1. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 16:08
    Originally posted by Ullr
    Abysmal call by the ref. Oh well, still nice comeback by the US.
    That was beyond abysmal and rises to suspicion of match fixing and criminal incompetence.
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 16:15
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Why no free kick? You disagree with a free kick after Slovenia shoved USA player down? I'll tell you what should not have been called. The silly yellow cards, the bizarre fouls only ref saw and the fouls he failed to see. Refereeing is deteriorating.
    USA was robbed!
    i wouldn't disagree with a fee kick if the slovenja player had "shoved (the) usa player down" but he didn't... it was a harsh free kick that the usa guy clearly played for.

from what i saw the ref was shocking though... not as bad as the germany/serbia match or chile/honduras but bad.

the world cup, the best football players in the world... why not the best refs?
  3. Standard memberDaemon Sin
    I'm A Mighty Pirate™
    PaTROLLING the forum
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 16:18
    Originally posted by trev33
    i wouldn't disagree with a fee kick if the slovenja player had "shoved (the) usa player down" but he didn't... it was a harsh free kick that the usa guy clearly played for.

from what i saw the ref was shocking though... not as bad as the germany/serbia match or chile/honduras but bad.

I miss Pierluigi Collina. :'(
  4. Standard memberPalynka
    Upward Spiral
    Halfway
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 16:22
    Originally posted by Palynka
    I have a bet for 2-2 at 27:1 odds...

Go USA! Just one more... 😛
    Next up, Algeria 1 - 0 England at 37:1...

I mean, it's likely that I lose, but 37:1???
  5. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 16:32

The most obvious answers are "it is hard to see" and "pressure" but neither convinces. Are these professionals? I know the portuguese ref isn't, what about the others?
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 16:38
    Originally posted by orion25
    The most obvious answers are "it is hard to see" and "pressure" but neither convinces. Are these professionals? I know the portuguese ref isn't, what about the others?
    See you're coming around regarding bad refs. Germany gaem bordered on criminal negligence. USA was robbed as was Nigeria. Professionals? NOT!
  7. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 16:53
    See you're coming around regarding bad refs. Germany gaem bordered on criminal negligence. USA was robbed as was Nigeria. Professionals? NOT!
    There have always been bad referees, my question was really if these guys do it full time or not, not if they were as good as professionals.

Overall refereeing hasn't been horrible, but maybe that's just because I compare it to portuguese refereeing.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 17:08
    There have always been bad referees, my question was really if these guys do it full time or not, not if they were as good as professionals.

Overall refereeing hasn't been horrible, but maybe that's just because I compare it to portuguese refereeing.
    no, they're not all professionals but neither are all of the prem refs if by professional you mean their #1 source of income. i don't know the number and i'd expect there to be more pros now than ever before but not all of them.

question is, does being a pro make you a better ref? the dude that did the germany/serbia match was the ref in 5 cl games and (i think they said) 9 other internationals but he was one of the worse refs i've seen at the world cup. i don't know if he's a pro or not but he certainly has made a bit of money out of the game as a ref.
  9. Joined
    03 Jul '03
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 17:31
    the refereeing was INCREDIBLY bad in both games, especially the german contest. it really makes the sport look bad.
  10. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 17:49
    no, they're not all professionals but neither are all of the prem refs if by professional you mean their #1 source of income. i don't know the number and i'd expect there to be more pros now than ever before but not all of them.

question is, does being a pro make you a better ref? the dude that did the germany/serbia match was the ref in 5 cl games and (i ...[text shortened]... ow if he's a pro or not but he certainly has made a bit of money out of the game as a ref.
    Being a pro does, in fact, not make you a better ref. On the other hand, working on it full time does make it easier. A full time player is generally better prepared than a part-time player. Same thing.
  11. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 17:51

I think you earn the name professional by your expertise, not as to whether the profession is practiced full or part-time. The refs have been largely abysmal for the last two days other than the Swiss-Spaniard game.' Look at the Findley yellow card. The rule states you get yellow carded for a deliberate handball. Doyou call the handball? Absolutely! But yellow card an obvious glance off the head? That is abysmal reffing. Now Findley misses a crucial match. That may prove more costly than the called back goal. NO other sport gets officials injecting themselves into an outcome of a match or even a cup as soccer. Clean up of this mess is in order. Hope the bad calls don't happen to any team. I'm not approaching this as a Yank supporter. I want fair play for everyone.
  12. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 18:35
    I think you earn the name professional by your expertise, not as to whether the profession is practiced full or part-time. The refs have been largely abysmal for the last two days other than the Swiss-Spaniard game.' Look at the Findley yellow card. The rule states you get yellow carded for a deliberate handball. Doyou call the handball? Absolutely! But ...[text shortened]... pen to any team. I'm not approaching this as a Yank supporter. I want fair play for everyone.
    I'm surprised I actually agree with you on this!
  13. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    18 Jun '10 23:49
    I'm surprised I actually agree with you on this!
    Why? It is sensible like everything else I post!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree