1. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 17:32
    The big 3 sports in the US are Football, Basketball and Baseball.

If you look at viewership all three sports are in decline. Younger people are not as into sports compared to earlier generations.

Of course as sports gets tied to social and political issues, it turns groups of people off and the people who would like the issues do not like sports. This just makes the drop in viewership among older people. The younger people would rather play video games.
  2. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 17:44
    @eladar said

If you look at viewership all three sports are in decline. Younger people are not as into sports compared to earlier generations.

Of course as sports gets tied to social and political issues, it turns groups of people off and the people who would like the issues do not like sports. This just makes the drop in viewership among older people. The younger people would rather play video games.
    too much cheating
    big money
    and no loyalty
    I hope they eat themselves
  3. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 18:00
    Are you just looking at figures since the 2020 pandemic or has this been a steady decline in the past few years?
  4. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 18:26
    @vivify

Viewership started droppijng before COVID, but the last two years have been bad. People interested in sports are passing away.

Perhaps part of the issue would be all the pay per view stuff.
  5. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '21 19:54
    Here is a perfect example of political correctness in sports.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericalayala/2021/04/25/the-wnba-turns-25-what-will-viewership-trends-mean-for-the-future/?sh=f4582c61ff12

When I scroll through the channels and see a WNBA game I just keep on scrolling. Looks like very few people watch WNBA games, but they are put it on television anyhow.

Try to force people to watch things they do not want to watch just turns people off and people turn the channel.
  6. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 13:01
    I obviously can't comment on sport interest in the USA but in the UK I sense there is still an enormous amount of interest in Soccer(as you call it over there) and particularly in the younger generation.Go to any park over here on a weekend or school holiday and you'll nearly always see youngsters kicking a ball about(it used to be cricket in the summer, but that's another story!!).
    As for viewership,it'll be interesting to see the live attendance figures once(if) covid restrictions are lifted.
    I agree that "professional" sport has been hijacked by the money men and sadly it seems to be more about winning by whatever means than playing the game now.
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 13:53
    @lemondrop said
    too much cheating
    big money
    and no loyalty
    I hope they eat themselves
    Not sure about the cheating part, but I agree with everything else. Big league Pro athletes are over paid, spoiled children, who think only of themselves.

I watched a minor league baseball game a few years back. Low ticket prices, $1.50 hotdogs, and good quality baseball. No more MLB for me. As far as the NFL and NBA goes, I really don't care about them.
  8. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 15:04
    @mchill said
    Not sure about the cheating part, but I agree with everything else. Big league Pro athletes are over paid, spoiled children, who think only of themselves.

I watched a minor league baseball game a few years back. Low ticket prices, $1.50 hotdogs, and good quality baseball. No more MLB for me. As far as the NFL and NBA goes, I really don't care about them.
    by cheating I'm referring mainly to the use of illegal substances
    still a huge problem
  9. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 19:43
    @lemondrop said
    by cheating I'm referring mainly to the use of illegal substances
    still a huge problem
    Yes .I suppose all the other tactics professional sportspeople use is better described as gamesmanship.
    In premiership football in the UK it is particularly prevalent-falling over feigning injury to get a free kick is the most common.
    The unfortunate thing is the youngsters watch it and copy their heroes.
    On a different subject why, especially with the advent of covid are players still allowed to spit all over the place?
  10. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 20:12
    @venda said
    Yes .I suppose all the other tactics professional sportspeople use is better described as gamesmanship.
    In premiership football in the UK it is particularly prevalent-falling over feigning injury to get a free kick is the most common.
    The unfortunate thing is the youngsters watch it and copy their heroes.
    On a different subject why, especially with the advent of covid are players still allowed to spit all over the place?
    it's a habit that is unbreakable
    you would need a head covering to do any good
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 20:33
    @eladar said
    @vivify

Viewership started droppijng before COVID, but the last two years have been bad. People interested in sports are passing away.

Perhaps part of the issue would be all the pay per view stuff.
    For once, you are righr maugre thine own teeth. It's all about a hatred of greed, not of inclusion. In other words, it is against, not for, your Trumpery rants.
  12. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 20:471 edit
    @shallow-blue said
    For once, you are righr maugre thine own teeth. It's all about a hatred of greed, not of inclusion. In other words, it is against, not for, your Trumpery rants.
    Wow, that was not even from sonhouse.

I wonder how long it will take before people stop blaming Trump for everything. I think Bush was being blamed during both of Obama's terms.

Face it, all you have is hate.
  13. santa cruz, ca.
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 22:39
    @eladar said
    Wow, that was not even from sonhouse.

I wonder how long it will take before people stop blaming Trump for everything. I think Bush was being blamed during both of Obama's terms.

Face it, all you have is hate.
    I hear the little weenie is returning to power next month
    joy in kooksville again
  14. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '21 22:47
    @lemondrop said
    I hear the little weenie is returning to power next month
    joy in kooksville again
    He is anywhere, even in a sports forum on a chess site.

No mention of him anywhere then BAM, there he is!
  15. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    24 Jul '21 16:24
    @eladar said

Yes, Not much talk about Hockey my favorite Topic in sports.

-VR

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree