1. Joined
    29 May '10
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 16:40
    NY Yankees owner George Steinbrenner dies at 80

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100713/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bbo_obit_steinbrenner

in related news, reports coming in from the afterlife that St. Peter is developing nausea, migraines, and a bleeding ulcer....
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 16:46
    huh

i'm guessing since he was 80 he wasn't doing a lot at the yankees and there will be little to no change?
  3. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 16:56
    A truly great owner (even if he at times was crazy and lacked class). George always wanted his team to win and was willing to spend to bring great players. An owner who understood that by investing in product you could make your team a winner (10 world series apparenace since he bought the team) and make a boat load of money too. Without Steinbrenner, I could not have seen and rooted for Hall of Famers like Hunter, Reggie, Winfield and Gossage.

When I see clowns who think they are Steinbrenner but don't deliver like Al Davis or Jerry Jones or outbursts by owner who never did anything Dan Gilbert, I certainly apprciate what was done by George.

He even timed his death perfectly so he could get his moment of silence before at the All Star game.
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 17:521 edit
    RIP, George. One of the great sports owners of all time. He may have been a little crazy. But all he wanted to do was win, win win.

For all the talk about spending big, he also made the Yankees enormously profitable with brilliant business acumen.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 18:461 edit
    Originally posted by sh76
    RIP, George. One of the great sports owners of all time. He may have been a little crazy. But all he wanted to do was win, win win.

For all the talk about spending big, he also made the Yankees enormously profitable with brilliant business acumen.
    I've always wondered why the Yankees never held a George Steinbrenner Day. I kept hoping they'd schedule one while he was still alive to enjoy it.

Perhaps they could have done this at one of the Old Timers Games (keeping it all a secret from George of course), and gotten absolutely everyone who ever played a game while George was the owner to return for the occasion, and then unveiled a new plaque in monument park. Who knows, maybe they could've even gotten Dave Winfield to come.

Oh well.
  6. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 18:50
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    I've always wondered why the Yankees never held a George Steinbrenner Day. I kept hoping they'd schedule one while he was still alive to enjoy it.

Perhaps they could have done this at one of the Old Timers Games (keeping it all a secret from George of course), and gotten absolutely everyone who ever played a game while George was the owner to return f ...[text shortened]... monument park. Who knows, maybe they could've even gotten Dave Winfield to come.

Oh well.
    I think it is tough for the owner of a team to basically have a day for himself. Although he is not alive to enjoy it, they should have one for him now.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 18:57
    "You Huckleberries!!!"

first words heard by Bob Sheppard and George Steinbrenner upon entering the afterlife.
  8. Joined
    29 May '10
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 19:17
    trolling in favor of Steinbrenner? - a new low, even for trolls.
  9. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 19:26
    Originally posted by r99pawn77
    trolling in favor of Steinbrenner? - a new low, even for trolls.
    But only discussing the things you don't like about someone who just died and ignoring their greatness. That's classy!
  10. Joined
    29 May '10
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 19:54
    Originally posted by quackquack
    But only discussing the things you don't like about someone who just died and ignoring their greatness. That's classy!
    and now you are not only trolling, but stalking the thread too!

whoa...newer lows all the time..

Solution:

Step 1) shut off computer
    Step 2) get up from chair
    Step 3) go outside
    Step 4) talk to an actual human
    Step 5) realize there is life beyond this little dumb box
  11. Standard memberuzless
    The So Fist
    Voice of Reason
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 20:01
    Originally posted by sh76

...and a market with 10 million people
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 20:08
    and now you are not only trolling, but stalking the thread too!

whoa...newer lows all the time..

Solution:

Step 1) shut off computer
    Step 2) get up from chair
    Step 3) go outside
    Step 4) talk to an actual human
    Step 5) realize there is life beyond this little dumb box
    I think that you are the only one acting inappropriately.

As a baseball fan you should realize that Steinbrenner built great teams and brought great players to New York. He understood that free agency was an opportunity to acquire great players and he later bult the YES network to further capture the economic benefits of sports teams. Perhaps more than any other man he changed the way the game was played. He brought some of the greatest stars the largest media market and kept alive the traditions of the past. Of course he was not perfect but as a life long Yankees fan I will always be thankful of Mr. Steinbrenner's contributions.
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 22:062 edits
    Originally posted by uzless
    ...and a market with 10 million people
    the world of sports is littered with franchises in big markets that have performed woefully in many/most seasons.

The Yankees under Steinbrenner were only occasionally mediocre, and almost NEVER were they woeful (excluding the early 90's when Steinbrenner was temporarily banished).
  14. Joined
    29 May '10
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 23:17
    still on this?

man, you folks have absolutely no life whatsoever, huh?

I live in Jersey. There is no one...no one in the NYC metro area who liked Steinbrenner...

no one...

but, hey, troll on...

I mean, you could be outside, with real human beings, doing real stuff....but if you want to be junior high school losers playing trolling games your whole life...

go ahead...

do you really think anyone does not get what you are doing?

who do you think is left online who buys the bait you are pushing?

no one...

move on...find something else to do with your time..

preferably in the real world...with another actual human being..

please get a life...

i mean...for your own sake

I am a disabled guy, almost killed in 2003 from carbon monoxide poisoning...and barely alive today

what is your excuse?

I have to be here, have nowhere else to go and nothing else to do..

are you young?

geez...go to a bar and pick up some chicks or something...please...get a life....
  15. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 23:45
    still on this?

man, you folks have absolutely no life whatsoever, huh?

I live in Jersey. There is no one...no one in the NYC metro area who liked Steinbrenner...

no one...

but, hey, troll on...

I mean, you could be outside, with real human beings, doing real stuff....but if you want to be junior high school losers playing trolling games you ...[text shortened]... you young?

geez...go to a bar and pick up some chicks or something...please...get a life....
    the only person i see trolling this thread is you. get a grip.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree