1. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Dec '06 23:00
    Originally posted by rhb
    World Champs is like the Le Mans of Snooker.

Look at the likes of Peter Ebdon and Graeme Dott as an example of players suited to win the longer matches, and so the World Champs.

The shorter events are much more open as a result and so not equal.
    ebdon has won it because he's a great player, you don't win the masters and stay in the top 10 for years by not being a world class player, dott just got a lucky year as with murphy, couldn't miss a ball.

as the shorter events are more equal it really puts it into perspective now good davis and hendry are with their record. so imo winning 50 events in 20 years would be better than winning 10 world champs in 20 years.
  2. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 14:06
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Who else, in any sport, any era has won 13 World titles?
    Not so great now 😉
  3. Joined
    10 Mar '03
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 14:12
    Sport or no sport The Power is a legend and I am not sure anyone else has won 13 world titles.

For me as with snooker it is a sport.
    Andy Fordham normally breaks a sweat during a match.
  4. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    02 Jan '07 14:24
    Originally posted by dan182
    Andy Fordham normally breaks a sweat during a match.
    From lifting up his pint glass 🙂
  5. Standard memberasromacalcio
    asromacalcio
    Almaty, Kazakhstan
    Moves
    05 Jan '07 10:05
    Originally posted by millerman
    Not so great now 😉
    The trophy is on loan to Holland, for one year only!

Phil will be back!
  6. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 05:094 edits
    Originally posted by asromacalcio
    Who else, in any sport, any era has won 13 World titles?
    giacomo agostini won 15 world titles in motorcycle grand prix (8 x 500cc & 7 x 350cc)

also angel nieto won 13 titles
  7. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    27 Mar '07 16:37
    Originally posted by Mungo
    giacomo agostini won 15 world titles in motorcycle grand prix (8 x 500cc & 7 x 350cc)

also angel nieto won 13 titles
    Although it was only 10 years Ed Moses achievement ws pretty impressive:

From 1976 to 1989 Moses competed in 156 400-metre hurdle races. Out of those 156 races, he was beaten just six times, a heroic feat which may never be equalled in athletics. Between August 1977, when he lost to West Germany's Harald Schmid, and June 1987, when compatriot Danny Harris got the better of him, Moses won 122 races in a row.

Source: Observer
  8. Joined
    19 Oct '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 18:08
    Originally posted by invigorate

From 1976 to 1989 Moses competed in 156 400-metre hurdle races. Out of those 156 races, he was beaten just six times, a heroic feat which may never be equalled in athletics. Between August 1977, when he lost to West Germany's Harald Schmid, and June 1987, when compatriot Danny Harris got the better of him, Moses won 122 races in a row.

a truly great competitor...his 13 strides between hurdles compared to most of his rivals 16 was truly awesome, poetry in motion
  9. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 18:54
    Originally posted by invigorate

Good shout,

He is up there on my all time legends list 🙂
  10. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 20:111 edit
    Darts snooker and billiards should be at the Olympics in place of rythmic gym, gymnastics, synchronised swimming and ballroom dancing all of which require the opinion of judges to decide the winner.

Equestrian is more about the money behind the equipment than the actual people competing.. Gone in my book

Taylor, Davis, Hendry should all have a bevy of Olympic and commonwealth games medals. So should late Eddie Charlton a great person and wonderful sportsman.
  11. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    29 Mar '07 20:42
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    Darts snooker and billiards should be at the Olympics in place of rythmic gym, gymnastics, synchronised swimming and ballroom dancing all of which require the opinion of judges to decide the winner.

Equestrian is more about the money behind the equipment than the actual people competing.. Gone in my book

Taylor, Davis, Hendry should all have a bevy o ...[text shortened]... commonwealth games medals. So should late Eddie Charlton a great person and wonderful sportsman.
    Still disagree with this sooo much it's unreal.

Dart and snooker require no pyshical exertion at all. If you don't break a sweat during a game then you cannot calll it a sport!!!!!!

And two of my favourite pastimes used to be darts and snooker 🙂.

I've played to a very igh level in darts and have a highest break in snooker at around 86, i'm no sportsman 🙁
  12. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    30 Mar '07 10:42
    Originally posted by millerman
    Still disagree with this sooo much it's unreal.

Dart and snooker require no pyshical exertion at all. If you don't break a sweat during a game then you cannot calll it a sport!!!!!!

And two of my favourite pastimes used to be darts and snooker 🙂.

I've played to a very igh level in darts and have a highest break in snooker at around 86, i'm no sportsman 🙁
    So how are ballroom dancing and synchronised swimming olympic sports.. jogging raises a sweat but its not a sport..

Darts and table games require a very high level of skill and require a contest determined by a score.. not a judges opinion.

Just opinion here.. Your opinion is correct in fact but a few of us just disagree and would like to see the darts and snooker recognised
    ...makes the forums fun.
  13. Wat?
    Moves
    31 Mar '07 15:06
    Originally posted by rhb
    World Champs is like the Le Mans of Snooker.

Look at the likes of Peter Ebdon and Graeme Dott as an example of players suited to win the longer matches, and so the World Champs.

The shorter events are much more open as a result and so not equal.
    Would that be Perry Mans?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree