1. Joined
    09 Oct '10
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 15:27
    Who is the best team? OU, Boise, Oregon, someone else?
  2. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '10 15:59
    Originally posted by theblindtiger
    Who is the best team? OU, Boise, Oregon, someone else?
    I think as time we goes on we have a better idea. If the season ended today I am not unhappy with the polls. I certainly think the SEC winner should also be considered.
  3. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 01:26
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I think as time we goes on we have a better idea. If the season ended today I am not unhappy with the polls. I certainly think the SEC winner should also be considered.
    My team order is Oregon, Auburn, Alabama, Mich St, Wisconsin. All the other drop off considerably. Honorable mention: Mizzou, Stanford, OSU, BSU, TCU.
  4. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 01:37
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    My team order is Oregon, Auburn, Alabama, Mich St, Wisconsin. All the other drop off considerably. Honorable mention: Mizzou, Stanford, OSU, BSU, TCU.
    Boise State would whip any team in the Little 10. Oregon "ducked" the Broncos this year after getting spanked by them two years in a row. A Boise State-SEC winner would be a great game for the BCS Championship.
  5. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 02:20
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Boise State would whip any team in the Little 10. Oregon "ducked" the Broncos this year after getting spanked by them two years in a row. A Boise State-SEC winner would be a great game for the BCS Championship.
    Other than Oregon and OU who else has BSU beaten? TCU? If the game were played next weekend you really think BSU could beat Oregon or Auburn or even Alabama? Perhaps it might be tight for a quarter and a half. If BSU beats Utah I might change my opinion, but not before. Just look at what Auburn did to the LSU D!
  6. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 02:47
    Other than Oregon and OU who else has BSU beaten? TCU? If the game were played next weekend you really think BSU could beat Oregon or Auburn or even Alabama? Perhaps it might be tight for a quarter and a half. If BSU beats Utah I might change my opinion, but not before. Just look at what Auburn did to the LSU D!
    Who's beaten them? They beat Oregon two years in a row and those were good teams; 10-3 and winners of the PAC-10 in 2009. This year they beat Virginia Tech which was ranked in the preseason Top 10 and is back in the top 25 and Oregon State, a good team which has played the toughest schedule in the country (including beating then unbeaten Arizona on the road) and is 4-3.

I've watched all the top teams and Boise matches up well with any of them. If they run it out (they still have some potentially tough games: against Hawaii's top ranked offense and against Top 25 Nevada on the road), I think they deserve their shot over any of the Big 10 or Big 12 teams.

BTW, Boise State doesn't play Utah; TCU does.
  7. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 03:37
    Who's beaten them? They beat Oregon two years in a row and those were good teams; 10-3 and winners of the PAC-10 in 2009. This year they beat Virginia Tech which was ranked in the preseason Top 10 and is back in the top 25 and Oregon State, a good team which has played the toughest schedule in the country (including beating then unbeaten Arizona on the r ...[text shortened]... the Big 10 or Big 12 teams.

BTW, Boise State doesn't play Utah; TCU does.
    Oops! You rested my case for me. So Boise State plays nothing but patsies and you feel they belong? I agree the big ten, other then Wiscnsin is questionable, but I doubt seriously BSU could beat any top three SEC team, not even Arkansas. I like TCU better, but admit lving next to Fort Worth biases me in theri favor. But seriously, Virginia Tech who lost to Madison is a quality win? Really!
  8. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 05:331 edit
    Oops! You rested my case for me. So Boise State plays nothing but patsies and you feel they belong? I agree the big ten, other then Wiscnsin is questionable, but I doubt seriously BSU could beat any top three SEC team, not even Arkansas. I like TCU better, but admit lving next to Fort Worth biases me in theri favor. But seriously, Virginia Tech who lost to Madison is a quality win? Really!
    They play who will play them outside their conference; as mentioned Oregon got sick of being beaten by them. VT may well win the ACC and are rated in the top 25; how can a win over them NOT be a quality win? And it was only two seasons ago that everybody assumed that SEC runnerup Alabama would have an easy time in their bowl game against mid major Utah, but they got physically manhandled and whipped.

Bring it on, I say.

EDIT: If Nevada and Hawaii are "patsies", how come Nevada us #24 in the Harris Poll and they both just missed the top 25 in the AP and Coaches Poll?
  9. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 11:341 edit
    They play who will play them outside their conference; as mentioned Oregon got sick of being beaten by them. VT may well win the ACC and are rated in the top 25; how can a win over them NOT be a quality win? And it was only two seasons ago that everybody assumed that SEC runnerup Alabama would have an easy time in their bowl game against mid major Utah, ada us #24 in the Harris Poll and they both just missed the top 25 in the AP and Coaches Poll?
    I'll concede it was a semi-quality win. VT losing against Madison did BSU no favors at all. UNLV is a very good team, just not good enough. I have nothing but respect for Utah, a truly tough team. However, e cannot possibly go on what happened two seasons ago. I am all for a playoff system which would pit all top sixteen teams against each other to lay the debate to rest once and for all.

Frankly, I think BSU would have trouble beating Baylor, ranked for the first time ever!
  10. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 14:534 edits
    Being that there's isn't going to be a college football playoff system in the foreseeable future, and being that I don't want to re-open that old debate -- I have a proposal to help resolve the annual debate about what to do about teams like Boise St.

at some point in the season -- say the weekend after Nov 1 -- every team will be required to have an open week in the schedule. The schedule of games for that week will be determined by a making a complete computerized ranking of all the Division I teams as of Oct 31. #1 will then play #2 -- #3 will then play #4 -- #5 will then play #6 -- and so on all the way down. (with additional adjustments being made to ensure that in no case would two teams from the same conference be playing each other.

This would guarantee that each of the top teams would have to play a non-conference game against another top team - and do so relatively late in the season when everyone knows what's at stake. It would also ensure that all of the really terrible teams would get to play a game they'd have a real chance of winning.

Let's assume that the logistics can be worked out to make this happen. That would be one AWESOME weekend for college football.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 14:56
    1. Auburn
    2. Alabama
    3. Oregon
    4. BSU
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 16:41
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Being that there's isn't going to be a college football playoff system in the foreseeable future, and being that I don't want to re-open that old debate -- I have a proposal to help resolve the annual debate about what to do about teams like Boise St.

at some point in the season -- say the weekend after Nov 1 -- every team will be required to have an o ...[text shortened]... be worked out to make this happen. That would be one AWESOME weekend for college football.
    I'm sure it's logistically impossible, but it's not a bad idea.
  13. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 17:18

at some point in the season -- say the weekend after Nov 1 -- every team will be required to have an o ...[text shortened]... be worked out to make this happen. That would be one AWESOME weekend for college football.
    Your idea is interesting, but logistics are difficult. Where do they play? Does the number two team go on the road but the number three team gets a home game?

We could actually do less radical things like get human to look at an undefeated team in the nations top conference Auburn (who beat Arkansas and LSU in consecutive weeks) and rank them number one. I think recognizing the difficult of conference instead of trying to create scenerios where WAC teams can be placed ahead of undefeated SEC and other major conference teams would be a productive start.
  14. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    25 Oct '10 17:333 edits
    Originally posted by quackquack
    Your idea is interesting, but logistics are difficult. Where do they play? Does the number two team go on the road but the number three team gets a home game?

We could actually do less radical things like get human to look at an undefeated team in the nations top conference Auburn (who beat Arkansas and LSU in consecutive weeks) and rank them number ...[text shortened]... be placed ahead of undefeated SEC and other major conference teams would be a productive start.
    Obviously, the logistics would have to be sorted out. But if everyone focused on figuring out how to do it, I'm they could figure out a way to make it work. (And if everyone wanted to just whine about it and look for excuses, I'm sure they could find millions of ways for it not to work)

Home team could be determined by which team has the strongest schedule based on the current rankings of all the teams to date. This would give another added incentive for teams to beef up their schedules. Perhaps an entirely fair system would be impossible -- but it would be fairer than what we're doing now.

Teams would know in advance that they would have an open date on the schedule in mid November that had around a 50% chance of being a road game. If they had, say two weeks notice, I'm sure the road team could make the travel arrangements and the home team could distribute the tickets.
  15. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '10 02:131 edit

at some point in the season -- say the weekend after Nov 1 -- every team will be required to have an o be worked out to make this happen. That would be one AWESOME weekend for college football.
    Brilliant. Logistics could be decided by points scored versus points allowed ratio as the deciding factor in who plays at home. That way blowout wins with a bad defense don't get rewarded and team balance does. Or somethin'! Anything would be better than the doggrel system that picks a #1 that gets knocked off every week.Under your system questionable teams like BSU would get to prove they belong! I'd love to see Baylor play BSU. Bet they'd knock their snot out! Or Wisconsin, or LSU, or even Iowa, or Utah, or even South Carolina! BSU's snot, not the other teams' snot!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree