The Best Running Back ever

The Best Running Back ever

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
17 Jun 07

Originally posted by searcy1977
Barry Sanders was fun to watch but he danced around for losses too much. I'd take Walter Payton. The new LT is amazing as well.
yeah do you ever think reggie bush will be up there

Harvestor of Sorrow

knee deep in shit

Moves
19 Jun 07

I'll give the 'crown' to Walter Payton.

Honorable Mentions:
Emmit Smith
John Brown (averaged 5 yards per carry every time he touched the ball!)
Eric Dickerson
Earl Cambell (arguably the hardest hitting RB of all time...running over Jack Lambert of Steelers was one of the classic moments ever...)

r

cleveland ohio

Moves
19 Jun 07

Originally posted by searcy1977
Barry Sanders was fun to watch but he danced around for losses too much. I'd take Walter Payton. The new LT is amazing as well.
Jim Brown is the best ever!

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
25 Apr 09

Originally posted by LivingForJesus
yeah do you ever think reggie bush will be up there
Not a prayer!!!

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
25 Apr 09
2 edits

Originally posted by S h a n e
I'll give the 'crown' to Walter Payton.

Honorable Mentions:
Emmit Smith
John Brown (averaged 5 yards per carry every time he touched the ball!)
Eric Dickerson
Earl Cambell (arguably the hardest hitting RB of all time...running over Jack Lambert of Steelers was one of the classic moments ever...)
Indeed...the Oiler Cannonball was the greatest RB. He put hits on Jack Lambert, Jack Tatum & Isiah Robertson that were among the fiercest hits ever. Robertson went from being a perennial All Pro linebacker to a role player after the Campbell hit. Look it up. I saw Earl gain an additional 11 yards with 9 defenders hanging on him.

Hook'em Earl!!!

Insanity at Masada

tinyurl.com/mw7txe34

Moves
27 Apr 09

Originally posted by darvlay
Nuh-uh!

Not this one: http://tinyurl.com/7d5q3
Which one is Jesus?

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
29 Apr 09
1 edit

Who do you think the best running back is ever?
Best I've seen (mid 80s forward) is Barry Sanders. On his good days no one, I mean no one, could tackle him in the open field; he was too slick.

The other great running backs I've seen are LaDanian Tomlinson, Eric Dickerson, Emmit Smith and Thurman Thomas (in that order of greatness, IMHO). But none of them are as great as Sanders was at his peak.

Payton's prime was little before my time.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
29 Apr 09

Originally posted by sh76
Best I've seen (mid 80s forward) is Barry Sanders. On his good days no one, I mean no one, could tackle him in the open field; he was too slick.

The other great running backs I've seen are LaDanian Tomlinson, Eric Dickerson, Emmit Smith and Thurman Thomas (in that order of greatness, IMHO). But none of them are as great as Sanders was at his peak.

Payton's prime was little before my time.
You must have slept through Earl Campbell then. Earl didn't make them miss, he made them WANT to miss!!

Civis Americanus Sum

New York

Moves
29 Apr 09
1 edit

Originally posted by shortcircuit
You must have slept through Earl Campbell then. Earl didn't make them miss, he made them WANT to miss!!
Campbell was before my time. I became a fan in 1985. He was just about done by then.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
29 Apr 09

Originally posted by sh76
Campbell was before my time. I became a fan in 1985. He was just about done by then.
Go back and check him out. He may just change your mind. He took a ton of punishment and dished out a ton as well. Ask Jack Lambert, Isiah Robertson and Jack Tatum. Check out the infamous Monday Night Football effort against the Miami Dolphins. Earl was the man!!

a

Moves
30 Apr 09

Jesus wouldn't have been a running back; he'd be a goalie.

j

Moves
30 Apr 09

Marcus Allen of the Raiders

s

6yd box

Moves
01 May 09
1 edit

Who do you think the best running back is ever?
Barry Sanders

Others who are worth a mention
Jim Brown
John Riggins-redskins

Running backs who may not be 'greats' put older fans may remember:
DJ Doizer- great name!
Sammy Winder-denver
Tom Rathman- best full back i have seen!
Mike Allstop- on his day- awosome!
Curt Warner- No not the QB!!! but the Seahawks running back for a couple of seasons in the mid-80s who had two unbeleivable seasons

E

Moves
02 May 09

Jim Brown played at a time when most of the league was white. He was playing against inferior athletes.

Earl Campbell was the most impressive running back I've ever seen. When Earl Campbell ran right through Randy White I just hung my head in shame and disbelief.

But I don't remember seeing Earl as part of a passing attack, either catching passes out of the backfield or blocking. I just remember that he got the ball 40 times a game and pounded people. It was a different offense back then.

master of disaster

funny farm

Moves
02 May 09

Originally posted by spurs73
Barry Sanders

Others who are worth a mention
Jim Brown
John Riggins-redskins

Running backs who may not be 'greats' put older fans may remember:
DJ Doizer- great name!
Sammy Winder-denver
Tom Rathman- best full back i have seen!
Mike Allstop- on his day- awosome!
Curt Warner- No not the QB!!! but the Seahawks running back for a couple of seasons in the mid-80s who had two unbeleivable seasons
Your bottom 5 are all jokes when you are talking about greatest RB's of all time.

Barry Sanders and Jim Brown are solid choices. Riggins is Waaaaay down the list.

How you can omit Earl Campbell and several others who dwarfed the performances of most of your choices is beyond me.