Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Sports Forum

Sports Forum

  1. 04 Jul '10 14:44
    Ok, that was silly.

    But Miroslav Klose has good chances of becomming the top scorer in the history of the World Cup. One more and he ties with Ronaldo. I really enjoy his style, mixing power, technique and excelent positioning. Probably one of the most underated players in today's football.

    Klose scored: 5 goals in 2002, 5 goals in 2006 (and the scoring title), 4 goals so far in 2010.

    List of top scorers:
    1. Ronaldo (Bra) - 15 goals
    2. Klose (Ger) & Gerd Miller (Ger) - 14 goals
    4. Just Fontaine (Fra) - 13 goals
    5. Pelé (Bra) - 12 goals
    6. Jurgen Klinsmann (Ger) & Sandor Kocsis (Hun) - 11 goals
    8. Lato (Pol) & Linecker (Eng) - 10 goals


    Plus, Klose has the chance of reaching another record: the first player to become top scorer in two editions of the World Cup.

    World Cup top scorers by edition:

    2006 Klose (Ger) - 05
    2002 Ronaldo (Bra) - 08
    1998 Sucker (Cro) - 06
    1994 Stoichkov (Bul) & Salenko (Rus) - 06
    1990 Schillaci (Ita) - 06
    1986 Lineker (Eng) - 06
    1982 Paolo Rossi (Ita) - 06
    1978 Kempes (Arg) - 06
    1974 Lato (Pol) - 07
    1970 Gerd Muller (Ger) - 10
    1966 Eusebio (Por) - 09
    1962 Jerkovic (Iug) - 05
    1958 Fontaine (Fra) - 13
    1954 Kocsis (Hun) - 11
    1950 Ademir (Bra) - 09
    1938 Leônidas (Bra) - 08
    1934 Schiavo (Ita), Nejedly (Tch) & Conen (Ger) - 04
    1930 Stabile (Arg) - 08
  2. 04 Jul '10 15:20
    If he breaks the record it will be richly deserved. He is impressive and has a real nose for goals.
  3. 05 Jul '10 16:18
    Well he has two games in which to do it. The game against spain and the finals/third place play off.
  4. 05 Jul '10 16:20
    Originally posted by arterioes
    Well he has two games in which to do it. The game against spain and the finals/third place play off.
    I hope he does it. Records were meant to be broken. If he does break Ronaldo's record it might stand for a long, long time!
  5. 10 Jul '10 21:05
    So Ronaldo still is the leading scorer. Klose didnt play and lost the opportunity to do it.

    Ronaldo's record is up at least for 4 more years.

    Unless Villa or Sneijder scores 10 goals tomorrow.
  6. 10 Jul '10 21:11
    Originally posted by monteirof
    So Ronaldo still is the leading scorer. Klose didnt play and lost the opportunity to do it.

    Ronaldo's record is up at least for 4 more years.

    Unless Villa or Sneijder scores 10 goals tomorrow.
    how many did villa get in 2006?
  7. 10 Jul '10 21:25
    Originally posted by trev33
    how many did villa get in 2006?
    Just checked: 3 goals in 2006. He has 8 so far. He'll be 32 in the next cup so he's a candidate to try to brake the record on 2014.
  8. 10 Jul '10 21:52
    Originally posted by monteirof
    Just checked: 3 goals in 2006. He has 8 so far. He'll be 32 in the next cup so he's a candidate to try to brake the record on 2014.
    no offense to klose but it would've been a shame for him to equal ronaldo's record. ronaldo is in a different class. muller hit 5 this yar and he's only 20... 11 more goals in 3 world cups, possible.
  9. 10 Jul '10 22:00
    Originally posted by trev33
    no offense to klose but it would've been a shame for him to equal ronaldo's record. ronaldo is in a different class. muller hit 5 this yar and he's only 20... 11 more goals in 3 world cups, possible.
    It wouldnt say "shame"... records dont need to be taken necessarily by the best player.

    You're right about Muller! he still have many cups ahead