1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 14:22
    I'm a big 49ers fan and I've been frustrated with their lackluster performance for the past several years, with no indication of an end in sight.

I've been cautiously optimistic about coach Mike Singletary, but was still unimpressed with last year's performance from the Niners.

I was in Iraq for all of last year so I wasn't able to follow sports very closely. And I never really followed college teams and players regardless.

I caught this on the front page of Yahoo. It's the author's opinion of the teams with the best and worst overall picks in the draft. The 49ers were fourth best in his opinion.

Essentially I would like opinions from big college fans, and to see if any of you have any insight on these players. Here was his take:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shutdown_corner/post/The-best-and-worst-of-the-2010-draft?urn=nfl,236463

San Francisco 49ers: Last year, the 49ers went a little pass-happy, running more shotgun than you'd ever expect from a Mike Singletary team. In this draft, they turned everything around and went smashmouth to the extreme. Tackle Anthony Davis and guard Mike Iupati(notes) should shore up the NFL's worst run-blocking line (and Frank Gore(notes) was still productive behind it). Safety Taylor Mays(notes) would have been a first-round reach, but he's a great fit and a good value in the second round. Underrated players like linebacker Navorro Bowman(notes) and running back Anthony Dixon round out a draft that should have the Niners competing hard for an NFC West title this season.

Also, more:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/teams/sfo
  2. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 16:15
    Undoubtedly Singletary had a bad year, but indeed shored up his holes. he gets a firm A for this draft, unlike the Cowboys who failed to pick value when it was available and also picked locker room cancer from Ok St. Niners should be able to run the ball and pass protect better than last year. Immediate contenders? Too soon to say. Our local sporst writer and draft guru gives the niners a solid B. Also predicts they will play smashmouth football upcoming season.
  3. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 17:54
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    Undoubtedly Singletary had a bad year, but indeed shored up his holes. he gets a firm A for this draft, unlike the Cowboys who failed to pick value when it was available and also picked locker room cancer from Ok St. Niners should be able to run the ball and pass protect better than last year. Immediate contenders? Too soon to say. Our local sporst wri ...[text shortened]... u gives the niners a solid B. Also predicts they will play smashmouth football upcoming season.
    I've also been a huge critic of Alex Smith since about his third season. I'm willing to give him one more look behind a line that can block and open up the running game.

But he doesn't deliver a solid performance I'm going to be screaming for them to draft a QB next year. Not that my screaming matters. 🙂
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 18:00
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I've also been a huge critic of Alex Smith since about his third season. I'm willing to give him one more look behind a line that can block and open up the running game.

But he doesn't deliver a solid performance I'm going to be screaming for them to draft a QB next year. Not that my screaming matters. 🙂
    Alex Smith should do way better upcoming season. I don't see him as QB of the future. Not a proven winner. I wish they had drafted McCoy, a steal in 3rd round or Tony Pike. Cleveland found themselves a real winner in McCoy and should be their franchise QB for years to come!Alex Smith should make many less mistakes with proven runner Gore behind a fearsome line.
  5. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 18:36
    You never know. Two other QB's who were written off by most were Jim Plunkett and (da' man!) Steve Young. Both had dismal numbers on crappy teams.
  6. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    25 Apr '10 22:16
    You never know. Two other QB's who were written off by most were Jim Plunkett and (da' man!) Steve Young. Both had dismal numbers on crappy teams.
    Indeed one never knows. Look at Drew Brees, Kurt Warner, Phil Sims. All had huge downsides yet turned out to be great winners. Joe Monatna was a third rounder. Look at all the first round busts: Ryan Leaf, Heath Shuler, Testaverde, Andre Ware, Klingler, Brady Quinn. Steve Young was a genius acquisition by then head coach genius Bill Walsh. Young is one of those who languished in Tampa Bay then went on to greatness. The other one being the now coach at Grambling, Doug Williams. Plunkett's was indeed a great story and great comeback. Sports is great because of such stories. I wish San Fran well and I firmly believe Singletary will go on to greatness. He showed it in this draft!
  7. Joined
    07 Jan '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 04:07
    I'm a big 49ers fan and I've been frustrated with their lackluster performance for the past several years, with no indication of an end in sight.

I've been cautiously optimistic about coach Mike Singletary, but was still unimpressed with last year's performance from the Niners.

I was in Iraq for all of last year so I wasn't able to follow s ...[text shortened]... est title this season.[/quote]

Also, more:

I think Singletary had an ugly situation dropped in his lap and has done positive things, with the Niners showing improvement since he's been head coach. He's only had the team for a year and a half. I'd look for more improvement this year and see where the Niners are at after this coming season. I would not be surprised if they are a wild card in the playoffs.
  8. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Apr '10 23:33
    Originally posted by Badwater
    I think Singletary had an ugly situation dropped in his lap and has done positive things, with the Niners showing improvement since he's been head coach. He's only had the team for a year and a half. I'd look for more improvement this year and see where the Niners are at after this coming season. I would not be surprised if they are a wild card in the playoffs.
    Singletary deserves to be successful. Hopefully, since I believe he feels character counts, he can influence his players for life! Regardless of how he does in the playoffs once he makes it, that would be a great thing for him to do!
  9. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Apr '10 18:173 edits

I was in Iraq for all of last year so I wasn't able to follow s est title this season.[/quote]

Also, more:

The same thing happened to me with my Bungles. They had year after mind numbing year of lackluster performance, but then I saw the light and turned to college football. Of course, I'm not saying this will happen to you, but if you find yourself unable to watch your team because they are simply unwatchable year after year after year, after year, after year, you might consider college football over the pro's. Of course, I tried to watch other teams in the pro's but I simply could not root for any of them. Years later I have completly forgotten about the Bungs and now enjoy college football. In fact, I can't believe I did not do it sooner.
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 00:20
    Originally posted by whodey
    The same thing happened to me with my Bungles. They had year after mind numbing year of lackluster performance, but then I saw the light and turned to college football. Of course, I'm not saying this will happen to you, but if you find yourself unable to watch your team because they are simply unwatchable year after year after year, after year, after year, ...[text shortened]... the Bungs and now enjoy college football. In fact, I can't believe I did not do it sooner.
    I enjoy both college and pros, but being a Cowboys fan helps. Also love many college teams. No particular college team for me, but I tend to go by conference. Love the SEC, but also love the smaller conferences and the subdivision schools.
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 02:31
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    I enjoy both college and pros, but being a Cowboys fan helps. Also love many college teams. No particular college team for me, but I tend to go by conference. Love the SEC, but also love the smaller conferences and the subdivision schools.
    But don't you agree that college ball is superior to the pro's?
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    28 Apr '10 02:49
    Originally posted by whodey
    But don't you agree that college ball is superior to the pro's?
    In many respects college is superior. The atmosphere, pageantry, rivalries marching bands. Nothing beats a full college stadium on a Saturday. But I also love the pros. This last playoff season was wonderfully exciting and we could not have asked for a better superbowl. Both college and pros complement one another. I love the excitement of the draft, then reevaluating same draft four years down the road. I love my college faves making it big in the pros like Joe Montana did. He beat my Cowboys with that play that propelled a meteoric carreer. The excitement of finding the next Tom Brady, Manning, Brees or various greats is awesome. One system could never exist in its current form without the other! In sum, on Saturdays I love college and on Sunday I love the pros. I'm a football junkie!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree