1. Under Cover
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 10:12
    So, are the Boston Red Sox legitimately the best team in MLB this year, or are they simply a solid team that has the benefit of being in the worst division? Obviously I think they are pretty good, but am interested in hearing other opinions.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 13:16
    Originally posted by BLReid
    So, are the Boston Red Sox legitimately the best team in MLB this year, or are they simply a solid team that has the benefit of being in the worst division? Obviously I think they are pretty good, but am interested in hearing other opinions.
    Lets look at the numbers from Yahoo MLB:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/standings;_ylt=AtaemqcTdpKdYIfxhlaKc3ERvLYF

The Indians and the Angels are top of their divisions.

Check the records of each team against the East, Central, and West.

Sox have played more games against the east, at around .667
    Indians are .609
    Angels are at .667

Compare the numbers for central and west also. The percentages are all close regardless of who they are playing.

I don't think the Sox are feasting on the weak east, they just started their first series with the Rays a couple days back.

They're playing ok, with luck after a few bad games with Texas and Seattle. That would suck if they had to play Seattle at the end, they can't seem to win over there.

P-
  3. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 15:17
    They are definitely the best team in the majors right now.

After them, the Tigers are a close second - picking up Sheffield was a brilliant move and now that Rogers is back, look for them to take off in the second half.

The Angels look pretty strong as well with a solid line-up and depth in pitching. I think the Indians are a bit overrated though. They got a lot of tools but Sizemore and Martinez are the only really consistent guys on the team and their pitching is not very deep.

In the NL, I would say, not surprisingly, that there are zero great teams right now. The Dodgers are slowly losing their starting pitching. The Padres are a team of loose cannons. The Mets are inconsistent. Also, the Chicago Cubs remind me of the Chinese - if they could ever get their ____ together, they could rule the world.
  4. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 15:45
    Originally posted by darvlay
    They are definitely the best team in the majors right now.

After them, the Tigers are a close second - picking up Sheffield was a brilliant move and now that Rogers is back, look for them to take off in the second half.

The Angels look pretty strong as well with a solid line-up and depth in pitching. I think the Indians are a bit overrated though. ...[text shortened]... emind me of the Chinese - if they could ever get their ____ together, they could rule the world.
    The Cubs have some nice players.
  5. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 16:43
    Originally posted by Red Night
    Nice as in friendly?

P-
  6. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 17:16
    Originally posted by Red Night
    And one of the best managers, if not the best manager in all of baseball. So what's their problem you may ask? Well, they are the Cubs, that's their problem.

BTW: Does anyone think that it is absolutly hilarious that the Yankees are doing so poorly this year? I mean, they spend more on their team a year than most 3rd world countries spend on a GNP a year.

In terms of salary, the Yankess and Red Sox should be the best team in baseball every year. When they are not, however, it becomes scandalous.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 17:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    And one of the best managers, if not the best manager in all of baseball. So what's their problem you may ask? Well, they are the Cubs, that's their problem.

BTW: Does anyone think that it is absolutly hilarious that the Yankees are doing so poorly this year? I mean, they spend more on their team a year than most 3rd world countries spend on a GNP a ye ...[text shortened]... d be the best team in baseball every year. When they are not, however, it becomes scandalous.
    I find it pretty hilarious but I also think that they will have a much better second half and will contend for the wild card.
  8. Under Cover
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 17:49
    Originally posted by darvlay
    I find it pretty hilarious but I also think that they will have a much better second half and will contend for the wild card.
    There's no question that their play has been far below their potential...but it's been loads of fun this year with regards to my friends who are Yankees fans.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 18:12
    There's no question that their play has been far below their potential...but it's been loads of fun this year with regards to my friends who are Yankees fans.
    "Friends who are Yankee fans". Hmmm - that's a contradiction of terms in my world. 😉
  10. Under Cover
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 18:221 edit
    They're handy to have around. Two in particular are brothers who own the local 7-Eleven. They got some Red Sox pullovers as a promotion thing for a Red Sox instant lottery ticket. Guess who got one of the nice pullovers?!😀
  11. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 18:49
    they buy everbody though
  12. Under Cover
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 18:54
    Originally posted by LivingForJesus
    they buy everbody though
    Yeah, so....😛
  13. Joined
    06 May '07
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 19:33
    Yeah, so....😛
    well you will proablly hate lol but I am a yankee fan
  14. Under Cover
    Moves
    05 Jul '07 19:39
    well you will proablly hate lol but I am a yankee fan
    Wow, a Yankee fan complaining about a team buying up all the talent...there's a new one on me!!!
  15. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    06 Jul '07 14:33
    they buy everbody though
    This isn't true, they have a VERY strong farm system.

Also, most teams DO buy most of their players, so I don't see your point.

P-

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree