3. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 23:41
    Originally posted by Mctayto
    Gordon Banks
    He was a good one.

Tonight we're going to party like its nineteen-sixty-six.
  4. Joined
    24 Apr '07
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 00:02
    Peter Schmeichel is certainly a strong contender!
  5. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 00:10
    I despise everything to do with England and it's football and yet I picked an english goal keeper. This has to tell you something about the quality of Gordon Banks.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 02:01
    I despise everything to do with England and it's football and yet I picked an english goal keeper. This has to tell you something about the quality of Gordon Banks.
    pat jennings 😉
  7. Joined
    19 Sep '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 06:22
    Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton were pretty good too!

My pick would be either Southall or Schmeichel though.
  8. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 09:07
    Well it wouldn't be an americn RN 🙄

Banks
    Shilton
    Clemence
    Schmeichel
    Jennings
    Wilson
    Cech
    Yashin
    Bonneti
    Seaman

And on and on and on before the usofa get a look in pal...
  9. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 10:25
    No, it tells us more about the resonance of THAT one famous clip of him making an instinctive save from a preposterously short range effort by Pele in 1974 or whenever it was.
  10. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 11:011 edit
    Originally posted by FMF
    No, it tells us more about the resonance of THAT one famous clip of him making an instinctive save from a preposterously short range effort by Pele in 1974 or whenever it was.
    Do you really think Mc potato has nominated Gordon Banks for THAT one save against Pele in the 1970 Mexico world cup ? You are sticking your oar in were you are out of your depth , you know diddly squat about football and you cannot even get the year correct !!!
  11. Standard memberTirau Dan
    Enjoying Life
    Tirau NZ
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 11:05
    Originally posted by Angry Boy
    Ray Clemence and Peter Shilton were pretty good too!

My pick would be either Southall or Schmeichel though.
    Banks.. the Cat was the best, Clemence & Shilton are all on record saying Banks was head and shoulders above the rest because he was not just a great reaction keeper but saw the game with clairvoyance.
    Schu had off days... Banks really never did until after his car accident
  12. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 11:28
    Originally posted by Tirau Dan
    Banks.. the Cat was the best, Clemence & Shilton are all on record saying Banks was head and shoulders above the rest because he was not just a great reaction keeper but saw the game with clairvoyance.
    Schu had off days... Banks really never did until after his car accident
    What about a great Scottish goalie ??? Ah well !! lets forget about that one 😉😉
  13. Joined
    28 Oct '05
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 11:331 edit
    Originally posted by phil3000
    Do you really think Mc potato has nominated Gordon Banks for THAT one save against Pele in the 1970 Mexico world cup ? You are sticking your oar in were you are out of your depth , you know diddly squat about football and you cannot even get the year correct !!!
    Couldn't remember the year, it's true. I was brought up on soccer and cricket and rugby. Depended on where I lived. Oldham Atheletic, Stockport, Burnley and Watford. Hertfordshire in the minor counties. Essex in 1st class cricket. London Irish and Wasps (my PE teacher played for them) in the rugby. Didn't care for League when I was kid. Took to it a bit when I lived in Australia. I am sorry you feel the personal animosity that you seem to.

My quip about "THAT one famous clip" is a reference that almost all fellow Britons of my age would understand. It meant no disrespect to Banks. Like just about every England supporter of my generation, he gets onto my top 5 list without a thought.
  14. Joined
    09 Jun '04
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 12:22
    Oliver Kahn

duh
  15. SubscriberMctayto
    Highlander
    Planet Earth
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 12:23
    Originally posted by FMF
    without a thought.
    Like most of your comments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree