1. LA
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 07:56
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4188033,00.html

Manchester United
    Chelsea
    Manchester City

And for Manchester United to be able to compete against Billion/Trillion air clubs is a testament to Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United as Englands biggest football club (and soon to be most sucessful) 😛
  2. Joined
    13 Aug '08
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 10:38
    man u will win
  3. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 13:39
    1) Liverpool
    2) Liverpool
    3) Liverpool
  4. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 14:20
    Ferguson hasn't been competing for years against the spending power of Man City though has he?

And I'm willing to bet that Man City don't finish Top 4 this season whoever they buy in January.
  5. LA
    Moves
    24 Sep '08 15:24
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Ferguson hasn't been competing for years against the spending power of Man City though has he?

And I'm willing to bet that Man City don't finish Top 4 this season whoever they buy in January.
    I don't know mate.
    This year I think City have a chance of finishing in the top 4 if they spend big in January,

Robinhio is pure class and they have so much pace right now.
    If they are 6 points off the top 4 in January then buy big, watch out!
  6. 6yd box
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 12:36
    Originally posted by Rooney Once a Blue
    I don't know mate.
    This year I think City have a chance of finishing in the top 4 if they spend big in January,

Robinhio is pure class and they have so much pace right now.
    If they are 6 points off the top 4 in January then buy big, watch out!
    yes i dare say man city will spend big, but thats what United have been doing for years 😵
  7. LA
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 15:151 edit
    Originally posted by spurs73
    yes i dare say man city will spend big, but thats what United have been doing for years 😵
    United's net spending is quite big but well within their managable control.

For example:-
    IN: Berbatov, for an extortionate 32.5m but Spurs are paying the price for forcing us to pay an extra 5m. You're 12m striker was yesterday claiming its too hard to train in England, they actually make you work out for more than 2 hours each day 😵
    Serves you right for making us wait until deadlie day.

OUT: Pique 7m, Saha appearance related, Eagles about 3m, Silvestra 1m,

Thats it, so net spendng for 2008 is 20m, not bad for the CL and PL winners.

IN: Anderson 17m, Hargreaves 17m, Nani 14m, Tevez 4m so far, thats 52M in.
    OUT: Rossi 7m, Richardson 6m, Smith 6m, Heinz 8m, thats 23m out.
    So we are looking at a NET of 29m.

Both seasons we spend well within our limits and are the most succesful team in the country.

Good solid well run business.

Daniel Levy, watch and learn you muppet.

IN: Carrick 17m
    OUT: Nistelrooy 12m, Howard 3m, Miller 3m, Jones 2m.
    NET: -3m.

So over 3 seasons United have spend 20m+29m-3m = 46m
    This equates to about 15m a season over the last 3 years.

We could go back futher and include the 25m we got for Beckham but I think I've made my point.

We spend what we need to in a controlled managed manner and win major trophys.

Manchester Citys NET spending isnt going to be in the 15m range or within any kind of managable business model.
    Thats because City like Chelsea are going to be run as a play thing and marketing product.
    I think they will NET spend in the 100m range for each of the next 2 seasons, they need to to compete for the title.
  8. Joined
    24 Nov '02
    Moves
    25 Sep '08 20:22
    http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_4188033,00.html

Manchester United
    Chelsea
    Manchester City

And for Manchester United to be able to compete against Billion/Trillion air clubs is a testament to Sir Alex Ferguson and Manchester United as Englands biggest football club (and soon to be most sucessful) 😛
    What a complete and utter nonsense........ For all you Mancs in the south and those few of you north of Watford your forgetting the new Premiership Champions.... Arsenal.....
    Wenger learns from his mistakes and won't blow a Christmas lead as we did last year...... A much stronger squad with the younger players more mature.
    There is no doubting that we are younger than the rest but experience confidence and self belief will be the key...
    That capped with a fully fit Van Persie partnered with the irresitable Abebayour will shoot as to the coverted crown....
    Top three 1) Arsenal 2) Chelsea 3) Man Utd...... Man City have a couple more years to go to be counted in irrespective of how much is spent in January.
    4th, well who knows, certainly not Spurs..... What the hell is Ramos doing with all that money????????
    I'm going for Aston Villa as 4th... I like Martin O'neill and think he has assembled a very strong squad this year, Carew Agbonglahour and Young as an example,,,, but keeping Barry in January could be the key.
    Can I just add Vela to the equation.... You dont need to spend 30 million on a sulk to have strength in depth!!!!!!!!!
  9. LA
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 10:55
    Originally posted by dicky
    What a complete and utter nonsense........ For all you Mancs in the south and those few of you north of Watford your forgetting the new Premiership Champions.... Arsenal.....
    Wenger learns from his mistakes and won't blow a Christmas lead as we did last year...... A much stronger squad with the younger players more mature.
    There is no doubting that we are yo ...[text shortened]... e equation.... You dont need to spend 30 million on a sulk to have strength in depth!!!!!!!!!
    Ok dicky, I've not seen United live for nearly 2 years but thats because I've been in America for the last 20 months,

I'm visiting England for 2 weeks in October and will see as many United games (live) as I can when back, which will add to the 350+ I have already seen (live) so please don't include me in the plastic manc count.

Btw, a fan who has seen his team live once has just as valued an opinion as a fan who goes to every game live. I don't buy into the you have to see your team live to have a valid opinion, not these days. In todays world following your team be it on TV or live gives you just the same right to have an opinion.

Yes Wenger is an all time great manager but IMO he puts too much faith in the youngsters and does not buy enough experience.
    Maybe this is his choice or maybe he has no choice I don't know.

Can United with the league without Rooney YES.
    Can Chelsea win the league without Drogba YES.
    Can Arsenal win the league without Adebayor NO.

Can United win the league without Hargreaves and Scholes, YES.
    Can Chlesea win the league without Ballack and Essien, YES.
    Can Arsenal wn the league without Fabregas, NO.

Vela would be a good buy for any side.
    United only bought one player in the summer, he cost 30m+.
    His record over the last 2 seasons is top class.
    Without him we have won the league 2 years running and have not lost any major players.
    So I don't think we "needed to" spend this money on him, we did so to make us a stronger team.

Arsenal have fantastic potenital but thats all it is potenital, take Bentley for example.
    Also last season you fell apart when you lost Eduardo, for me you have too many key players that have to stay fit the entire season.
    This is Wengers only weakness and I'm not sure why he allows this to happen.

Again its just my opinion, lets see how the season unfolds.

As for the league this season at this early stage very difficult to predict but my biased opinion would be:-

(1) Manchester United
    (2) Chelsea
    (3) Arsenal
    (4) Probably Liverpool but City or Villa could take 4th this season.
  10. 6yd box
    Moves
    26 Sep '08 21:00
    [b]United's net spending is quite big but well within their managable control.
    But Rooney your club is £600m in debt!
  11. LA
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 20:07
    But Rooney your club is £600m in debt!
    Yes but the club is valued on the open market at well over 1billion pounds.

I'll explain a little how businneses are run which the press don't bother to do. Sensational headlines like 60m debt interest payments sell many more papers than explanations about what is actually going on.

Manchester United is run as a business.
    I'm not saying I agree with this for a football club but we run as a business.
    This is the way the modern game is going.

Look at Newcastle and Liverpool, both clubs are in debt also but the clubs are valued at higher values than the debt.

Mike Ashley is making huge mistakes all over the place but in less than 2 years he is about to still make a tidy profit.
    DIC have tried numerous times to buy LFC but they won't sell, thats after less than 2 years of ownership.

I believe the Glazers want to make the club look as attractive as possible to outside investers then sell on at a huge profit.
    The Glazers are a billionaire famlily and are more than comfortable owning a business worth double the debt with interest payments of about 55m a year, when the club also operates at a profit greater than the interest payment on the debt.

Its also quite clear that the value of all premiership teams are going to more than double in value over the next 5 years.

The same thing is happening at Liverpool on a smaller scale.

Liverpool are in debt by about 350m, however they are valued at approximately 500m, when they bought Liverpool their value was about 350m.
    Look at that a 150m asset value gain in 2 years.

That's why Hicks and Gilette are not overly concerned with their position.

Do you know that the Arab consortium that bought City make an extra $500m a day profit for each dollar the price a barrel of oil goes up in the USA?

Its a standard business model for the majority of business to borrrow to improve and develop the value of their assets.
    Most businesses are in debt, it makes no sense for a business to have cash in the bank, the tax hits are enormous.

A family run club like the Glazers could take the money out as dividend payments and greatly reduce the tax hits on profit but what are they going to do with this cash?
    Invest it back, borrow and buy assets that they anticipate will increase in value and make protfit.

Sucessful businesses operate when their asset values exceeed the debt.

Football is changing.
  12. 6yd box
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 21:18
    [b]........ For all you Mancs in the south and those few of you north of Watford your forgetting the new Premiership Champions.... Arsenal.....
    O Dear...O Dear...O Dear........
  13. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 11:08
    There is no doubting that we are yo ...[text shortened]... e equation.... You dont need to spend 30 million on a sulk to have strength in depth!!!!!!!!!
    "Strength in depth" and "Arsenal" don't belong in the same post together.

D
  14. Joined
    24 Nov '02
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 20:54
    O Dear...O Dear...O Dear........
    O Dear, O Dear, O Dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Still you've got Hull at home next week :-)
  15. Joined
    24 Nov '02
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 20:55
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    "Strength in depth" and "Arsenal" don't belong in the same post together.

D
    How blinkered are you?????????

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree