1. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    09 Nov '06 21:22
    Originally posted by angusbailie

Thirdly, i am glad to see that the ICC finally got rid of its HAIR! that guy should never have been an umpire at international level. it is clear he carries grudges and doesn't like to be questioned and above all is biased, i recall the sa tour to oz about ten years ago where if the ball just hit a south african pad they were given out lbw, peter kirsten ...[text shortened]... ds and a wrong descission can ruin a career. the technology is there, use it if you have doubt.[/b]
    NICE ONE!
  2. Cosmos
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 02:11
    2-2, hence England retain the Ashes.

The bookies are giving 7 to 1 odds on this, so well worth a punt.

I think the Aussies will dominate and win their 2 tests easily with a day or two to spare. England will rely on a couple of outstanding performances (Freddie, Monty, Peitersen and Straus) to sneak their wins with a hard fought draw at the end.
  3. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 02:21
    Originally posted by howardgee
    2-2, hence England retain the Ashes.

The bookies are giving 7 to 1 odds on this, so well worth a punt.

I think the Aussies will dominate and win their 2 tests easily with a day or two to spare. England will rely on a couple of outstanding performances (Freddie, Monty, Peitersen and Straus) to sneak their wins with a hard fought draw at the end.
    Monty?

I'm not sure that is what Fletcher has in mind.
  4. Cosmos
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 03:41
    Originally posted by Ian68
    Monty?

I'm not sure that is what Fletcher has in mind.
    The one glaring weakness as far as I can tell is Ashley Giles. He is past it now and should not be in the side on the back of the last ashes tour alone. I would have liked to have seen Mike Yardie, a promising all-rounder in the squad instead of him.
    Monty can spin more than Giles, so is a natural replacement.
  5. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 11:28
    Originally posted by howardgee
    The one glaring weakness as far as I can tell is Ashley Giles. He is past it now and should not be in the side on the back of the last ashes tour alone. I would have liked to have seen Mike Yardie, a promising all-rounder in the squad instead of him.
    Monty can spin more than Giles, so is a natural replacement.
    You know that and I know that but we don't pick the team.

I read somewhere that Fletcher wanted to play Flintoff as one of four bowlers but doesn't think he is fit enough for that yet, so he will have to only play 5 batsmen leaving the batting weak. And you know when Fletcher starts talking about the batting being weak he's going to play Giles instead of a real bowler.
  6. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 13:11
    You know that and I know that but we don't pick the team.

I read somewhere that Fletcher wanted to play Flintoff as one of four bowlers but doesn't think he is fit enough for that yet, so he will have to only play 5 batsmen leaving the batting weak. And you know when Fletcher starts talking about the batting being weak he's going to play Giles instead of a real bowler.
    We've been waiting years for a proper spinner - if we don't play him now we might have got one, then quite frankly we deserve to lose.
  7. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    10 Nov '06 16:28
    England's warm up game and they get a pasting by the prime minister's XI:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/shared/fds/hi/statistics/cricket/scorecards/2006/11/12936/html/scorecard.stm

Mahmood goes for 11 an over!!!! I'd rather have Giles and Panesar in the team then that performance.

A bad performance with the bat by the top order - Tres, Cook, KP and Flinty all out for not much.
  8. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    11 Nov '06 13:34
    Originally posted by mtthw
    Just goes to show not everyone in Yorkshire knows what they're talking about, eh?
    The game's too slow, they go in when it rains, and they have a break for 'tea'.... now tell me I don't know what I'm talking about!!!
  9. Standard memberlordhighgus
    Kara Thrace &
    her special destiny
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 12:29
    Originally posted by angusbailie
    firstly, cricket is a game for the mind and body and thus a complete sport.

secondly, i think the ashes will regretably go the way of the aussies, i concur with 3 -1.

Thirdly, i am glad to see that the ICC finally got rid of its HAIR! that guy should never have been an umpire at international level. it is clear he carries grudges and doesn't like ...[text shortened]... ds and a wrong descission can ruin a career. the technology is there, use it if you have doubt.
    Daryl Hair was screwed over right royal by the cabal of the asian cricketing playing nations who break and bend the rules at thier whim. Hair was ranked the most accurate and by the ICC's own admission the most fair umpire on the elite panel in the ICC umpire ratings released the day the biased and biggotted ruling bodies voted to sack him.
    He may have been a prat as a person, but he stuck to the rules.
    This is NOT cricket gentlemen.
  10. Joined
    15 Apr '04
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 14:102 edits
    Originally posted by DoctorScribbles
    I don't think cricket is a very good sport.
    You could start a thread entitled "I don't like cricket" if you like.

This thread is about the Ashes. Please don't fill it with off topic posts about whether cricket is a good sport or not.

Thanks. 🙂
  11. Joined
    06 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 14:20
    There is only one test in Adelaide. The Fifth is in Sydney and the aussies don't lose in sydney. Panasar is not even half the spinner that Warney is. He will bag 13+ wickets in sydney. Nither will The Aussies lose the Boxing Day Test at the MCG. That is equivilant to playinf the AFL Grand final.......The aussies will stand tall on such a magnificent stage. Also, while we are at it the Aussies love good ol Adelaide Oval. Its beauty, Its charm, thaey love it here (thats my home in case you can't work it out!!) They will win here as well........That makes it......let me seeee.......Gabba-1......Adelaide-2....Perth-3......MCG-4.......SCG-5. Looks like the Aussies romp it in 5-0 whitewash!!! Bad luck Poms, hopoe you enjoyed your brief hold of the old Urn.....18 years is a long time to wait to have it again😀
  12. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 14:23
    Originally posted by Sportking
    There is only one test in Adelaide. The Fifth is in Sydney and the aussies don't lose in sydney. Panasar is not even half the spinner that Warney is. He will bag 13+ wickets in sydney. Nither will The Aussies lose the Boxing Day Test at the MCG. That is equivilant to playinf the AFL Grand final.......The aussies will stand tall on such a magnificent stage. ...[text shortened]... enjoyed your brief hold of the old Urn.....18 years is a long time to wait to have it again😀
    Nice prediction. Did McGrath and Lee enjoy getting a pasting this morning?
  13. Joined
    06 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 14:27
    Originally posted by SALADIN
    NICE ONE!
    There is a couple of things to consider while bad mouthing Darryl Hair. 1) he called Murali for chucking. The only ump with the balls to do so. 2) He has accused Pakistan of ball tampering and when they refuse to play he calls in a forfeit. Again...the only Ump with the balls to call something like that.
    He may have his faults, as all Umpires (and players for that matter have) but at least he calls it as he sees it and doesn't worry about avoiding the contraversy. If a few more umpires had the guts like he does, our great game would be in a far better state than what it is today. It's a pity that he can't umpire Australia. I'd like to see him give it Punter. As great a player he is, and God knows i love him, but its about time he accepted the umpires decision and got on with the game and shut the hell up.
  14. Joined
    06 Nov '06
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 14:31
    Nice prediction. Did McGrath and Lee enjoy getting a pasting this morning?
    Nine days to go. Thats when McGrath & Lee will show England what a pasting is all about. I can't wait!!!!!! THE most anticipated series in the history of the world is almost upon us.
    Regardless of the result and which way it goes, for the sake of World Cricket, I hope that it is keenly fought and goes down to the wire. As a cricket lover, I couln't think of a better place to be over the next couple of months! I've got my tickets!!!
  15. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Nov '06 14:59
    Originally posted by Sportking
    There is a couple of things to consider while bad mouthing Darryl Hair. 1) he called Murali for chucking. The only ump with the balls to do so.
    Yep, the only umpire with the balls to do so after it was proved his action is legal. The only umpire to call a side for cheating without evidence. His problem is his ego - once he's made up his mind nothing else matters - evidence, the game of cricket, etc.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree