1. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 17:29
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    In the end it was poor captaincy. Although I didn't see them it would appear Australia frittered their referrals away on marginal decisions and could have made Broad walk had they used them more wisely. Cook kept them up his sleeve and waved off Haddin. That Broad should be the scapegoat for poor captaincy is misapportionment ( is that even a word ? ) of blame.
    yes he should, he had the chance to exercise his conscience, there was no ethical dilemma!
  2. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 19:09
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Sigh, obviously you attended the Terry Thomas school for scoundrels! Haddin is not an Englishman, he cannot be expected to be guided by the same moral principles! The chivalric code has been torn asunder, replaced by a Realpolitik system of unprincipled expediency, its downright unEnglish and unmanly I say!
    Pray tell, when was this golden age of English cricket chivalry?

The 1930s perhaps?
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 20:523 edits
    Originally posted by Rank outsider

The 1930s perhaps?
    The chivalric code has existed in England since the French troubadours started to immortalise the virtues of ladies in song, that it permeated to cricket through the common culture is hard to trace, but it did! Have you never seen the Indian Film Laggan, a cricket match between some naive Indian villagers and the crème of the British Raj? Even the villagers understood that an Englishmans word is his bond! To renegade on your debts in the service of the Raj was a heinous iniquity! Lloyds of London built an entire world empire from the understanding that it would make good on its promises! That it 'was not cricket', to renege!
  4. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 20:55
    Originally posted by Rank outsider

The 1930s perhaps?
    Go back a bit further than that. It has to be at least pre-1882.

"In the very first England vs Australia Test, W G Grace cheated so blatantly – running out a batsman who had stepped out of his crease to pat down a divot"
  5. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 20:591 edit
    The chivalric code has existed in England since the French troubadours started
    I object to being given lessons on sporting chivalry by someone who comes from the same country that produced Duncan Ferguson.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 21:02
    Originally posted by thaughbaer
    I object to being given lessons on sporting chivalry by someone who comes from the same country that produced Duncan Ferguson.
    LOL, big Duncan was awesome, remember when he hospitalised those two dudes that tried to break into his house, thats justice!
  7. In your face
    Moves
    14 Jul '13 21:56
    why didn't he walk, he was out, is this what we have come to expect from test cricket, pumpkin eating?
    Come back when you've got a cricket team together. At the moment allyou have is a few paragraphs of bitter rhetoric.

Chripes almighty!
  8. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 04:15
    If cricket is a game which reflects fair play at its highest level, he should have walked irrespective of whether the umpire gave him out or not, why? because that would have been in harmony with the, 'spirit of the game', now sadly being eroded by expediency, so called 'ethical dilemma' and references to 'what other players do'. Hard to respect that.
    Bull.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 10:543 edits
    Originally posted by Sicilian Sausage
    Come back when you've got a cricket team together. At the moment allyou have is a few paragraphs of bitter rhetoric.

Chripes almighty!
    I have a cricket team, its called India and it can wupp yo sorry A$$! any day! I am not bitter, i simply don't like to see the game suffer at the hands of unprincipled play. Those who defend this type of play are bounders and cads!
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 10:57
    Originally posted by Crowley
    Bull.
    such winsome words and appeal to reason wasted on ingrates, its no wonder that i transcend this forumnšŸ˜µ
  11. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 13:04
    such winsome words and appeal to reason wasted on ingrates, its no wonder that i transcend this forumnšŸ˜µ
    You are a troll who wants to bash the English any chance he gets. Please transcend this forum forever.
  12. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 13:07
    I have a cricket team, its called India and it can wupp yo sorry A$$! any day! I am not bitter, i simply don't like to see the game suffer at the hands of unprincipled play. Those who defend this type of play are bounders and cads!
    Most Indian batsmen will not walk either, plus the Indians have for the history of the modern game tried to force umpires into wrong decisions when their spinners are bowling with a bunch of close fielders around the bat, so your 'argument' falls flat on its ass.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 13:39
    You are a troll who wants to bash the English any chance he gets. Please transcend this forum forever.
    and you my fat friend seem to be lacking a sense of humour.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 13:394 edits
    Most Indian batsmen will not walk either, plus the Indians have for the history of the modern game tried to force umpires into wrong decisions when their spinners are bowling with a bunch of close fielders around the bat, so your 'argument' falls flat on its ass.
    you cannot reach me, your protestations are useless and meaningless and reverberate off some distant point in cyberspace like raindrops falling in the mouth of some Antarctic cave, you have insulted me without cause and I have nothing to give you and want nothing from you either, now if you apologise, I may forgive you, until then, please spare me.
  15. Standard memberCrowley
    Not Aleister
    Control room
    Moves
    15 Jul '13 14:03
    and you my fat friend seem to be lacking a sense of humour.
    How very christian of you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree