1. all at sea
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 17:23
    It is that time of year again when the Celts gird their loins to crush the English, the Italians almost win away from home and the French play brilliantly or pathetically - and it is not until half time that you know which.

The 6 Nations championship is upon us. What are predictions? What do you think of the team selections?

Being an ardent English fan I always go with my heart and believe that if England remember how to win - and home games against Scotland then Italy might just do it - then they can cause problems for anybody - and I predict England to top the championship, but no Grand Slam this year.

The English forwards are always a handful - and with Vickery and Grewcock they have leadership and nastiness that has been missing.

If JW and Farrell can get the back line moving then we could be onto something - it would be nice to have a backline that just looked like scoring once in a while.

I hope Italy win a couple of games (though not against the English please!😉

The Irish start as favourites but have never worn that tag well but at their borrowed home (Croke Park) with the larger crowd it will be an intimidating place to visit.

The French need to be strong going into the WC on home turf.

I look forward to it eagerly
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 17:47
    Somehow I thought this would be thread regarding the Houdenosaunee.
  3. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 18:14
    Originally posted by Mat Kelley
    It is that time of year again when the Celts gird their loins to crush the English, the Italians almost win away from home and the French play brilliantly or pathetically - and it is not until half time that you know which.

The 6 Nations championship is upon us. What are predictions? What do you think of the team selections?

Being an ardent English ...[text shortened]...

The French need to be strong going into the WC on home turf.

I look forward to it eagerly
    Well done Mat, you managed to name all but one of the teams playing in the championship. Forgot about Wales did you? Not worth a mention?

Of course you expect to top the championship - you're English! Have you forgotten about the England teams current form? You lost to Argentina AT HOME only a few months ago. You're right about the Grand Slam though - you won't be winning it.

Grewcock will certainly add "nastiness", who can forget his kung fu kick on Dwayne Peel? However the brainless idiot will no doubt spend at least 2 spells in the sin bin during the championship costing England valuable points.

As good as little Johnny is, he hasn't played international rugby for 3 and a half years! In fact he's completed less than 15 matches in that time! Farrell could be a decent player, but I don't know if he's ready. I think the selection of these 2 smacks of wishful thinking.

I also look forward to it eagerly and predict that we'll stick your effin chariot up your arse on March 17th.
  4. all at sea
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 18:551 edit
    Apologies for missing out Wales but I really didn't know what to say - suffering from injury problems players coming back but playing out of position Henson for example. I did qualify my statement on England with going with heart as opposed to my head. Name me a successful team who hasn't got a nasty player, you need it and England have missed it. I was told by an ex England coach you can play hard or you can play dirty the difference being caught! If England win their first two games Wales game will be interesting, and by the way Wales don't exactly have a great record against Argentina themselves.

Anyhow I did not want this to get into "fight" just interested in how you think it will go
  5. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    30 Jan '07 20:14
    I'd say it's pretty open. Ireland have got France and England at home, so I'd probably make them favourites, especially if they can manage a win against Wales in their opening match. France have got to play Ireland and England away (and not withstanding Argentina I'd expect England to be difficult to beat at Twickenham). And I don't expect Wales and England to be consistent enough (or Scotland and Italy good enough).
  6. Standard memberBobson 94
    Fleeting Member
    Lisburn, UK
    Moves
    01 Feb '07 10:56
    With home ties with France/England, if Ireland can get the right result in Cardiff, they've should have it in the bag 😉

I wonder what the reception will be for 'God save the Queen' in Croke Park? A truly historic matchup in the making there.

Wales look dangerous, they should make the top 3. France are the team to beat though. If the English get it right, they could win the whole thing, but I don't see it happening. 4th for them - a team that is less than the sum of its parts.

Wooden spoon for the Italians. (Perhaps the least fanciful thing I've ever put into writing)
  7. Swansea
    Moves
    03 Feb '07 11:00
    Good luck to all nations as the tournament starts today!!

I predict that Ireland will win it with France 2nd and Wales 3rd.
    England still aren't ready for wins yet and Scotland will fade in the last parts of the games costing them points, Italians are getting better every year but still not as good as the rest I'm afraid, maybe they need a couple more New Zealanders 😉
  8. Joined
    22 May '06
    Moves
    03 Feb '07 21:10
    Originally posted by ExpressiveOutburst
    Good luck to all nations as the tournament starts today!!

I predict that Ireland will win it with France 2nd and Wales 3rd.
    England still aren't ready for wins yet and Scotland will fade in the last parts of the games costing them points, Italians are getting better every year but still not as good as the rest I'm afraid, maybe they need a couple more New Zealanders 😉
    England looked GOOD againt a avg. Scotland team. I say..
    1) Irland
    2)England
    3)France
    4)wales
    5)Italia
    6)scotland
  9. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 10:581 edit
    England did indeed look good yesterday but Scotland are not the toughest of opposition at Twickers. I thought the score was slightly flattering by about 7 points. (Wilko's try???)

I think Ire v Fra is probably going to be the decisive game of the tournament. France have the ability to run the Irish ragged but then you never know with them.

1. Fra
    2. Ire
    =3. Wal
    =3. Eng
    5. Sco
    6. Ita
  10. Standard membermillerman
    Y.N.W.A
    Athens
    Moves
    04 Feb '07 12:041 edit
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    I also look forward to it eagerly and predict that we'll stick your effin chariot up your arse on March 17th.
    Easy there tiger,

It's only a game afterall

Swing low, sweet chariot
    Coming for to carry me home
    Swing low, sweet chariot

I looked over Jordan and what did I see
    A band of angels coming after me

Swing low, sweet chariot
    Swing low, sweet chariot

If you get there before I do
    Tell all my friends I'm coming too

Swing low, sweet chariot
    Swing low, sweet chariot

Sometimes I'm up and sometimes I'm down
    But still my soul feels heavenly bound

Swing low, sweet chariot
    Swing low, sweet chariot
    Coming for to carry me

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

Edit- C'mon Engurland
  11. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 16:37
    (Wilko's try???)
    didn't anyone else clearly see his foot in touch??

in any case, we were distinctly poor and your man was back in glorious form. still and all, no need for the lenghty rendition above. 😛
  12. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 19:20
    Predictions for this weekend

England v Italy (England by 25-30 points)
    Scotland v Wales (Wales by 7-10 points)
    Ireland v France (France by 1-5 points)

anyone else?
  13. Joined
    03 May '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 21:09
    Predictions for this weekend

England v Italy (England by 25-30 points)
    Scotland v Wales (Wales by 7-10 points)
    Ireland v France (France by 1-5 points)

anyone else?
    i'd give:
    Ireland the edge over France, if O'driscoll's ok;
    A cricket score for the English;
    and, (what the hey) Scotland for a last gasp try victory.
  14. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    06 Feb '07 23:001 edit
    Originally posted by millerman
    Easy there tiger,

It's only a game afterall

Swing low, sweet chariot
    Swing low, sweet chariot

I looked over Jordan and what did I see
    A band of angels coming after me

Swing low, sweet chariot
    wing low, sweet chariot
    Coming for to carry me

🙂🙂🙂🙂🙂

Edit- C'mon Engurland
    Ah, the slavery song that rugby fans started singing to celebrate a hat-trick by England's first black player, Chris Oti.

And people wonder why so many English people don't support the national rugby team...
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Feb '07 01:54
    I think Ire v Fra is probably going to be the decisive game of the tournament. France have the ability to run the Irish ragged but then you never know with them.

1. Fra
    2. Ire
    =3. Wal
    =3. Eng
    5. Sco
    6. Ita
    yep, we never beat france. playing at croke park won't help either. yeah, another season with the favorites tag only to see someone else (italy 😛) left the trophy :'(

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree