1. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 18:47
    Originally posted by CliffLandin
    Will you ever admit that a Big 10 team was simply beaten, not because they "played bad", but because the other team played better? Your parents need to teach you to admit when you are wrong.

You were dead wrong about Michigan and you were dead wrong about OSU - should we go back and get your quotes?

Just admit it.

They were both out played and out coached.
    Simple-minded answers for simple-minded viewers.

Americans hate complex questions and utterly detest complex answers. More than two choices is too many! Coke or Pepsi? McDonalds or Burger King? Democrat or Republican? Iraq War: right or wrong?

Everything has to be black and white and the media completely panders to that desire.

Simple-minded answers to simple-minded questions: 1. Florida was so much better than OSU, OSU just didn't belong on the same field. 2. The SEC is just a much better conference than the Big Ten. OSU and Michigan were the best teams in a weak conference. Florida was the best team in a great conference.

(Totally ignoring the fact that Auburn beat Florida but lost to Arkansas who lost to Wisconsin who lost to OSU.)

The complex answer to what happened involves a plethora or factors some emotional, some coaching, some extrinisic, some involving the quality of players.

Big bowl games, both in college and the pros, are often over before they get started. Why is this?

One factor involves team psychology: Teams get beaten in their head long before they get beaten on the field. Why did Tressel go for it on 4th down on the Florida 29 yard line in the second quarter? Because he wanted "to show his team he still believed in them" They were only down 10, but the team psyche was already crumbling. Tressel saw it and reacted drastically, some would say foolishly.

Another factor that played into the Michigan and OSU losses was extrinsic.

The teams were out of their element. Warm weather and TV change the nature of the game. Play those same games in the cold without TV timeouts and you might get a completely different result.

TV slows the game. A running game depends on wearing down the other team. Run play after play after play and the other team's defense gets tired. Give that team a 2-3 minute commerical break every couple of plays and it changes the tempo of the game.

That same tempo favors passing teams. Much easier to move players in and out, change formations, and set up more complicated plays with those regular breaks.

Warm weather also favors passing at the expense of the running game.

Other things to consider:

The longer break for OSU and Mich.

USC's home field advantage.

Heisman distraction.

The psychological damage that Michigan's loss played on OSU.

Over-confidence.

Fear.

Of course, you can also reject all of these thoughts, call me some names, announce that the SEC is an inherently better conference and that the pre-bowl, season long, rankings were nothing but an east coast conspiracy to favor the Big Ten; and then go back to debating more serious issues like which Lite beer tastes better: Bud or Miller.
  2. Joined
    04 Aug '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 18:54
    Originally posted by Red Night
    and then go back to debating more serious issues like which Lite beer tastes better: Bud or Miller.
    Coors.
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 19:001 edit

Americans hate complex questions and utterly detest complex answers. More than two choices is too many! Coke or Pepsi? McDonalds or Burger King? Democrat or Republican? Iraq War: right or wrong?

Everything has to be black and white and the media completely panders to that desire.

Simple-mind go back to debating more serious issues like which Lite beer tastes better: Bud or Miller.
    LMAO!!! Maybe you should have weighed those factors BEFORE you announced how easily Michigan and Ohio State were going to "crush" USC and Florida!

Red Night on November 27: It is that Michigan and OSU are clearly the best two teams in the country.

Michigan has one loss, to OSU, in Columbus, by 3 points.

By any measure you care to consider, Michigan should be # 2 in the country and when the bowls are over that is exactly where they'll be ranked unless they get into the Championship game.

How's your "predictive" powers? I managed to pick up a little extra beer money on these games BTW.
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 20:01
    Enjoy your Nut defrauder. (Perhaps you should have bought a pair of squirrel sized glasses with your winnings instead of more beer!)
  5. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 20:42
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    I will remember those words.
    For at least a year, huh.
  6. Joined
    18 Apr '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 20:45
    Lots of farmers in this area have flag poles and fly the American flag with an Ohio State U. or U. of Michigan flag flying below it. Driving around today I noticed several farms where the Ohio State flags had been lowered to half mast. Mourning in the Heartland...
  7. Unknown Territories
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 20:51
    Originally posted by Delmer
    Lots of farmers in this area have flag poles and fly the American flag with an Ohio State U. or U. of Michigan flag flying below it. Driving around today I noticed several farms where the Ohio State flags had been lowered to half mast. Mourning in the Heartland...
    The consensus among the faithful prior to the game was that the game would be a coastal victory, i.e., that the Bucks would coast to a victory. Watching the game, it appeared that the team felt the same way. They got cold-cocked from the outset and never recovered.

They beat themselves as much as they were beat. The coaching executed by Florida was masterful.
  8. Joined
    18 Apr '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 21:02
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The consensus among the faithful prior to the game was that the game would be a coastal victory, i.e., that the Bucks would coast to a victory. Watching the game, it appeared that the team felt the same way. They got cold-cocked from the outset and never recovered.

They beat themselves as much as they were beat. The coaching executed by Florida was masterful.
    Yes, it was the same as in the Michigan game. The Big 10 coaches were out-coached. However, Urban Meyer has lots of friends and fans in this area from his years as a Bowling Green (OH) University coach and if OSU had to get beat by someone most of us were glad to see Urban Meyer be that someone, and get a #1 ranking in his personnel file.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 21:051 edit
    Originally posted by FreakyKBH
    The coaching executed by Florida was masterful.
    I'll say. That, and the Defense really stepping up to make some big plays.

I was especially intrigued by Florida's running game. At one point, the running plays were evenly distributed between the HB, WR and QB positions. Interesting, to say the least. I liked how they used their QB (Tebow) to run downhill.
  10. Donationkirksey957
    Outkast
    With White Women
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 21:22
    Originally posted by Delmer
    Has anybody checked on Whodey? I thought he might want to add to the first post of this thread.
  11. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 21:29
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I'll say. That, and the Defense really stepping up to make some big plays.

I was especially intrigued by Florida's running game. At one point, the running plays were evenly distributed between the HB, WR and QB positions. Interesting, to say the least. I liked how they used their QB (Tebow) to run downhill.
    Tebow was unbelievable this year. He NEVER goes down from the first hit. He basically has to be gang-tackled. The Gators would insert him into a lot of short yardage situations, and even though the opponent knew he would get the ball coming out of the backfield, it was a rare feat to stop him (from getting the first down).

As the season progressed, it got totally laughable to see other teams try to stop him, even knowing he would get the snap.
  12. over there
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 22:54

Simple-mind ...[text shortened]... go back to debating more serious issues like which Lite beer tastes better: Bud or Miller.
    Well said, but there is one flaw. Michigan beat Wisconsin, not OSU.😉
  13. Standard memberslimjim
    Death from Above
    El Paso, TX
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 00:32
    OSU is 0-8 versus SEC teams. The Big Ten with it's weak schedule suffers again. GO GATORS!!
  14. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 00:52
    Originally posted by slimjim
    OSU is 0-8 versus SEC teams. The Big Ten with it's weak schedule suffers again. GO GATORS!!
    way to go. You've a good head on your shoulders.
  15. Burnsville, NC, USA
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 01:033 edits
    Oh your so deep! Deep as a teardrop.

Irrelevant

Simple-minded answers to simple-minded questions: 1. Florida was so much better than OSU, OSU just didn't belong on the same field. 2. The SEC is just a much better conference than the Big Ten. OSU and Michigan were the best teams in a weak conference. Florida was the best team in a great conference.
    In fact, Florida was a much better team on January 8th, 2007.

(Totally ignoring the fact that Auburn beat Florida but lost to Arkansas who lost to Wisconsin who lost to OSU.)
    This is poor logic when it comes to sports. It just goes to show that any team on any day. By your logic Washington State is better than Michigan since they beat Oregon State who beat USC who beat (the hell out of) Michigan.

The complex answer to what happened involves a plethora or factors some emotional, some coaching, some extrinisic, some involving the quality of players.

Big bowl games, both in college and the pros, are often over before they get started. Why is this?
    By this reasoning, OSU after returning the opening kickoff should have rolled to an easy win.

One factor involves team psychology: Teams get beaten in their head long before they get beaten on the field. Why did Tressel go for it on 4th down on the Florida 29 yard line in the second quarter? Because he wanted "to show his team he still believed in them" They were only down 10, but the team psyche was already crumbling. Tressel saw it and reacted drastically, some would say foolishly.
    I already said that they were out-coached. Bad judgement by a coach is always a factor.

Another factor that played into the Michigan and OSU losses was extrinsic.

The teams were out of their element. Warm weather and TV change the nature of the game. Play those same games in the cold without TV timeouts and you might get a completely different result.
    This is as lame an excuse as you can come up with. OSU plays plenty of games in warm weather. Why was this not a factor in the 90 degree heat of Texas?

TV slows the game. A running game depends on wearing down the other team. Run play after play after play and the other team's defense gets tired. Give that team a 2-3 minute commerical break every couple of plays and it changes the tempo of the game.
    They played how many nationally televised games this year. This a factor for both teams. Another bad excuse.

That same tempo favors passing teams. Much easier to move players in and out, change formations, and set up more complicated plays with those regular breaks.
    Neither team was running a hurry-up offense. There is always plenty of time to shuffle in players.

Warm weather also favors passing at the expense of the running game.
    Once again the same lame excuse. How many running plays did OSU run in the first half? You can't run the ball unless you have the ball.

Other things to consider:

The longer break for OSU and Mich.
    Can be an advantage

USC's home field advantage.
    Irrelevant to this discussion about OSU

Heisman distraction.
    Awww. Poor baby, now you are calling in the Heisman curse.

The psychological damage that Michigan's loss played on OSU.
    ARE YOU KIDDING. Your arch-rival getting there arse handed to them rarely causes psychological damage. This is just another weak excuse.

Over-confidence.
    HUGE FACTOR. The only one you have gotten right.

Fear.
    Fear and over confident. If you are scared of winning then you don't belong in the game.

Of course, you can also reject all of these thoughts, call me some names, announce that the SEC is an inherently better conference and that the pre-bowl, season long, rankings were nothing but an east coast conspiracy to favor the Big Ten; and then go back to debating more serious issues like which Lite beer tastes better: Bud or Miller.

I don't drink light beers.

It is just amazing how many excuses you can come up with without admitting that they were both out-played and out-coached.

How about this.

The Florida lines, defensive and offensive, dominated the game. The fact that they could snap directly to Tevow in the shotgun and still get 6 to 8 yards a pop shows how much the offensive line dominated OSU defensive line. That and the fact that OSU rarely pressured Leak. When they did pressure Leak he did the smart thing and threw the ball away.

By the same token, the Florida defense was stifling. The only heat that was a factor was the heat of the d swarming all over Smith or whomever had the ball.

You just keep right on thinking that all of the above were factors and making excuses for losses. That is fine with the rest of the country.

And speaking of beer, don't let your tears water yours down too much.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree