1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 05:22
    As I predicted last year with certainty lawsuits would arise over the ridiculous NCAA penchant for punishing those who committed no crime via draconian sanctions. I said before none of these sanctions affect the incidence of pedophilia one iota and therefore are unjust!
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/governor-sue-ncaa-over-penn-213600770--ncaaf.html
  2. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 05:45
    So you suggest much weaker sanctions or no sanctions were appropriate.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 12:33
    Originally posted by moon1969
    So you suggest much weaker sanctions or no sanctions were appropriate.
    I suggest you punish the culprits not a slate of kids who had nothing to do with this at all. There were several people at fault and none of them were students. Punish them with every bit of harshness the law calls for and impose sanctions on them. The way things were done many, many innocents get to suffer the consequences and the draconian sanctions do nothing to stem the sexual abuse of children by the many Sanduskys out there. Unfortunately there is no good answer as to how to effectively deal with these issues. Too many look the other way while children get hurt and the authorities are seldom willing to intervene effectively once abuse is reported. I do know one thing. Punishing those who had absolutely nothing to do with the crime has not even the remotest impact on decreasing child sexual abuse, which should be the goal.
  4. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 15:24
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    As I predicted last year with certainty lawsuits would arise over the ridiculous NCAA penchant for punishing those who committed no crime via draconian sanctions. I said before none of these sanctions affect the incidence of pedophilia one iota and therefore are unjust!
    The lawsuit seems to revolve around whether the $60 million fine, which is to be spent on preventing child abuse, is to be spent entirely inside Pennsylvania or distributed nationally. Not quite an argument about the justice of the fine, or 'punishment,' as you see it.
    It seems to me that your idea of punishment is in need of explanation. Who are the innocents you refer to and exactly how are they being punished?
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    02 Jan '13 22:47
    Originally posted by stevemcc
    The lawsuit seems to revolve around whether the $60 million fine, which is to be spent on preventing child abuse, is to be spent entirely inside Pennsylvania or distributed nationally. Not quite an argument about the justice of the fine, or 'punishment,' as you see it.
    It seems to me that your idea of punishment is in need of explanation. Who are the innocents you refer to and exactly how are they being punished?
    This is just the first of many lawsuits yet to com. The innocents are the PennSt student body and student athletes, the Pennsylvania taxpayers, already taxed to the max to somehow favor other states. These monies tend to be squandered in someone's pet project or crazy idea on how to prevent child abuse which frequently does not work. I'm talking about the current student athletes who had nothing to do with this mess yet pay the consequences. How about punishing the DA's office? They failed to act once the matter was reported! They are off free and clear despite their greater culpability than the student body!
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 04:51
    Update:
    http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaaf--ncaa%E2%80%99s-power-at-heart-of-tom-corbett%E2%80%99s-lawsuit-over-psu-193547660.html
  7. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 07:543 edits
    I suggest you punish the culprits not a slate of kids who had nothing to do with this at all. There were several people at fault and none of them were students. Punish them with every bit of harshness the law calls for and impose sanctions on them. The way things were done many, many innocents get to suffer the consequences and the draconian sanctions ...[text shortened]... ime has not even the remotest impact on decreasing child sexual abuse, which should be the goal.
    So you suggest that no NCAA sanctions were appropriate.Again, i just reread your reply closely, and you state nothing in your reply that the NCAA can do. The NCAA is not the law. Sandusky is already in jail. Others are being prosecuted for perjury I think. You seem to be confused about what are NCAA sanctions. By the way, NCAA sanctions by definition are against the insititution for violations by individuals (and sometimes strucutural acquiesence by the institution, not in a legal sense, but in a NCAA contractual sense) -- colleges agree to the contract allowing for sanctions.

Sometimes the individuals comiiting the specific violation are only remotely related to the institution.

The idea is the sanctions will entice the insititution to better prevent violations, educate against violations, encourage reporting, and police themselves, etc. which sanctions can actually work quite well to make those kind of things happen. I have seen it. I would understand and listen to what you are saying if you demonsstrated an understanding of what are NCAA sanctions and their purpose.
  8. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 08:271 edit
    Example Violation.
    An exuberant Ohio St. fan gives $1,000 to an Ohio St. football player. The fan is not really even associated with Ohio St. University. Goes to the games. Maybe contributed $100 one or two years. Not an active booster by any means.

NCAA Sanctions
    Sanctions imposed by NCAA against Ohio St univeristy, the athletic department, and the football program in particular. Thus, Ohio pays, Ohio tax payers pay, Ohio St. University pays even though they have agressively discouraged and educated against such gift giving, all Ohio St. students pay, all Ohio St. athletes pay, all Ohio St. football players pay (not just the player who received the $1000), etc.

Result is Ohio St. tries to get more creative and even more agressive in preventing such gift giving from happening. The point is that this type of NCAA sanctions is what the colleges want implemented. They agree to it as members of the NCAA. The NCAA leadership is from the universities. Did you not know how NCAA sanctions work? This new court case has nothing to do with the objections you raise, by the way. Moreover, it is really not outrageous sanctions. Think about the SMU death penalty. Think about the number of innocents in that sanction. I watched it happened, and the effects lasted for a couple of decades.
  9. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 08:30
    The NCAA is not the law.

By definition, NCAA sanctions punish those who have comitted no crime. Where have you been? Under a rock?
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    03 Jan '13 12:30
    Originally posted by moon1969
    The NCAA is not the law.

By definition, NCAA sanctions punish those who have comitted no crime. Where have you been? Under a rock?
    You just made my very point! NCAA is not the law, yet acts as if it were and sweeps all non responsible parties under the bus regardless of real consequences, unintended consequences, who is affected and so on. As for under a rock, perhaps, but a more just and righteous rock refusing to punish those who did no wrong! If I fail to understand it is because nothing the NCAA makes one it of sense!
  11. Joined
    15 Oct '10
    Moves
    04 Jan '13 00:14
    I'm talking about the current student athletes who had nothing to do with this mess yet pay the consequences. How about punishing the DA's office? They failed to act once the matter was reported! They are off free and clear despite their greater culpability than the student body!
    What consequences do the student athletes pay? If the DA's office ignored the charges I would be in favor of taking action against it. And how do the taxpayers suffer from having a corrupt institution cleaned up?
  12. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    05 Jan '13 01:52
    But the entire institution covered up the pedo activity. What would you have them do, nothing?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree