1. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    04 Jan '10 06:50
    I can accept that there is a strong case against Phil Taylor being the best sportsman ever, but for somebody to win the world title 15 times makes a strong case of its own. Darts may not do your cardiovascular fitness much good, but the skill involved should not be underestimated, and to remain the best of well over a hundred million regular players worldwide for 20 years plus is more than the likes of Michael Owen have ever done.

So for me, Phil Taylor, best sportsman ever!
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 00:13
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    I can accept that there is a strong case against Phil Taylor being the best sportsman ever, but for somebody to win the world title 15 times makes a strong case of its own. Darts may not do your cardiovascular fitness much good, but the skill involved should not be underestimated, and to remain the best of well over a hundred million regular players wor ...[text shortened]... e than the likes of Michael Owen have ever done.

So for me, Phil Taylor, best sportsman ever!
    Are you serious? Darts? I'm sure he's very good, but darts? Bridge also takes skill as does bocce ball, tamborello, etc.I'de be impressed if he were the 15X world champ sponge diver or something a wee bit more strenuous!
  3. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 00:301 edit
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Are you serious? Darts? I'm sure he's very good, but darts? Bridge also takes skill as does bocce ball, tamborello, etc.I'de be impressed if he were the 15X world champ sponge diver or something a wee bit more strenuous!
    Darts actually does take skill. Cards is the luck of the draw, even if skill is involved.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Best Sportsman Ever."

Perhaps, "Best Darts Sportsman Ever"
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 00:442 edits
    Originally posted by Very Rusty
    Darts actually does take skill. Cards is the luck of the draw, even if skill is involved.

I wouldn't go so far as to say "Best Sportsman Ever."

Perhaps, "Best Darts Sportsman Ever"
    Skill alone does not make Taylor the best sportsman ever indeed. Here's some unusual, discontinued Olympic sports:

Roque
    Jeu de Paume
    Running Deer (shooting event)
    Basque Pelota (demonstration sport)
    Sur la Perche à la Pyramide (archery event)
    Budo: Japanese archery/wrestling/fencing) (demonstration sport)
    Kabaddi (demonstration sport)
    Pankration (Ancient Olympics)

I'm sure the wonderful athletes who competed in these sports disagree.

My personal favorite amongst weird sports:
    Cheese Chasing

Cheese chasing is an event whereby members of an English village called Brockworth in Gloucestershire, send a good-sized cheese down a steep hill whereupon all the cheese-chasing contestants chase after it. The local council has at times banned the event due to too many people getting injured. They usually get really drunk, build up a good head of steam and then tear down the hill after the tumbling cheese. The cheese always seems to win.
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 13:56
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Skill alone does not make Taylor the best sportsman ever indeed. Here's some unusual, discontinued Olympic sports:

Roque
    Jeu de Paume
    Running Deer (shooting event)
    Basque Pelota (demonstration sport)
    Sur la Perche à la Pyramide (archery event)
    Budo: Japanese archery/wrestling/fencing) (demonstration sport)
    Kabaddi (demonstration sport) ...[text shortened]... f steam and then tear down the hill after the tumbling cheese. The cheese always seems to win.
    Using the Phil Taylor logic, if the cheese always wins, perhaps the cheese should be considered the best sportsman ever.
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    07 Jan '10 14:08
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Using the Phil Taylor logic, if the cheese always wins, perhaps the cheese should be considered the best sportsman ever.
    Only if it's always the same cheese.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    08 Jan '10 00:38
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Only if it's always the same cheese.
    I hear it is a variation of cheddar, dense, heavy and speedy. Melty, too so this race is always when it's cooler! I also here it is known as the big cheese and that's where the phrase comes from! You Brits out there, has a human ever beaten the cheese? Perhaps he should be crowned the greatest athlete ever!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree