Thai Boxing

Thai Boxing

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
10 Feb 07
1 edit

I would like to take up thai boxing but I always think of something somebody said to me once after an aikido class, that thai boxing changes your body language and can get you into more fights. Having asked various practitioners of martial arts over the years if they'd used their art outside the dojo (whether by design or not), I found that the answers varied massively. Aikido practitioners all said no, judo practitioners all said no (except one), thai boxers all said yes.

The skill of a thai boxer is what I'd want, it would complement the skills gained from 15 years of doing judo, but if there was any danger of becoming more aggressive then I'd steer clear.

Does anybody with first hand experience have any comment to make about this?

Can I also ask for general advice, in the event that I do start.

Thanks

asromac

t
True X X Xian

The Lord's Army

Moves
10 Feb 07
1 edit

Originally posted by asromacalcio
I would like to take up thai boxing but I always think of something somebody said to me once after an aikido class, that thai boxing changes your body language and can get you into more fights. Having asked various practitioners of martial arts over the years if they'd used their art outside the dojo (whether by design or not), I found that the answers his?

Thanks

asromac
Muy Thai is good stuff. I've never done it myself, but it is the shiznit for striking. As far as being aggressive, I think that's entirely up to you. If you keep the fight attitude in the gym, and remember that outside most people around you just want to go on through their day, you'll have few problems. If you carry a fighter attitude out into public then you'll probably send the wrong signal (even if you don't mean to).

Anyway, I do judo. I'm starting to train in BJJ just to help my judo. I'm all grappler, but if I had time to train something else, Muy Thai would probably be it.

For RHP addons...

tinyurl.com/yssp6g

Moves
10 Feb 07

Originally posted by asromacalcio
I would like to take up thai boxing but I always think of something somebody said to me once after an aikido class, that thai boxing changes your body language and can get you into more fights. Having asked various practitioners of martial arts over the years if they'd used their art outside the dojo (whether by design or not), I found that the answers ...[text shortened]... his?

Thanks

asromac
I've done Karate, Taekwondo and Muy Thai. Muy Thai is probably my favourite. I'm not sure whether Muy Thai changes your body language or whether the different martial arts attract different types of people.

I haven't had a fight (outside the ring) since I took it up.

All you can do is go to a couple of classes and see if it is for you or not.

D

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
10 Feb 07

I went to find the club today, it seems to have disappeared. I'm off that way again now, I'll ask somebody this time.

Thanks both

asromac

s
Death from Above

El Paso, TX

Moves
11 Feb 07

I do Colt .45.

m
Ajarn

Wat?

Moves