1. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 19:19
    What does the term "derby" mean in the following context, a game played today between Middlesbrough and Newcastle:

"A draw was a fair reflection on a north-east derby which provided first-class entertainment for a 28,000 crowd at the Riverside Stadium."

Thanks in advance.

It says "Question(s)" in the thread title so I won't have to start another thread with the next question. There'll likely be more.
  2. Standard member1973mackem
    Keep The Faith
    Sunderland
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 19:34
    A derby game is a game between two rival local teams.. it is meant to originate from a really old game played between two halves of a town in Derbyshire which is still played to date on Shrove Tuesday. As i am from Sunderland i consider the biggest derby game to be between my football (soccer) team Sunderland and Newcastle United. search for 'derby game' on wikipedia also.. Come on Sunderland 🙂
  3. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 19:57
    Thank you for the info, it's appreciated. 🙂

I'm trying to study and follow the game and cultivate a real interest in it. I'm sports-mad and since "footy" fans appear to be mad (about their game) too, I'll be right at home once I get a notion of what I'm watching/reading/hearing.

Local rivalries are the best!
  4. 6yd box
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 20:07
    Originally posted by 1973mackem
    A derby game is a game between two rival local teams.. it is meant to originate from a really old game played between two halves of a town in Derbyshire which is still played to date on Shrove Tuesday. As i am from Sunderland i consider the biggest derby game to be between my football (soccer) team Sunderland and Newcastle United. search for 'derby game' on wikipedia also.. Come on Sunderland 🙂
    In london there are lots of clubs. But the biggist 'derby' games are Arseanal .v. Tottenham Hotspur, Fulham .v. Chealsea, West Ham .v. Millwall.

Also Arseanal .v. West ham/ Chealsea. West Ham .v Tottenham/chealsea

Other big Derby games are Manchaster United .v. Manchester City
    and in scotland its Rangers .v. Celtic
  5. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 21:27
    Milan - Inter is probably the biggest in Europe.
  6. Standard memberRagnorak
    For RHP addons...
    tinyurl.com/yssp6g
    Moves
    26 Aug '07 22:54
    Originally posted by Palynka
    Milan - Inter is probably the biggest in Europe.
    Hard to quantify.

For sheer craziness and raw emotion, you'd have to give it to Fenebache v Galatasaray
    YouTube

Worldwide, you'd have to consider Boca v River Plate, due to the socio-economic chasm between the clubs' respective supporters.

For Eagles; if you want to see a very physical game, derbys will generally guarantee it. Celtic v Rangers would be about as physical as football gets. Quality mightn't be up to much, mind.

D
  7. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 06:49
    Originally posted by Ragnorak
    Hard to quantify.

For sheer craziness and raw emotion, you'd have to give it to Fenebache v Galatasaray
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2qFFv8SZtU

Worldwide, you'd have to consider Boca v River Plate, due to the socio-economic chasm between the clubs' respective supporters.

For Eagles; if you want to see a very physical game, derbys will generally ...[text shortened]... ers would be about as physical as football gets. Quality mightn't be up to much, mind.

D
    Technically Fenerbahçe is in Asia. 😉
  8. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 11:54
    From my point of view... you cannot match the atmosphere at a Sheffield United v Sheffield Wendy game...
  9. Joined
    17 Mar '04
    Moves
    27 Aug '07 12:38
    Thanks for the insight from all!

All I can get here on television (pretty good all the same) are Premier League games but the Celtic vs. Rangers contests sound well worth taking in as are the other derby matches. Maybe I can get them while at work on the super high-speed...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree