1. weedhopper
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 21:40
    So, what do you think of their prediction? I can see the Tigers, but as much as I love 'em, I don't see the Cubbies winning their own division. I'll go with the Tigers over the Padres in 6.
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    28 Mar '08 21:56
    Originally posted by PinkFloyd
    So, what do you think of their prediction? I can see the Tigers, but as much as I love 'em, I don't see the Cubbies winning their own division. I'll go with the Tigers over the Padres in 6.
    Cubs will choke, yet again. Is this the 100th anniversary this year? Or has that already passed?
  3. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 04:07
    Has SI ever been close? Definitely not this year.

I think SI picked it for nostalgia as this was the same matchup in 1907 and 1908. Cubs won both.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 04:354 edits
    I will only comment on the Cubs.

You know I never bought the notion that the Red Sox were cursed back in the day. That is unless they bought the curse off and finally won a World Series. However, the Cubs are a different story. I think maybe there is something to it all. I just remember the fan who caught the fly ball in the stands that cost them a chance to go to the World Series as the Marlins ended up later eating them and then going on to win the World Series. Yep, no doubt about it, it matters little how good a team they have. They seem to be cursed and probably always will be. I just wonder if that fan who caught the ball is still in witness protection services. It was so bizzare it is as if he got caught in a bad Sienfeld episode.
  5. USA
    Moves
    30 Mar '08 14:46
    Originally posted by whodey
    I will only comment on the Cubs.

You know I never bought the notion that the Red Sox were cursed back in the day. That is unless they bought the curse off and finally won a World Series. However, the Cubs are a different story. I think maybe there is something to it all. I just remember the fan who caught the fly ball in the stands that cost them a cha ...[text shortened]... ess protection services. It was so bizzare it is as if he got caught in a bad Sienfeld episode.
    Steve Bartman?
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 04:05
    Not even close, besides, the Indians will win the Central.
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    01 Apr '08 05:13
    The last time Sports Illustrated was right about any baseball predictions was....oops, they have never been right.

Tigers and Padres is a reasonable guess. The Mets could be tough as could the Braves. The Angels and Red Sox will be tough as well.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    02 Apr '08 19:40
    Tigers got embarrassed by the Royals at home again today!

Pretty piss poor start for the "Best Offense in the Majors"...
  9. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 04:51
    Coach Piniella's lead-off experiment with Theriano lasted all of two games, and now he says he's flipping to Soriot. Good luck, Lou!

DIE, BARTMAN, DIE!
  10. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    03 Apr '08 21:17
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat

DIE, BARTMAN, DIE!
    That's German for "the Bartman, the"

*points to tattoo on chest*
  11. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    06 Apr '08 07:10
    I'll go with Red Sox-Diamondbacks
  12. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 17:23
    Originally posted by neonpeon41
    That's German for "the Bartman, the"

*points to tattoo on chest*
    🙂
    "remember sammy sosa"
  13. Standard memberneonpeon41
    The Conductor
    With the band
    Moves
    08 Apr '08 23:09
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    🙂
    "remember sammy sosa"
    Yes, I do.

Sorry for the rather obscure "Simpsons" reference above. I just couldn't help it.

"Cape Feare" episode, Sideshow Bob is questioned in court why he would want to murder Bart. A lawyer asks about the tattoo on his chest saying, "DIE, BART, DIE" to which he replies, "Oh that, why that's German for 'die Bart, die'. A juror is overheard saying, "Well, anyone who speaks German can't be evil."
  14. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    12 Apr '08 18:36
    Yes, I do.

Sorry for the rather obscure "Simpsons" reference above. I just couldn't help it.

"Cape Feare" episode, Sideshow Bob is questioned in court why he would want to murder Bart. A lawyer asks about the tattoo on his chest saying, "DIE, BART, DIE" to which he replies, "Oh that, why that's German for 'die Bart, die'. A juror is overheard saying, "Well, anyone who speaks German can't be evil."
    Rats, I didn't get your reference. I thought you were going for the scene in Memento where the protagonist (played by Guy Pierce, can't remember the characters name) is seeing the photo of himself pointing to the tattoo on his chest supposedly after already killing the man he thought killed his wife. So of course, I shot back with the reference to the tattoo on his hand (same movie) that says "remember sammy jankis" and twisted it to the Cubs reference of "remember sammy sosa"

Ah, no matter, fun was had by all!

lol @ simpsons reference. thanks for sharing it.
  15. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 05:56
    Yes, I do.

I thought he said 'vie, Bart, vie" which he interpreted as Live, Bart, Live. Or maybe it's been too long since I've seen that episode. Great reference.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree