1. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 15:22
    Well I paid a pretty good lump of money, but being at todays game will certainly be worth it if they clinch the NL East today. Hopefully my next post in this thread will be one of celebration. I'm off, wish me and the phillies luck! 😀
  2. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 16:20
    Originally posted by PocketKings
    Well I paid a pretty good lump of money, but being at todays game will certainly be worth it if they clinch the NL East today. Hopefully my next post in this thread will be one of celebration. I'm off, wish me and the phillies luck! 😀
    I hope they lose; it's more dramatic if the season goes down to the last day.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 18:161 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    The Yankees are full of drama then, because they lost a ton. It is funny too that the manager that took them to the playoffs every year for, what 13 years, was not retained. So what does Torre do? He takes LA to the playoffs. Granted, adding Manny Ramirez helped a lot, but Manny didn't blow up the LA locker room either, so maybe Torre is good at crowd control as well.
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 19:25
    GO PHIGHTINS!!!
  5. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 21:18
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    The Yankees are full of drama then, because they lost a ton. It is funny too that the manager that took them to the playoffs every year for, what 13 years, was not retained. So what does Torre do? He takes LA to the playoffs. Granted, adding Manny Ramirez helped a lot, but Manny didn't blow up the LA locker room either, so maybe Torre is good at crowd control as well.
    Torre was always overrated; his record as a manager was far below .500 before he was handed the Yankee job. His present team plays in the weakest division in baseball and was given one of baseball's best players for essentially nothing. Big deal. The Yankees in this "poor" season have still won 5 more games than Torre's Dodgers.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    27 Sep '08 23:04
    Torre was always overrated; his record as a manager was far below .500 before he was handed the Yankee job. His present team plays in the weakest division in baseball and was given one of baseball's best players for essentially nothing. Big deal. The Yankees in this "poor" season have still won 5 more games than Torre's Dodgers.
    Homer!!
  7. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 16:56
    HA! They won! It was quite dramatic and was one of the best times I've had in a while. We all got sprayed with champagne by the players when they brought their party out to us 😀 It was great!
  8. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    28 Sep '08 22:55
    HA! They won! It was quite dramatic and was one of the best times I've had in a while. We all got sprayed with champagne by the players when they brought their party out to us 😀 It was great!
    Lucky you get the Brewers 😉. I'm kind of happy with how things worked out. CC pitching today means he won't have to face Hamels, which should give us better odds, at least for that one game 😛.

Howard is going to have a field day on our pitching staff. My oh my.

But, at least the Crew made it. 26 years of angst is done. Time to start a new streak. 🙂
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 03:09
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    Lucky you get the Brewers 😉. I'm kind of happy with how things worked out. CC pitching today means he won't have to face Hamels, which should give us better odds, at least for that one game 😛.

Howard is going to have a field day on our pitching staff. My oh my.

But, at least the Crew made it. 26 years of angst is done. Time to start a new streak. 🙂
    You can thank Selig for getting the Crew there too. That stunt of sending Houston to play Chicago at a (NEUTRAL ???) field as a hurricane bears down on their homes was the greatest act of cowardice I have seen in a commissioner. What a joke!!!
  10. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 16:351 edit
    You can thank Selig for getting the Crew there too. That stunt of sending Houston to play Chicago at a (NEUTRAL ???) field as a hurricane bears down on their homes was the greatest act of cowardice I have seen in a commissioner. What a joke!!!
    That was also partly Houston's fault. He didn't want to move the games unless he absolutely had to, and waited so long in making the call (the guy from Houston, not Selig). He could have easily moved the game to the Rangers field had he wanted to.

Zambrano probably would have shut them down, anyways. Maybe not a no hitter, but still.

Blame momentum if you want, but Oswalt still got smashed when he pitched against Florida right after the Cubs games, and he's supposed to be good enough to not let that happen (he's their ace, after all). 😉
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 18:26
    That was also partly Houston's fault. He didn't want to move the games unless he absolutely had to, and waited so long in making the call (the guy from Houston, not Selig). He could have easily moved the game to the Rangers field had he wanted to.

Zambrano probably would have shut them down, anyways. Maybe not a no hitter, but still.

Blame moment ...[text shortened]... , and he's supposed to be good enough to not let that happen (he's their ace, after all). 😉
    Are you nuts??? First of all, they didn't even have to move the game at all. There was already one common open day, and they could have played another game (or two) today and not delayed the season a bit, which was Bud's claim that he needed to do, which was a lie. Even you know the advantage to having a home field crowd and Houston was hot as hell at the time, best in the NL at the time.

The second problem was the players had families and homes in Houston that they were not allowed to tend to immediately before the hurricane because they wanted to shuffle them off to Milwaukee. How do you think the players could focus on playing a game while worrying about their families and homes in the hurricane? And don't even think for a minute that Drayton MacLane had any kind words for Bud Selig over this. That is why Selig posted a full page ad in the Houston newspaper apologizing, but it was too little too late. He chose Milwaukee for two reasons....he NEEDED the Cubs to beat Houston because they were about to overtakle Milwaukee. He claimed Milwaukee was a "Neutral" site which is a bigger joke. Also, the Astros were forced to leave without any sleep except what they may have gotten on the airplane ride to Milwaukee.

Check your records and you will find the Astros beat Zambrano the last time he pitched in Houston. I am not saying that the Cubs definitely would have lost in Houston, but the odds would have been in Houston's favor.

Any way you slice it, Selig sold out the Astros and helped the Brewers back into the playoffs. Oh, and Arlington was not a viable option because the projected path of the hurricane was through Houston and straight up through Dallas. The humanitarian thing would have been to delay the games. There was already precedent established in the Bay Area earthquake during the World Series. He sold out...period.
  12. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 20:03
    Are you nuts??? First of all, they didn't even have to move the game at all. There was already one common open day, and they could have played another game (or two) today and not delayed the season a bit, which was Bud's claim that he needed to do, which was a lie. Even you know the advantage to having a home field crowd and Houston was hot as hell at t ...[text shortened]... dent established in the Bay Area earthquake during the World Series. He sold out...period.
    I agree in that there was no reason to not play today, and I do hate the way Selig handled the situation, but I don't know why he would try to help the Brewers get in. He has no part in their operations now. Considering the way the Brewers were playing at the time, it looked like they wouldn't get in regardless of what happened with Houston (they weren't the only team behind the Brewers, by the way, the Phillies and Cards were also within a couple of games). The only reason they got in was because the Mets bullpen is awful, and CC is magic.

Milwaukee was the absolute worst place to play those games. Arizona would have been possible as well (I didn't know Arlington didn't have a dome).

I personally don't get the hype behind Zambrano, because he had a lot of bad starts during the year, but Houston was unlucky enough to get him after an injury, so he had like, 20 days rest or some ridiculously high number like that. Even a remotely talented pitcher could do magic with that much time watching Days of Our Lives.

Again, Milwaukee was the absolute worst thing to do with those games, and I don't know why Selig moved them there, but he did, and the season is done. Milwaukee shouldn't be in the playoffs but they are.

Houston was literally hit by the perfect storm of bad circumstance in this case. A stupid league president (Selig screws up a lot), bad timing by whoever leads the Astros, then having to play the Cubs on little sleep. Stupidity in motion all around.

As a lot of people have said about the Mets and other teams that faltered, they should have won more games when they had the chance, so they wouldn't be put into that sort of position. If they hadn't had slumped from April to early August, they'd be in. Not that that excuses Selig.

Wasn't Houston still 2 or 3 games back at that point? I'm pretty sure that was the weekend we (the Crew) got swept by the Phillies, and we were ahead of them by 4 games at the beginning of that series. Not sure if I have my weekends in order here.

PS: I hate the Cubs, and would've been perfectly happy to see you guys beat them twice (we were only like, 4 games behind them for the division league). 🙂
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 20:17
    I agree in that there was no reason to not play today, and I do hate the way Selig handled the situation, but I don't know why he would try to help the Brewers get in. He has no part in their operations now. Considering the way the Brewers were playing at the time, it looked like they wouldn't get in regardless of what happened with Houston (they weren' ...[text shortened]... at them twice (we were only like, 4 games behind them for the division league). 🙂
    Actually, Houston was 1.5 games back and charging.

Isn't Bud's daughter, Wendy still president of the Brewers?

Arizona was a choice we lobbied for but were overruled by Bud.

And I don't want it to sound like the Astros would have won it had this not happened. We obvioulsy had many chances to win games earlier in the year and let them get away. But, Houston also has a tremendous history for late season runs (both of the two previous years) and they were in the midst of another one. It just pisses me off that they get the situation tampered with by an idiot like Selig. If this had been the Red Sox and the Yankees you can bet this would not have happened. That is my point, it was a sell out and a chance to help out the team Selig used to own.
  14. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 21:251 edit
    Actually, Houston was 1.5 games back and charging.

Isn't Bud's daughter, Wendy still president of the Brewers?

Arizona was a choice we lobbied for but were overruled by Bud.

And I don't want it to sound like the Astros would have won it had this not happened. We obvioulsy had many chances to win games earlier in the year and let them get away ...[text shortened]... ned. That is my point, it was a sell out and a chance to help out the team Selig used to own.
    Ok, that makes sense. I wasn't sure what the numbers were. I was a little distracted by the Brewers falling apart 😛.

I'm not sure. I haven't heard or seen her play any part in their operations. If she is involved, I doubt she has much pull.

Yeah, it's a shame, but I have to agree (not that I have to agree with you, but rather the circumstance of the situation). Hopefully if this comes up again, who ever is in charge will look at this year and do something different. It's a shame what happened to them.
  15. Standard memberPocketKings
    Banned from edits
    Grammar dyslexic
    Moves
    29 Sep '08 23:39
    It was Houstons fault, they took their darn time making up their mind and screwed themselves. But this thread is for Phillies talk 😉

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree