1. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    30 May '11 18:45
    Guess the fire got too hot for him.

It will be interesting to see the reception Terrel Pryor gets when he returns from his 5 game suspension.
    Fortunately, it will be an away game....at Lincoln, Nebraska.
  2. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 03:012 edits
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Guess the fire got too hot for him.

It will be interesting to see the reception Terrel Pryor gets when he returns from his 5 game suspension.
    Fortunately, it will be an away game....at Lincoln, Nebraska.
    Being an OSU fan I have to say, this is one of the saddest days in OSU football history. Simply put, Tressel was the best coach since Woody Hayes. He elevated the program farther than anyone else ever has, and probably ever will.

Now the stradegy should be obvious for OSU. Just hire some private detectives, get some dirt on rival programs, and then have lawyers send e-mails to the coaches informing them of the players "transgressions" with a side note telling them not to discuss this with anyone because it is under investigation. Then sit back and watch the hilarity begin. My guess is they could bring down pretty much every major program in the NCAA and the playing field will be even again.

Speaking of the NCAA, why did they let those players play in the Sugar Bowl again? Didn't they know all this before the game was played? Oh, that's right, the NCAA wanted to USE those players to bolster their ratings, then throw them under the bus along with the coach the following year. In the meantime, God forbid if any of the players makes so much as a penny on the side. In fact, God forbid they make a penny from just signing an autograph.

As far as TP goes, the guy is brain dead. He probaly thinks Tressel will be back next year and is just sitting out this year.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    31 May '11 04:40
    Originally posted by whodey
    Being an OSU fan I have to say, this is one of the saddest days in OSU football history. Simply put, Tressel was the best coach since Woody Hayes. He elevated the program farther than anyone else ever has, and probably ever will.

Now the stradegy should be obvious for OSU. Just hire some private detectives, get some dirt on rival programs, and then have ...[text shortened]... n dead. He probaly thinks Tressel will be back next year and is just sitting out this year.
    No, you run a clean program then there is no dirt to find.

What screwed him was he knew about what had happened and he did nothing.
    He didn't report them, he didn't suspend them.
    He knows that, and that is why they are coming after him.
  4. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 12:361 edit
    No, you run a clean program then there is no dirt to find.

What screwed him was he knew about what had happened and he did nothing.
    He didn't report them, he didn't suspend them.
    He knows that, and that is why they are coming after him.
    Trust me, this kind of thing goes on everywhere.....or do you think some run "clean" programs? Face it, players get special perks all across the NCAA. I would say that most perks come in the form of academic favors.

Of course, just ignore the hypocrisy of the NCAA who knew about the violations before last years Sugar Bowl. They simply use the players, who usually are poor and scrap to get by, as slave labor for their massive money machine.

In short, the NCAA proved to me what its all about. Its about money and control, not about "playing by the rules".
  5. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    31 May '11 13:201 edit
    Trust me, this kind of thing goes on everywhere.....or do you think some run "clean" programs? Face it, players get special perks all across the NCAA. I would say that most perks come in the form of academic favors.

Of course, just ignore the hypocrisy of the NCAA who knew about the violations before last years Sugar Bowl. They simply use the players, w ...[text shortened]... ed to me what its all about. Its about money and control, not about "playing by the rules".
    The idea that everyone cheats and therefore it is OK, is both factual false and intellectually stupid.

Tressel has been cheating since his days at Youngstown State.
    Foxsports on Friday outlined how these sort of allegations started at Youngstown State and how Tressel refused to investigate.
    Tressel was given a complete pass with Clarett when Clarrett said all of these things were going on because Clarett wasn't of high characher either. Tressell allows players to circumvent rules, lied to the NCAA in a sworn affidavit about cheating, lied to the athletic director about compliance issues and lied multiple times in press conference about his involvement. Then Small admits he cheated when he was on Ohio State but it was not a big deal because everyone was cheating. The response wasn't even a denial it was "your no longer part of the Ohio State fraternity" Which to me means that Ohio State thinks its Ok to cheat but make sure you keep everything "in house"
    Ohio State should not have been permitted to play in last years bowl game as the involvement was known before the game and Tressel should not have been able to use the incident to force players who were allowed to play in the bowl game to promise to come back to Ohio State this year.
    I cannot belive it actually took this long for him to get fired. If this does not get you fired, I am just not sure what level of cheating will.
  6. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    31 May '11 14:49

Of course, just ignore the hypocrisy of the NCAA who knew about the violations before last years Sugar Bowl. They simply use the players, w ...[text shortened]... ed to me what its all about. Its about money and control, not about "playing by the rules".
    Trust you??? You NEVER played any sports in college.
    You are not on the inside for knowledge at any college.
    What the hell do YOU think you know???

The line of crap that athletes get all of the "special perks" especially "academic ones"
    shows your ignorance.

Yes, I am sure there are many rules bent, and favors given at many universities.
    That is why coaches that allow it to happen get canned (like Tressel).

Look at the universities and the coaches with track records of cheating, and they probably do cheat.
    But to categorically denounce all of them as cheats shows your ignorance.

I played sports in college. I was never given ANY "special favors"
    I made the Dean's list every semester in school as well.
    I got out with one degree and was 9 hours short of a second degree.
    There are many just like me too who were clean and did their classwork.
    It is tiresome listening to idiots who lump all athletes together as "dumb jocks".
    Don't get me wrong. There are some who are dumb as a stump....SOME.

Your sour grapes that your Buckeyes got caught, does not incriminate everyone else.
  7. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 19:481 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The idea that everyone cheats and therefore it is OK, is both factual false and intellectually stupid.

Tressel has been cheating since his days at Youngstown State.
    Foxsports on Friday outlined how these sort of allegations started at Youngstown State and how Tressel refused to investigate.
    Tressel was given a complete pass with Clarett when Clarrett get fired. If this does not get you fired, I am just not sure what level of cheating will.
    Did I say that its OK to cheat since everyone else does? No. It's like taking steriods. Those that do are more competitive and those that don't...well....they can sit back and watch the playoffs from a nice comfortable chair and cold beverage of their choice.

As for Clarrett, he has no credibility. Do you even know anything about his past? As for Small, he was mad at Tressel for not playing him more. In fact, Small's father said that Tressel cost his son a promising NFL career because Tressel did not play him enough so that everyone could see his son's "greatness". And even if Small's accusations were true, why come out now? It is obvious what his motivations were.
  8. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 19:521 edit
    I played sports in college. I was never given ANY "special favors"
    Er...um....I am talking about athletes who have promising professional careers in athletics after college, not your average run of the mill jock. For the later, they are expendable.
  9. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    31 May '11 19:59
    Er...um....I am talking about athletes who have promising professional careers in athletics after college, not your average run of the mill jock. For the later, they are expendable.
    You are an absolute joke.

You are an armchair observer feigning knowledge that you simply haven't got.
    Fickle fans are expendable.

Here is something they probably never taught you in fan school.
    There is no "I" in the word TEAM

Now tell me who is expendable again?
  10. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    31 May '11 21:15
    Every top program has its dirt. It goes hand in hand with being a winning coach. If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying hard enough.

The older I get, the more I believe this is true. I'd rather play it right than go dirty.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    31 May '11 21:28
    You are an absolute joke.

You are an armchair observer feigning knowledge that you simply haven't got.
    Fickle fans are expendable.

Here is something they probably never taught you in fan school.
    [b]There is no "I" in the word TEAM

Now tell me who is expendable again?[/b]
    Yes but there is an "I" in the word "WIN"
  12. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    31 May '11 21:311 edit
    Did I say that its OK to cheat since everyone else does? No. It's like taking steriods. Those that do are more competitive and those that don't...well....they can sit back and watch the playoffs from a nice comfortable chair and cold beverage of their choice.

As for Clarrett, he has no credibility. Do you even know anything about his past? As for Smal mall's accusations were true, why come out now? It is obvious what his motivations were.
    The fact that Tressel filled his program with characters as reputable as Clarett and Small certainly does not exonerate Tresell for his wrongdoings. The fact is they appeared to have spoken the truth about players being paid and Tresell and the rest of the University instead of investigating like they should have used it as an opportunity to furthur smear the reputation of the student athlete that they recruited. The SI article outlines a system of cheating that Tressel engage in at Youngstown state and continuing at Ohio State.

The idea that everyone has a coach who lies on affidavits and press conference and introduces star players to boosters (as the article indicates he did at Youngstown State) is simply false.
  13. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    31 May '11 23:19
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Yes but there is an "I" in the word "WIN"
    There is also and "I" in "Investigate" and in "fired"
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    31 May '11 23:21
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Every top program has its dirt. It goes hand in hand with being a winning coach. If you aren't cheating, you aren't trying hard enough.

The older I get, the more I believe this is true. I'd rather play it right than go dirty.
    I heard that Bob Stoops and Mark Stoops are both on a short list of potential replacements for Tressel.

They also mentioned Urban Meyer, but he said it wasn't going to happen this season, if at all.
  15. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    01 Jun '11 01:48
    Originally posted by quackquack
    The fact that Tressel filled his program with characters as reputable as Clarett and Small certainly does not exonerate Tresell for his wrongdoings. The fact is they appeared to have spoken the truth about players being paid and Tresell and the rest of the University instead of investigating like they should have used it as an opportunity to furthur sme ...[text shortened]... star players to boosters (as the article indicates he did at Youngstown State) is simply false.
    Should he ask them if they are all "good" Christians before recruiting them?

The fact is that coaches go out and try to find the best athletes they can and compete for them. Unfortunatly, most of these kids are from the streets and you feel good so long as they don't bring guns in the locker room and shoot the place up. To be honest, alot of these kids are just punks with few brain cells to work with for which TP is the poster child.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree