1. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10 Jan '07 18:33
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    . But the writer made a good point when he said that universities exist not to attract football coaches or to have winning sports programs. Universities exist to provide an education. Take heart.[/b]
    I do appreciate your sentiments. I find them to be noble sentiments but I do not entirely agree, however. Do universities exist soley to educate? If so, why does it take a small fortune to attain higher education? It seems to me that universities exist just to do what everyone else is out to do which is to make $$$. You could even argue that higher education is a form of economic segregation. I think college sports is no different. The world of college sports is just another venue of collecting $$$ for the respective universities. Every year the ticket prices go up and every year they figure out ways to prevent others from profiting off their sports events like they themselves do. Where all that $$$ goes God only knows. Its a real racket.
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 17:031 edit
    Originally posted by kirksey957
    But the writer made a good point when he said that universities exist not to attract football coaches or to have winning sports programs. Universities exist to provide an education. Take heart.
    The typical university student doesn't want an education; he or she want a degree. Universities exist to generate income for research. Students exist because they fit into the economics of giving professors something to do in-between research grants. Football and other sports exist to bring recognition to universities among those that cannot comprehend research processes, and to keep students from thinking too long about their place in the industry of "education".

Research is mostly a glass bead game.
  3. Standard memberRamned
    The Rams
    Moves
    16 Jan '07 17:19
    ah ha ha

Tedd Ginn and Pittman to the draft is likely..one of them, it is OFFICIAL.

OSU will NOT make the National Championship. Like the Chargers.
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    18 Jan '07 02:47
    Originally posted by Ramned
    ah ha ha

They won't anyway. There's no way they'll beat USC next year. In fact, if USC fails to go undefeated, it will be because some crappy Pac-10 team knocked them off again (as happened twice this year).
  5. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 03:571 edit
    Originally posted by Ramned
    ah ha ha

Thank God. It will be better than being humiliated in a high profile game like this year. Perhaps they will lay low and not even make a bowl run of any kind. Really, the only thing that matters, however, is beating that team up north. That will be a miracle in and of itself next year.
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 04:00
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    They won't anyway. There's no way they'll beat USC next year. In fact, if USC fails to go undefeated, it will be because some crappy Pac-10 team knocked them off again (as happened twice this year).
    Yes, I think USC is destined to win the national title for the next 100 years or so. Assuming an earthquake does not cause the entire state to fall into the ocean, that is. Would'nt that be a shame. 😀
  7. over there
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 11:49
    Michigan should own this year. Most of their players are returning.
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 15:36
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    They will be contenders, but they have a demon to exorcise: their inability to win big games against USC.
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 16:43
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    They will be contenders, but they have a demon to exorcise: their inability to win big games against USC.
    And OSU.
  10. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 17:201 edit
    Originally posted by Falco Lombardi
    Oh no, here we go again!
  11. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    19 Jan '07 22:47
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    And OSU.
    USC, too, has their OSU.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree