1. Joined
    04 Mar '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 00:31
    What determines if an NFL team is named by the state or a city. Denver Broncos, MN Vikings.. etc. Any ideas?
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 00:43
    Originally posted by SilentDeath
    What determines if an NFL team is named by the state or a city. Denver Broncos, MN Vikings.. etc. Any ideas?
    The owner can name it whatever he wants, I believe. They're typically named after the state if the owner doesn't want to alienate the populace of one of two major towns nearby. That's why the Minnesota Twins aren't named the Minneapolis Twins, so they don't offend the people in St. Paul. It's probably the same for the Vikings.
  3. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 01:251 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    The owner can name it whatever he wants, I believe. They're typically named after the state if the owner doesn't want to alienate the populace of one of two major towns nearby. That's why the Minnesota Twins aren't named the Minneapolis Twins, so they don't offend the people in St. Paul. It's probably the same for the Vikings.
    Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 😕

(I realize it's MLB... but what a dumb name.)
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    30 Dec '06 02:28
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim 😕

(I realize it's MLB... but what a dumb name.)
    They used to be the California Angels. 😛

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree