Any racquetball players at RHP?
    I used to be an avid player.
    Still have my Ektelon graphite raquet.
  3. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 07:12
    Nope, squash. Never quite understood racquetball.
  4. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 14:29
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    I used to be an avid player.
    Still have my Ektelon graphite raquet.
    Hey buddy, how's it going? Hey your showing how long ago you played by that racquet. Lol. I used to have one too.
  5. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    22 Mar '11 14:40
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Nope, squash. Never quite understood racquetball.
    I've played squash a couple times but I had a hard time adjusting to the speed but still enjoyed it. And being from the south squash wasn't to popular and hard to find any courts. But I love all racquet sports.
  6. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 07:36
    Originally posted by galveston75
    I've played squash a couple times but I had a hard time adjusting to the speed but still enjoyed it. And being from the south squash wasn't to popular and hard to find any courts. But I love all racquet sports.
    I like the speed of racquetball in an enclosed court, like in the club.

There's nothing like a great hard shot close to the corner where it spins off the wall and dies~
  7. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 08:43
    But I love all racquet sports.
    Me too. I hate going to gym, but LOVE running after a ball.

Played tennis and badminton in school, focused just on badminton and got university colours in it, then moved onto squash, as badminton clubs are hard to find around where I live now.
  8. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 09:01
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Me too. I hate going to gym, but LOVE running after a ball.

Played tennis and badminton in school, focused just on badminton and got university colours in it, then moved onto squash, as badminton clubs are hard to find around where I live now.
    They call it the Shuttlecock?
  9. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 09:13
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    They call it the Shuttlecock?
    Yup. Ball in inverted commas then 😉
  10. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    23 Mar '11 10:42
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    I like the speed of racquetball in an enclosed court, like in the club.

There's nothing like a great hard shot close to the corner where it spins off the wall and dies~
    As crazy as it is I love to play doubles. When you have 4 equally matched and competent players, it is awesome to play and watch how fast and wild doubles can be.
    It's obviously more complicated to play and I actually play doubles as much as I can before a tournament where I'll be playing singles at. Going back to singles seems easy and the court seems bigger with only two in it and I see my shots easier.
  11. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 04:30
    Hey buddy, how's it going? Hey your showing how long ago you played by that racquet. Lol. I used to have one too.
    Indeed. I was playing the game 2 hours a day, 4 days a week for 4 years back at that time.
    My buddy and I were both teammates in baseball and we played a kamikaze style of game.
    We crashed walls or dove to the floor to get a ball.
    Surprised we didn't break more bones than we did actually.
    Started playing the game in 1983. Got serious about it in 1986.
    Quit playing regularly in 1998 when the knees started to go.
  12. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 17:21
    Indeed. I was playing the game 2 hours a day, 4 days a week for 4 years back at that time.
    My buddy and I were both teammates in baseball and we played a kamikaze style of game.
    We crashed walls or dove to the floor to get a ball.
    Surprised we didn't break more bones than we did actually.
    Started playing the game in 1983. Got serious about it in 1986.
    Quit playing regularly in 1998 when the knees started to go.
    Yes those were the hot years for racquetball. Really popular then but has died off somewhat now.
    I actually started playing in 72' with the old wooden racquets and then progressed up to a "Leach" brand fiberglass. Woo Hoo. Lol.
    Played a lot but didn't really get serious until the early 80's when I got a job as an assistant manager at a Racquetball club in Houston. So playing all the time really helped my game as well as playing in as many tournaments as I could all year long. I finally became an instructor there.
    I did get to teach a younger friend of mine the game and I knew by his awesome physical abilities and talent he would be good..really good. Anyway within 4 years of learning the game he and an older friend of his won the Texas State "Open" division Championship in doubles.
    But unfortunently I guess my playing days are over as my lower back is really being attacked by arthritis and it's beyond not letting me play anymore.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 19:17
    Yes those were the hot years for racquetball. Really popular then but has died off somewhat now.
    I actually started playing in 72' with the old wooden racquets and then progressed up to a "Leach" brand fiberglass. Woo Hoo. Lol.
    Played a lot but didn't really get serious until the early 80's when I got a job as an assistant manager at a Racquetball ...[text shortened]... back is really being attacked by arthritis and it's beyond not letting me play anymore.
    It's hell to get old, isn't it??

I actually built Spaulding Raquet Club and played there as well as PFL in Houston.
    I played tennis out at Wimbledon Raquet Club and the University Club.
    I was better at tennis but actually preferred raquetball because of the speed of the game.
    I hated to play against lobbers though. They would put me to sleep.
    I liked the power players because I had a great return and a lethal kill shot.
    The added momentum provided by the power player plus the speed made for some great points.
  14. Standard membergalveston75
    Texasman
    San Antonio Texas
    Moves
    24 Mar '11 20:54
    It's hell to get old, isn't it??

I actually built Spaulding Raquet Club and played there as well as PFL in Houston.
    I played tennis out at Wimbledon Raquet Club and the University Club.
    I was better at tennis but actually preferred raquetball because of the speed of the game.
    I hated to play against lobbers though. They would put me to sleep.
    I ...[text shortened]... t.
    The added momentum provided by the power player plus the speed made for some great points.
    Oh yes it is but I'm like you in all I know how is to play hard, which is one thing that hurts when I play. I can't seem to slow down and play my age.... 🙁
    But cool about those clubs. I worked at the Inwood Forest club which was also owned by the Spring Branch club. The one I worked at though was later sold once the popularity cooled of and it was turned into a church. Lol.
    I also played at one up on HWY 290 but can't remember the name of it. But I was the number 2 ranked player at those 2 clubs for awhile so I guess that's my claim to fame.
    Did you ever get to play or at least see any pros when they came thru town in those years? I never played any but got to see Marty Hogen a couple times and then the Peck brothers a few times. Also I've seen Bret Harnett, Lynn Adams, Mike Yellen, Andy Roberts, Clif Swain & Jacqueline Paraiso. Really awesome to see those guys and girls play.
  15. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    25 Mar '11 04:37
    Oh yes it is but I'm like you in all I know how is to play hard, which is one thing that hurts when I play. I can't seem to slow down and play my age.... 🙁
    But cool about those clubs. I worked at the Inwood Forest club which was also owned by the Spring Branch club. The one I worked at though was later sold once the popularity cooled of and it was t ...[text shortened]... Roberts, Clif Swain & Jacqueline Paraiso. Really awesome to see those guys and girls play.
    Holy cow!! I used to live in Inwood Forest, right on the golf course.

I actually got to play in the same court with Marty Hogan.
    Showed me just how much difference there was between a true professional and a
    guy who was a decent athlete with a lot of determination and no fear.
    It wasn't close. But I got a few good shots in there and a couple of compliments from him on my serve.
    I still have the signature Marty Hogan raquet he gave to me after the match.
    Oh well, it was cool to get to play him anyway.

Was the club you couldn't think of by chance called Spaulding Raquet Club?
    My company actually built that club and ended up with a part ownership in it for a couple of years until we sold it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree