Tampa Rays PANIC!~

Tampa Rays PANIC!~

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
15 Oct 08
2 edits

Tampa will sit "Big Game James" because their backs are against the WALL in ALCS with defending champion Red Sox! This may be the epic collapse we've ALL been expecting.

Now they (Rays) have to decide whom to put on the mound.

Right-hander James Shields has been the scheduled starter, but they were considering switching to left-hander Scott Kazmir.

“It’s possible,” manager Joe Maddon said.
ADVERTISEMENT

There seemed to be several theories in play. One was that with a 3-1 lead they’d switch to Kazmir, knowing Shields was still available for a potential Game 6 at home, where he pitches better. Another was that if they have the chance to finish off the Sox, they should use their most dependable pitcher, which would be Shields.

Kazmir, who has struggled in two postseason starts, has pitched well in Fenway, 4-4 with a 3.02 ERA even after one rough outing and one so-so outing this season. Moving him up would allow the Rays to use the bullpen freely if needed, with the benefit of a day off Friday. And it would avoid having Kazmir work Game 6 with the plate staffed by umpire Derryl Cousins, whom he blasted after a June game.

From: http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=ArYSmqNlNYq4YUH.eDLMw1gq0bYF?slug=teamreports-2008-mlb-tam&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
15 Oct 08

I have a feeling Tampa could pitch the janitor and he would beat the Sox. Just tell him not to pitch to Pedroia. 😛

G
Mr. Shield

Moves
15 Oct 08
2 edits

Originally posted by Phlabibit
Tampa will sit "Big Game James" because their backs are against the WALL in ALCS with defending champion Red Sox! This may be the epic collapse we've ALL been expecting.

Now they (Rays) have to decide whom to put on the mound.

Right-hander James Shields has been the scheduled starter, but they were considering switching to left-hander Scott Kazmi rYSmqNlNYq4YUH.eDLMw1gq0bYF?slug=teamreports-2008-mlb-tam&prov=sportsxchange&type=team_report
Sounds like good baseballing to me. You're up 3-1, you have to face the Sox' only solid pitcher in the series so far, then get to face Beckett who is sucking it up. Who would you rather throw your best pitcher at, when you know you can probably get great offense off of Beckett?

g

Moves
15 Oct 08

Originally posted by GalaxyShield
Sounds like good baseballing to me. You're up 3-1, you have to face the Sox' only solid pitcher in the series so far, then get to face Beckett who is sucking it up. Who would you rather throw your best pitcher at, when you know you can probably get great offense off of Beckett?
Thank you. Finally somebody who agrees with me. If Kazmir can't pull off the win, then Shields pitches at home. If Kazmir pulls it off, they start the World Series with Shields on the mound at home. Plus, Kazmir is a pretty good pitcher. He ended up with the win in the All-Star Game.

K
Happier Now!!

Home!!

Moves
16 Oct 08

Originally posted by golfer1
Thank you. Finally somebody who agrees with me. If Kazmir can't pull off the win, then Shields pitches at home. If Kazmir pulls it off, they start the World Series with Shields on the mound at home. Plus, Kazmir is a pretty good pitcher. He ended up with the win in the All-Star Game.
I thinkit a sound strategy too. Besides, the ways the sox have been playing this series, it's a miracle they made it this far. They have looked terrible, in Fenway no less!!!

A

Moves
16 Oct 08

Originally posted by KJCavalier
I thinkit a sound strategy too. Besides, the ways the sox have been playing this series, it's a miracle they made it this far. They have looked terrible, in Fenway no less!!!
Even if the Redsox win game 5, there's no way they can beat the Rays two more times in Tropicana field.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
16 Oct 08

Originally posted by Arachnarchist
Even if the Redsox win game 5, there's no way they can beat the Rays two more times in Tropicana field.
While I would never say "no way it could happen" (right you Yankee fans 😉 ) let's say the odds are pretty long against them. Let's face it, the Red Sox do have their best three starters going in those games. I would not bet against the Rays (especially since I picked them to win).

A

Moves
16 Oct 08

Originally posted by shortcircuit
While I would never say "no way it could happen" (right you Yankee fans 😉 ) let's say the odds are pretty long against them. Let's face it, the Red Sox do have their best three starters going in those games. I would not bet against the Rays (especially since I picked them to win).
Okay, you're right, it's possible but their odds are greatly diminished by the fact that two of these three games they have to win are on the road. I am well aware of the fact that the sox came back from a 3-1 deficit last year, but there the last two were in fenway.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
16 Oct 08

Okay, you're right, it's possible but their odds are greatly diminished by the fact that two of these three games they have to win are on the road. I am well aware of the fact that the sox came back from a 3-1 deficit last year, but there the last two were in fenway.
To win 3 in a row anywhere in the playoffs is great and very difficult. I will tell you one thing about pressure. Tonight it will all be on the Sox. However, IF the Sox win the game, believe it or not, the pressure will revert to Tampa because they are supposed to win, and they have their "big money" pitcher going. Should they lose than game, their collect sphincters will be the size of a pinhead in game 7 and the Sox will have more confidence because they have been there before. Tampa needs to win it tonight, or it will be a 50-50 proposition for them in game 6.

DR

Moves
17 Oct 08

... However, [b]after the Sox win the game...[/b]
fixed

Go Mighty Boston Sports Machine!

A

Moves
17 Oct 08

To win 3 in a row anywhere in the playoffs is great and very difficult. I will tell you one thing about pressure. Tonight it will all be on the Sox. However, IF the Sox win the game, believe it or not, the pressure will revert to Tampa because they are supposed to win, and they have their "big money" pitcher going. Should they lose than game, their coll ...[text shortened]... e before. Tampa needs to win it tonight, or it will be a 50-50 proposition for them in game 6.
I respectfully disagree. Even though they lost game 5, they have a good chance to do it in game 6. Even if Beckett is pitching, we've already seen that the rays can get to him. Besides, now they're going home.

However, I would say that if they lose game 6 then they will probably lose game 7 as well.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
17 Oct 08

I respectfully disagree. Even though they lost game 5, they have a good chance to do it in game 6. Even if Beckett is pitching, we've already seen that the rays can get to him. Besides, now they're going home.

However, I would say that if they lose game 6 then they will probably lose game 7 as well.
It's already ovah! Sox lost last night. I should know, they were down 7-0 when I SHUT IT OFF!

P-

Read a book!

Moves
17 Oct 08

Originally posted by Phlabibit
It's already ovah! Sox lost last night. I should know, they were down 7-0 when I SHUT IT OFF!

P-
And then, Maddon lifted the pitcher..

A

Moves
17 Oct 08

Originally posted by HandyAndy
And then, Maddon lifted the pitcher..
And then David Ortiz got going . . .

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
17 Oct 08

And then David Ortiz got going . . .
They could have used his bat last night in that 7-0 crush!

Thread 101528