1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 21:04
    Originally posted by uzless
    Fixed!
    steroids would have about as much use for a cyclist than the new york times financial section would have to an illiterate vietnamese prostitute.

plus cycling is cleaner now than it has been for years.
  2. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 01:09
    Originally posted by trev33
    steroids would have about as much use for a cyclist than the new york times financial section would have to an illiterate vietnamese prostitute.

Have you forgotten about Floyd Landis?
  3. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 09:031 edit
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    Have you forgotten about Floyd Landis?
    Growth hormone, synthetic testosterone, EPO != steroids
  4. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 12:27
    Originally posted by mtthw
    they're not steroids.
  5. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 14:052 edits

You make the assumption that the only reason why an athlete would use steroids (and other anabolic drugs) is to make their muscles bigger.

A major use of steroids et al is to allow muscles to recover faster from "wear & tear" -- which would allow an athlete to do more hard workouts without breaking down. This would be especially useful for anyone competing in an endurance event or trying to get through a long grueling season.
  6. Joined
    15 Oct '06
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 17:09
    Originally posted by mtthw
    What's your source for this information? Everything I've found indicates that "synthetic testosterone" is considered a steroid.
  7. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    14 Jul '10 18:26
    Originally posted by ThinkOfOne
    What's your source for this information? Everything I've found indicates that "synthetic testosterone" is considered a steroid.
    You know, you're probably right! 🙂

Doing a bit more research, it does look like steroid abuse has been a problem in cycling, although more recently it's been things like EPO that have had a higher profile.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 20:09
    best tour in years.
  9. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 23:15
    best tour in years.
    Quite exciting indeed. Not so sure if not waiting for Schleck (when Schleck's bycicle chaine ran off) and even increasing speed was the best and fairest choice for Contador today...
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 18:57
    Originally posted by Aiko
    Quite exciting indeed. Not so sure if not waiting for Schleck (when Schleck's bycicle chaine ran off) and even increasing speed was the best and fairest choice for Contador today...
    i don't know, i'm torn... on the one had i want schleck to win the tour but on the other he did attack, was unlucky and it is a race so i don't blame contador for attacking. what i didn't like was him saying after the race that he didn't see schleck had problems when he clearly did and later changed what he said. just come out and say what he did, i'd be fine with that.
  11. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 15:12

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 15:14
    best tour in years.
    I dissagree. It's been almost insufferable to see mountain after mountain wasted with no effort to attack by any of the favorites. Yesterday started out great with lots of people going away in a breakaway, but after the second cat. 1 it all stopped and they rode leisurely in.

The way A. Schleck and Saxo Bank have been riding, I really hope Contador wins. B. Riis defensive and boring tactics doesn't even deserve a place on the podium.

This tour have had the potential for a real exciting battle between (at least) two top athletes, but instead it's been long ride to nowhere. The only exciting parts of the whole tour is F. Schlecks injury and A. Schlecks technical fault.

What a waste of time!
  13. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 15:482 edits
    Originally posted by Lundos
    I dissagree. It's been almost insufferable to see mountain after mountain wasted with no effort to attack by any of the favorites. Yesterday started out great with lots of people going away in a breakaway, but after the second cat. 1 it all stopped and they rode leisurely in.

The way A. Schleck and Saxo Bank have been riding, I really hope Contador wins. e whole tour is F. Schlecks injury and A. Schlecks technical fault.

What a waste of time!
    this is what happens when it becomes a two-horse race a week or so into the event. If neither of the two horses feels like stepping up, you get boring results -- since no one is going to care much about attacks from any of the non-horses.

Now if there are five or six horses in the fray, chances are good that on any given day, one of them will feel good and launch an attack - and the other horses will have to respond.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 16:37
    Originally posted by Lundos

The way A. Schleck and Saxo Bank have been riding, I really hope Contador wins. ...[text shortened]... e whole tour is F. Schlecks injury and A. Schlecks technical fault.

What a waste of time!
    so for you the whole quality of the race is depended on a few attacks by the favourites? there's more going on in the race than waiting to see if the favourites attack each other in the mountain stages. btw there was never going to be an attack by schleck or contador yesterday, would you have with 60km on the flat/descent after the final climb? i don't think so.

other than the young riders all the jerseys are up for grabs on the last few days, can't ask for anything more than that.
  15. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 17:331 edit
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    this is what happens when it becomes a two-horse race a week or so into the event. If neither of the two horses feels like stepping up, you get boring results -- since no one is going to care much about attacks from any of the non-horses.
    Menchov is still one of the horses, although it all depends on the time trial on Saturday. He can still leap up ...[text shortened]... d spot, and with some luck for him and bad luck for Contador, he might take the first spot. Might...

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree