memberTraveling Again
    I'm 1/4 Ninja
    Moves
    25 Mar '10 01:47
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I agree - I'd like to see the line farther back than the 25.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree