U.S.A. upset by Japan

U.S.A. upset by Japan

Sports

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

J

Moves
21 Aug 08

How is it the U.S.A. can be so dominant in international play and then lose to a team they have beaten twice in these Olympic games?

P

weedhopper

Moves
21 Aug 08

Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
How is it the U.S.A. can be so dominant in international play and then lose to a team they have beaten twice in these Olympic games?
Heart.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
21 Aug 08

What sport?

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
21 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by asromacalcio
What sport?
Google search says: Women's softball. Who cares.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
21 Aug 08
2 edits

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Not me, but it's indicative of a lot of the reason the USA have done relatively badly these games, complacency. I mean look at the 4x100 relay teams. I ask you, how many sportsmen come into major games not even having mastered the basic skill of the sport? It's OK to have a bad day because of pressure, or limited other reasons which lower performance levels a bit, but come on, they couldn't even get the baton round. I know it's easy for me to say, pity for the other athletes who did the job right.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
21 Aug 08

Apparently not many since this will be the last time for softball in the Olympics.

J

Moves
22 Aug 08

Originally posted by kirksey957
Apparently not many since this will be the last time for softball in the Olympics.
Well that is due to the fact that the U.S. has been so dominant that they wanna allow other teams to catch up. They may have lost the gold but they are the most dominant softball team in the world by outscoring their opponents by like 100+ runs to 6 runs in the last 2 Olympic games.

Outkast

With White Women

Moves
22 Aug 08

Originally posted by JohnLennonForever
Well that is due to the fact that the U.S. has been so dominant that they wanna allow other teams to catch up. They may have lost the gold but they are the most dominant softball team in the world by outscoring their opponents by like 100+ runs to 6 runs in the last 2 Olympic games.
I still think it is a better sport than BMX racing. Do you think if the Chinese dominate diving as they have done that they would eliminate diving as a sport in the games? Doesn't make any sense to me.

J

Moves
22 Aug 08

Originally posted by kirksey957
I still think it is a better sport than BMX racing. Do you think if the Chinese dominate diving as they have done that they would eliminate diving as a sport in the games? Doesn't make any sense to me.
But there are multiple events in diving that you can do whereas softball is only one. And I'm pretty sure they do not dominate so much that they win ever single gold in every single diving event whereas the U.S. softball has proven itself dominant in softball and virtually impossible to beat. Somehow however the Japanese managed to beat them which was a huge upset.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
22 Aug 08

Not me, but it's indicative of a lot of the reason the USA have done relatively badly these games, complacency. I mean look at the 4x100 relay teams. I ask you, how many sportsmen come into major games not even having mastered the basic skill of the sport? It's OK to have a bad day because of pressure, or limited other reasons which lower performance le ...[text shortened]... on round. I know it's easy for me to say, pity for the other athletes who did the job right.
A single dropped baton isn't sufficient to prove a lack of mastery. Even the most consistent of athletes can still choke under pressure.

c

Russ's Pocket

Moves
24 Aug 08

A single dropped baton isn't sufficient to prove a lack of mastery. Even the most consistent of athletes can still choke under pressure.
I disagree. A dropped baton is a dq. They didn't even finish the race. I would rather them lose a finised race then lack the fundamental skills required to finish.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
25 Aug 08
1 edit

Originally posted by cheshirecatstevens
I disagree. A dropped baton is a dq. They didn't even finish the race. I would rather them lose a finised race then lack the fundamental skills required to finish.
But it makes no sense to claim that one dropped baton indicates a lack of fundamental running skills, anymore than one double-fault on serve indicates a lack of tennis skill, or one strikeout in baseball indicates a lack of hitting skill, or one missed shot on goal indicates a lack of soccer skill.

asromacalcio

Almaty, Kazakhstan

Moves
26 Aug 08

But it makes no sense to claim that one dropped baton indicates a lack of fundamental running skills, anymore than one double-fault on serve indicates a lack of tennis skill, or one strikeout in baseball indicates a lack of hitting skill, or one missed shot on goal indicates a lack of soccer skill.
True, like Cristinano Ronaldo missing the penalty in the CL final doesn't mean he can't play, but in relay, there are TWO things you have to do, run, and pass the baton. If you can'd do HALF the event, you're not doing very well.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
26 Aug 08
1 edit

True, like Cristinano Ronaldo missing the penalty in the CL final doesn't mean he can't play, but in relay, there are TWO things you have to do, run, and pass the baton. If you can'd do HALF the event, you're not doing very well.
IIRC, they did 3/4 of the event. It was the last baton pass that went wrong. Saying that they 'can't do half the event' is misleading.

http://www.reuters.com/article/newsOne/idUSSP12477520080821

The US didn't choke alone, either. Defending medal winners Britain and Nigeria also screwed up baton passes. Perhaps the rain made passing more difficult?!

Edit: Why not make it more like swimming? [The next guy gets to go as soon as his teammate touches the wall.] Forget the baton. Just let the next runner go once his teammate enters the box. It's a running event; so keep the focus on the running as much as possible.

s

6yd box

Moves
26 Aug 08

have any of you guys ever run in a 4x100m relay team?

Well I have, many a times, and it is much harder then you all think.

Ok i admit that they should not have dropped the baton, but come on ONE MISTAKE..does not make them bad sprinters.