1. Joined
    31 May '10
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 19:421 edit
    When the so called "sports stars" retire; why can't they stay retired. Some try to make a come. The most recent one that comes to mind is Lance Armstrong. Jordan did it, "Magic" Johnson did and a few others gave it a try.

But once retired why don't they just stay retired?
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    12 Aug '10 20:16
    Originally posted by chesstora
    When the so called "sports stars" retire; why can't they stay retired. Some try to make a come. The most recent one that comes to mind is Lance Armstrong. Jordan did it, "Magic" Johnson did and a few others gave it a try.

I think life after sports can be difficult adjusting for some. When you've played sports for a living your entire adult life and most of your childhood, it can't be easy just moving on to something else without that competitive edge. I think most athletes who retire don't end up unretiring because most teams wouldn't want them anyway. There's an exception for the superstars you're talking about like Armstrong, Jordan, etc. who can still perform regardless of their age.
  3. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 03:40
    Charles Barkley should have retired from golf.
    Instead, he started playing left-handed. 😕
  4. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 12:34
    Michael Schumacher's another current example.

(And it seems very common among boxers)
  5. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    13 Aug '10 13:01
    Originally posted by mtthw

Boxers are brain-dead and are usually suborned by crooked managers/promoters. You can't fault them for their own poor decisions. 😛
  6. 6yd box
    Moves
    14 Aug '10 07:53
    Originally posted by mtthw

..and Brett Favre.....
  7. Joined
    05 Jul '07
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 00:43
    Originally posted by spurs73
    ..and Brett Favre.....
    lt's not for the money!???
  8. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    17 Aug '10 03:05
    Originally posted by PGGMMLB
    lt's not for the money!???
    In most cases...no. most of the stars are well enough off they don't need the money.
    They are chasing the dream...in for the thrill of the game. Many take far less money just to stay connected.
  9. Joined
    05 Jul '07
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 14:47
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    In most cases...no. most of the stars are well enough off they don't need the money.
    They are chasing the dream...in for the thrill of the game. Many take far less money just to stay connected.
    l was just talking 'Bout Brett's case...do you think 20 mill may have made fah~vruhs foot feel better?? ...not here to argue...and as for Holyfield, is it true that someones out to try & make $ off his soon to be braindead rear? l'm sure he does't need the $, also sure he's been goin' clay for a while now...if they let him fight, something behind the scene is wrong...
  10. Santiago
    Moves
    21 Aug '10 15:04
    Edgar Davids?
  11. 6yd box
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 11:10
    to be honest guys i think its more to do with not being able to give up something they have loved doing all their lives.

The fame, the tension, the competitiveness, the thrill of it all is very hard just to give up after so mnay years
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Aug '10 16:05

How would you like to be 38 years old and suddenly realize that this thing you've been training for and doing all your life... you can no longer do it professionally?

They come back because they can't adjust to the brand new phase of their lives that hits at such a young age.
  13. Joined
    05 Jul '07
    Moves
    23 Aug '10 00:28
    Originally posted by sh76
    How would you like to be 38 years old and suddenly realize that this thing you've been training for and doing all your life... you can no longer do it professionally?

They come back because they can't adjust to the brand new phase of their lives that hits at such a young age.
    in some cases!? exa. Tyson...how many jokes did it take for him to realize singing to Mr. Collins for a few pennies was a better gig for him? You TRULY can't tell what's going on in every single retirees brain...if it's still workin. James Toney vs UFC .. another .. money talks??? You let me know why the stay retired worked with Barry Sanders? the thread would go on forever...
  14. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    26 Aug '10 01:10

I think I can sum it up in one word: MONEY! These athletes know there is little chance they'll make as much of it once they retire.
  15. Joined
    27 Mar '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '10 03:23
    Bill Russell once joked that "the more time that goes by since I retired, the better I was".

Guys who retire see players in the league who are nowhere near as good as they were, and they naturally think that they can go out there and compete, and they even mentally see themselves doing just that.

In most cases, I actually don't care if a guy wants to come back after "retiring". It's his life. It's his reputation. It's really none of my business what he does with it. In major league sports, the team will tell you when you can't play any more. But hey, if they're willing to sign you and let you play, I say have at it.

A previous comment is 100% correct that boxers are particularly notorious for doing this. To me, THAT'S when it gets sad.

In 1972, just after he came to the Mets, Willie Mays hit a foul ball that my Dad caught at Shea Stadium. You think we cared if he was 41 years old at the time?

We don't own anyone's talents except our own. Because I don't let anyone else tell me what I can and can't do, I recognize that I don't get to make those decisions for anyone else. If you're a pro athlete, your body will (eventually) tell you what you can and can't do.

If a guy wants to put whatever he thinks is his reputation on the line by trying to hang on "too long", it doesn't cost me anything. But for the most part, a guy can play until they find someone who's better that they can replace him with.

Having said that, I am sick of hearing about Favre every year. But that's because of the way he goes about it, not because I think he should or shouldn't retire. I like watching him play.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree