Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

1. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    14 Jun '15 16:51 / 3 edits
    I'm not a very good player and I'm not in great shape, but I enjoy the game and I'd like to pick your brains on 2 questions:

1. Right now, I'm using a $20 racket from Walmart. Assuming I'm willing to pony up a few extra bucks for a better racket. What should I look for? I'm looking mainly for control and for a forgiving racket. I do not need or have the skill to use a lot of power. I'm relatively short (5'7" ) and I have smallish to medium sized hands. Any racket suggestions, say up to about $150?

2. I generally seem to start to run out of gas about an hour into the game (less time on a hot day). I know that getting in better shape would help on that front, but let's assume that's not in the cards right now. I generally don't eat much in the hours before I play and I rely on Gatorade during the game to keep my hydrated. Should I be eating something, say, a protein bar or some carbs or something before the game? If so, when?

Thanks!
  2. 18 Jun '15 00:33
    Originally posted by sh76
    I'm not a very good player and I'm not in great shape, but I enjoy the game and I'd like to pick your brains on 2 questions:

1. Right now, I'm using a $20 racket from Walmart. Assuming I'm willing to pony up a few extra bucks for a better racket. What should I look for? I'm looking mainly for control and for a forgiving racket. I do not need or have the skil ...[text shortened]... mething, say, a protein bar or some carbs or something before the game? If so, when?

Thanks!
    About your racket, you really should ask someone who knows how you play.
    Does your club have a teaching pro? If you are willing to spend more money on a new racket,
    it may be worth your while to pay for a lesson or two and have the pro evaluate your game.
  3. Standard member bill718
    Enigma
    24 Jun '15 15:46 / 3 edits

1. Right now, I'm using a $20 racket from Walmart. Assuming I'm willing to pony up a few extra bucks for a better racket. What should I look for? I'm looking mainly for control and for a forgiving racket. I do not need or have the skil ...[text shortened]... mething, say, a protein bar or some carbs or something before the game? If so, when?

Thanks!
    Regarding your choice of rackets, I'd suggest visiting a tennis center and asking one of the teaching pro's. Those folks sometimes like to dispense advise. I wouldn't spend a penny on another racket however until you've wore out the one you have. As far as what to eat, I'd limit yourself to some water or Gatorade and 1/2 of a granola bar. As far as food goes, less is more when you're exercising.

A cool idea I found regarding tennis, is hitting the ball against a cement or brick wall if you can find one. The wall rewards accurate, consistent shots, and punishes bad one's.
    The wall also make you a better player, and can get you in pretty good physical shape.

Your instincts are sound. Any sport that includes Maria Sharapova can't be all bad!
  4. Standard member sh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    26 Jun '15 15:56 / 1 edit
    Thanks both.

I've done the brick wall thing. Works great until all of your balls are on the roof. LOL.

I bought a new raquet and today's the first test.

Wish me luck.
  5. Donation ketchuplover
    G.O.A.T.
    28 Jun '15 09:56
    Thanks both.

I've done the brick wall thing. Works great until all of your balls are on the roof. LOL.

I bought a new raquet and today's the first test.

Wish me luck.
    Keep 'em on the run
  6. Subscriber karoly aczel
    Happy Chappy
    03 Jul '15 09:17
    Get a racket worth about 100buks (with a month gurantee) and hit the ball a until you get used to the sweet spot. that should take 25mins
    then do the same thing with EASY top spins and easy back spin shots.
    Then shout a mate a six pack who can hit the ball regurlaly bout 6 ft from the baseline for about 60 mins a day trying to focus your aim( from your sweet spot)
    Do that for 3 weeks just sticking to baseline shots.
    The rest is feel.(another three weeks for 4 or 5 sessions a week)