ouch

ouch

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
11 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by trev33
i wanted poland to win. i refuse to support a team that plays the english national anthem before a game, refuse. i didn't watch the n. ireland vs england game a few years ago (the rep. were playing france at the same time) but that was probably the only time i can recently think of were i didn't want the team n. ireland were playing to win. the rest of the ti 't care what they do... as long as they don't qualify or the finals and the rep. don't 😉
Yeah but the history runs deep, you get idiot Rangers fans in Glasgow that wear the English national kit! Can you believe that, in Scotland, the English national kit? Why? because of the sectarian element and a misguided allegiance to her Majesties government, like it cares! i dunno if its the same where you are, just across the road where i live there is some Orangeman who has, draped in one window as a curtain the union flag and in his living room, two small union flags which adorn the window sill. What is it with this type of mentality Trev? Yes there is history and tradition, but i dunno, are the people not fed up with it? Surely a process of healing must be allowed to take place.

rc

Moves
11 Feb 10
1 edit

Originally posted by Mctayto
England don't have a national anthem unless you refer to the UK one which is mince
i thought their national anthem was God save the queen by the sex pistols?

m

Moves
11 Feb 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
i thought their national anthem was God save the queen by the sex pistols?
That would be a big improvement, it's true.

rc

Moves
11 Feb 10

Originally posted by mtthw
That would be a big improvement, it's true.
Hi Mattw, perhaps you could confirm or deny, was it not the case either at cricket matches or at rugby matches that you guys used to sing ( i dunno if you still do), Swing low sweet chariot. My flatmate when i was a student was a great cricket fan, a guy from Rugby in the Midlands and he used to sing it all the time.

m

Moves
11 Feb 10

Hi Mattw, perhaps you could confirm or deny, was it not the case either at cricket matches or at rugby matches that you guys used to sing ( i dunno if you still do), Swing low sweet chariot. My flatmate when i was a student was a great cricket fan, a guy from Rugby in the Midlands and he used to sing it all the time.
Yes, that's at rugby union matches. If I remember correctly, it dates back to when when Chris Oti was playing for England (late '80s, I think). In one match he scored a hattrick and a bunch of his mates from a gospel choir started singing it. The rest of the crowd joined in, and for some reason it stuck.

Moves
12 Feb 10
1 edit

Yeah but the history runs deep, you get idiot Rangers fans in Glasgow that wear the English national kit! Can you believe that, in Scotland, the English national kit? Why? because of the sectarian element and a misguided allegiance to her Majesties government, like it cares! i dunno if its the same where you are, just across the road where i live ...[text shortened]... , are the people not fed up with it? Surely a process of healing must be allowed to take place.
i went out with this girl when i was 16, protestant girl... when i went into her mum's flat (in a really protestant area) for the first time i was figuratively slapped in the face by an life size cardboard cutout of a uda (i think) man, kitted out in black holding a very large gun. to say i was shocked and felt extremely uncomfortable about the whole experience is an understatement... seriously, what is wrong with some people?

i have seen these idiot rangers fans you speck off... if you took a walk around belfast a couple of years ago you would've noticed houses waving the palestinian and israeli flag, i'm sure you can guess which 'side' was displaying which flag. imo they're all idiots...

there's some very, very bitter people over here. even now and they usually have an IQ of a retarded fish to boot. but any level headed person wants peace, unfortunately bitter parents tends to bread bitter children, not always but a high percentage.

i remember having a conversation with a guy when we were about 12, he was a rangers and man utd fan. when asked to name 5 rangers players, he struggled but that's normal. when i told him that man utd is a predominately catholic football club he ranted it 'no they're not, no they're not' over and over...

there was a programme on recently about the political life of mo mowlam, not sure if you saw it but it portrayed the orange order perfectly imo.

they are seriously stupid people, i can't go on about that enough. on the 11th bonfires they burn a tri-color and proudly wave union jacks. ask them if they want a united ireland... you get an emphatic no and a rant about 'those damn catholics' then try explaining to them that their precious union jack contains a united ireland flag, all be in when under english rule, almost a stunned silence. plus the tri-color they always have at the top is usually green, white and yellow. what are the colors of the irish flag? yes orange i believe... green for the catholics in ireland, orange for the protestants in ireland and white for peace. need i say more?

i'd like to think it's not as bad as it once was... within peoples homes a mean, the average n. irish person is less bitter than previous generations without a doubt. give it time... i dream of seeing a united ireland before i die.