1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    14 Jun '15 16:513 edits
    I'm not a very good player and I'm not in great shape, but I enjoy the game and I'd like to pick your brains on 2 questions:

1. Right now, I'm using a $20 racket from Walmart. Assuming I'm willing to pony up a few extra bucks for a better racket. What should I look for? I'm looking mainly for control and for a forgiving racket. I do not need or have the skill to use a lot of power. I'm relatively short (5'7" ) and I have smallish to medium sized hands. Any racket suggestions, say up to about $150?

2. I generally seem to start to run out of gas about an hour into the game (less time on a hot day). I know that getting in better shape would help on that front, but let's assume that's not in the cards right now. I generally don't eat much in the hours before I play and I rely on Gatorade during the game to keep my hydrated. Should I be eating something, say, a protein bar or some carbs or something before the game? If so, when?

Thanks!
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Jun '15 00:33

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    24 Jun '15 15:463 edits
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'm not a very good player and I'm not in great shape, but I enjoy the game and I'd like to pick your brains on 2 questions:

1. Right now, I'm using a $20 racket from Walmart. Assuming I'm willing to pony up a few extra bucks for a better racket. What should I look for? I'm looking mainly for control and for a forgiving racket. I do not need or have the skil ...[text shortened]... mething, say, a protein bar or some carbs or something before the game? If so, when?

Thanks!
    Regarding your choice of rackets, I'd suggest visiting a tennis center and asking one of the teaching pro's. Those folks sometimes like to dispense advise. I wouldn't spend a penny on another racket however until you've wore out the one you have. As far as what to eat, I'd limit yourself to some water or Gatorade and 1/2 of a granola bar. As far as food goes, less is more when you're exercising.

A cool idea I found regarding tennis, is hitting the ball against a cement or brick wall if you can find one. The wall rewards accurate, consistent shots, and punishes bad one's.
    The wall also make you a better player, and can get you in pretty good physical shape.

Your instincts are sound. Any sport that includes Maria Sharapova can't be all bad! 😀
  4. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    26 Jun '15 15:561 edit
    Thanks both.

I've done the brick wall thing. Works great until all of your balls are on the roof. LOL.

I bought a new raquet and today's the first test.

Wish me luck. 😉
  5. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    28 Jun '15 09:56
    Originally posted by sh76
    Thanks both.

I've done the brick wall thing. Works great until all of your balls are on the roof. LOL.

I bought a new raquet and today's the first test.

Wish me luck. 😉
    Keep 'em on the run
  6. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    03 Jul '15 09:17
    Get a racket worth about 100buks (with a month gurantee) and hit the ball a until you get used to the sweet spot. that should take 25mins
    then do the same thing with EASY top spins and easy back spin shots.
    Then shout a mate a six pack who can hit the ball regurlaly bout 6 ft from the baseline for about 60 mins a day trying to focus your aim( from your sweet spot)
    Do that for 3 weeks just sticking to baseline shots.
    The rest is feel.(another three weeks for 4 or 5 sessions a week)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree