1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 18:02
    great game with liverpool and arsenal the other night, isnt it fair to say its the greatest football competition in the world?

put it another way, if a top team like man u, liverpool or barcelona played brazil or germany, who would win..?
  2. Shanghai
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 19:22
    Germany or Brazil I think. I personally think the Champions league is not as good as the old european competitions. When I was younger I used to cheer on Englands representatives (usually Liverpool but occasionally notts forest and Villa). Despite being a Chelsea fan it was good to see English teams dominating. There were 3 good competitions (except for the daft away goals rule). My favourite European memory is still Vialli showing how to play in 6 foot of snow.

You may get more top teams playing now but all it does is create a "big 4, or a massive 1 in some leagues. In many ways the new system is killing the game. Best league in the world, The Championship, thats where all the excitement is.
  3. SubscriberHelder Octavio Borges
    Luso-brasileiro
    Cajamar, SP
    Moves
    10 Apr '08 22:12
    In an empirical study (I don´t have stats about it), national teams lose against club teams. Club teams have enthusiasm, motivation and busine$$ to defend; National/professional teams don´t have. You can see motivation in national teams when they defend their countries, for example: African teams, Asian teams, Central American teams. They present spectacular games today, like Brazil presented in his 50s, 60s, and 70s.

Brazil and Germany would lose all games against Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U or Barcelona, today.
  4. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    11 Apr '08 12:47
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    In an empirical study (I don´t have stats about it), national teams lose against club teams. Club teams have enthusiasm, motivation and busine$$ to defend; National/professional teams don´t have. You can see motivation in national teams when they defend their countries, for example: African teams, Asian teams, Central American teams. They present spec ...[text shortened]...
    Brazil and Germany would lose all games against Liverpool, Chelsea, Man U or Barcelona, today.
    Top European club sides would more often than not beat top international sides. They train together more often, play together more often, have an established "home" which they play at more often, have game plans that they play out more often and (in the case of say ManU and Germany) have better players.
  5. Bramall Lane
    Moves
    11 Apr '08 15:09
    Originally posted by Helder Octavio
    [b]In an empirical study
    Jees....

Where's my dictionary?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree