1. Standard memberLundos
    Back to basics
    About
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 14:38
    So another year and another Contador vs Schleck battle. Is Andy ready for the throne and is Contador too tired after the Giro? Or will it be business as usual for the Spanish cycling machine?

At least there are a few things different this year. Both Andy and Contador changed teams. Andy now rides for the new Leopold Trek team and will fight against his old boss, Bjarne Riis, who, in reponse to Andy's abandonment, chose to get Contador as his new team captain. Will Andy's knowledge of Riis' strategy give an extra edge?

And who will win the green, mountain and youth jerseys this year?
  2. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 20:09
    Originally posted by Lundos
    So another year and another Contador vs Schleck battle. Is Andy ready for the throne and is Contador too tired after the Giro? Or will it be business as usual for the Spanish cycling machine?

At least there are a few things different this year. Both Andy and Contador changed teams. Andy now rides for the new Leopold Trek team and will fight against his old ...[text shortened]... tegy give an extra edge?

Who cares? Lance Armstrong is not there.
  3. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    02 Jul '11 20:11

At least there are a few things different this year. Both Andy and Contador changed teams. Andy now rides for the new Leopold Trek team and will fight against his old ...[text shortened]... tegy give an extra edge?

Wrong name...it should be called the Dope de France!😀
  4. Joined
    14 May '03
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 08:39

Sclheck will beat Contador and then Contador will be found guilty for his doping last year which will mean Schleck wins back to back.

Next year he will then support his older brother to get him across the line first in 2012.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    03 Jul '11 23:51
    Originally posted by bill718
    Wrong name...it should be called the Dope de France!😀
    Oh, are you riding in it this year?? 😛
  6. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 11:401 edit
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Who cares? Lance Armstrong is not there.
    So? Why is a USAnian drug addict more interesting than a Spanish or Luxemburgish one? Geez, I'm Dutch - if I want to see a bunch of dopeheads cycling in a row I don't have to turn to the Tour, I can just hop on the train to Amsterdam...

Richard
  7. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 16:09
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    So? Why is a USAnian drug addict more interesting than a Spanish or Luxemburgish one? Geez, I'm Dutch - if I want to see a bunch of dopeheads cycling in a row I don't have to turn to the Tour, I can just hop on the train to Amsterdam...

Richard
    Well, now you have a choice at least!!
  8. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 17:11
    what about Bradley Wiggens , is he worth a bet at 40/1?
  9. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    04 Jul '11 21:14
    Shortcircuit, don't you have other places that you could troll?

Great to see Farrar get a stage win today. Weird that Cavendish sort of disintegrated like that. Very weird.

I'm happy to see Garmin win a couple of stages. They've been a good team over the past few years.

I'm even happier to see Schleck up a minute and a half on Contador!!! I'm really hoping Andy can win it this year. He's a class act.
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jul '11 17:46
    Originally posted by MrHand

Great to see Farrar get a stage win today. Weird that Cavendish sort of disintegrated like that. Very weird.

I'm happy to see Garmin win a couple of stages. They've been a good team over the past few years.

I'm even happier to see Schleck up a minute and a half on Contador!!! I'm really hoping Andy can win it this year. He's a class act.
    I have a question: If someone is banned for drugs and he won last year, does he have to return his winnings? Can't he just say, sue me?
  11. Standard memberQuirke
    Racing Ralph
    53x11
    Moves
    07 Jul '11 19:57

So far Contador looks out of sorts - lots of small mental errors. Getting caught out in the crashes, not looking overly strong on his attack two days ago, etc. We will see in the mountains.

The Giro made a mistake with so many summit finishes after very steep (15%+) climbs. That made for only one winner, Alberto. Clearly his doped, er, I mean beefed, up body was the strongest on those types of finishes, and by repeating them over and over, he won riding away. The TdF will be a different story.

btw, this has been one of the most interesting 1st weeks of the tour. No prologue and uphill finishes mixed in with sprint stages. Much more interesting than the usual first week of nothing but sprints. Good to see the classics riders having an impact.
  12. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    08 Jul '11 01:131 edit
    Originally posted by MrHand

Cavendish has changed his natural game, chasing all the sprint stages really isn't his forte but if that's what it takes to win the green jersey then me must persist...it's a shame as it could take away from his blistering finishes longer term...no, it's not a case of 'could' it appears to fundamentally interfered with him but maybe that's an unfair comment that we can hold over only until he's truly set up on more favourable stages ..the team want green success and that success has been decided not so definitively as stage wins only.. there are millions of us just waiting anxiously to witness that first blistering final 1k pace.
    Oh yes, to Sky pro cycling, a big 'Chapeau!' 🙂
  13. Standard memberRevRSleeker
    CerebrallyChallenged
    Lyme BayChesil Beach
    Moves
    08 Jul '11 03:45
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    Cavendish has changed his natural game, chasing all the sprint stages really isn't his forte but if that's what it takes to win the green jersey then me must persist...it's a shame as it could take away from his blistering finishes longer term...no, it's not a case of 'could' it appears to fundamentally interfered with him but maybe that's an unfair comm ...[text shortened]... that first blistering final 1k pace.
    Oh yes, to Sky pro cycling, a big 'Chapeau!' 🙂
    I wanted to ask, does the best sprinter win green each year ?? Looking back over the years, not always...
    The expert of the intermediate sprints wins the green jersey, it's a shame as everybody knows the best sprinter in the world is having to change his natural game..it's the teams fault for not accepting stage wins over the jersey but the sponsors no doubt will push for anything to put their name up in the lights at the end of the tour...something they can throw on their merchandise, one of the big jerseys.
    Cavendish will excel at some point soon, on stages that are more suitable but I can't help but think he's ( the team ) targeting too much this year..??
  14. Joined
    06 Apr '11
    Moves
    08 Jul '11 14:22
    Originally posted by RevRSleeker
    I wanted to ask, does the best sprinter win green each year ?? Looking back over the years, not always...
    The expert of the intermediate sprints wins the green jersey, it's a shame as everybody knows the best sprinter in the world is having to change his natural game..it's the teams fault for not accepting stage wins over the jersey but the sponsors no ...[text shortened]... more suitable but I can't help but think he's ( the team ) targeting too much this year..??
    In theory no, normally you could be the best sprinter (chippo) but have no chance at winning the green. If your a good sprinter but can climb the big mountains (Zabel, O'grady) then you have a good chance at winning green. This year though the intermediate sprints play a more important role for the overall green as a new points structure has been put in place.
    Personaly if Contador can put the pending appeals behind him then he should be favourite to win. If Wiggins can stay very close in the mountains then he has a great chance in taking yellow at the time trail.
    Never rule out the Schleck brothers but they would need a good time gap going into TT, same goes with Gesink, he would probably need 2-3mins lead in the mountains to stand a chance. Keep an eye out for young Geraint Thomas,one for the future.
    1st Contador
    2nd Wiggins
    3rd A,Schleck
  15. Joined
    06 Apr '11
    Moves
    08 Jul '11 15:23
    Forget Wiggo, he's just crashed, potential broken collar bone. Race over for him

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree