1. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 01:27
    I admit. I'm an AL fan and I don't follow the NL very closely.

I picked LA only because they had a better record and they seemingly had a better pen than the Phillies.

But after watching most of the first 4 games in this series... I'm sorry, but the Dodgers are nothing special.

Their offense is Manny and a bunch of no names. I'm sorry; but Ethier and Kemp are nice players, but when they're your second and third best offensive players, that's pretty sad. Other than Manny, only one player in their lineup has a slugging percentage over .500 and that was Ethier at .508. I mean their highest "qualifying" OBP is .363. Fairly pedestrian.

Starting pitching? Billingsly? Wolf? Kershaw? Sorry. Not impressed. No starting pitcher was more than 12 games. They don't have a single pitcher that I'd have called a very good pitcher before this season.

Great bullpen? Broxton had a good year; but is not a great pitcher for his career. Jeff Weaver? LOL. I remember him from the Yankees. No thanks. I know Sherill well from Baltimore. He may have pitched well in a weak NL West, but he's not great.

I know the NL is the weak sister, but how on Earth did this team win 95 games?? Torre must be a genius.

The Phillies, on the other hand. They have some darn good players.
  2. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 01:49
    Originally posted by sh76
    I admit. I'm an AL fan and I don't follow the NL very closely.

I picked LA only because they had a better record and they seemingly had a better pen than the Phillies.

But after watching most of the first 4 games in this series... I'm sorry, but the Dodgers are nothing special.

Their offense is Manny and a bunch of no names. I'm sorry; but Ethier and K ...[text shortened]... st be a genius.

The Phillies, on the other hand. They have some darn good players.
    You just wanted to see another Yankees/Dodgers matchup.
  3. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 03:01
    I hated Reggie Jackson.

Yes, I was a Dodgers fan growing up. I can still name the batting order for the first five:

Davy Lopes
    Bill Russel
    Ron Cey
    Steve Garvey
    Dusty Baker

Rick Monday sucked. I don't know why they kept him around.
  4. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 03:21
    Originally posted by Eladar
    I hated Reggie Jackson.

Yes, I was a Dodgers fan growing up. I can still name the batting order for the first five:

Davy Lopes
    Bill Russel
    Ron Cey
    Steve Garvey
    Dusty Baker

Rick Monday sucked. I don't know why they kept him around.
    That was quite a Dodgers team indeed. Wasn't Mike scioscia their catcher? Fernando Vaelnzuela ws truly great pitcher. I loved that series with the Yankees where the Dodgers trounced them even though I've always been a Yankees fan more than Dodgers. As long as the games are competitive I don't care who wins despite any favorite. BB of course, not any other sport.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 05:17
    Originally posted by scacchipazzo
    That was quite a Dodgers team indeed. Wasn't Mike scioscia their catcher? Fernando Vaelnzuela ws truly great pitcher. I loved that series with the Yankees where the Dodgers trounced them even though I've always been a Yankees fan more than Dodgers. As long as the games are competitive I don't care who wins despite any favorite. BB of course, not any other sport.
    It depends which Dodger's teams you are speaking about.. Scoiscia caught later on. The mid/late70's teams had the tandem of Steve Yeager and Joe Ferguson catching. Scoiscia showed up around 82 I believe.Don Sutton was the staff ace in the 70's while Valenzuela came up in 81. Bill Buckner played in the 70's.
  6. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 13:48
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    It depends which Dodger's teams you are speaking about.. Scoiscia caught later on. The mid/late70's teams had the tandem of Steve Yeager and Joe Ferguson catching. Scoiscia showed up around 82 I believe.Don Sutton was the staff ace in the 70's while Valenzuela came up in 81. Bill Buckner played in the 70's.
    Scioscia hit that home run in the 9th to tie the game off of Dwight Gooden in 1988, in a game that evened the series at 2-2. Dodgers ended up winning the NLCS in 7 games.

Which was very important because it allowed us all to "not believe what we just saw" in the ensuing world series.
  7. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 13:51
    Originally posted by rwingett
    one more game until the all-New Jersey matchup!!

I hope the tollbooths along the turnpike will be ready to handle all the traffic.
  8. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 16:481 edit
    Originally posted by rwingett
    You're right.

Yanks would have kicked their tail.

The Phils are much more scary. In fact, they look like an AL team. Pedro and Lee have had success in the AL and the middle of that lineup, with Ibanez, Utley, Werth and Howard, rivals any AL order. Rollins and Victorino are a solid top of the orders and even Feliz and Ruiz are good, for bottom of the lineup hitters.

I'm not counting my chickens yet in the ALCS, but Yanks-Phils would be a heck of a matchup.
  9. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    22 Oct '09 20:50
    Originally posted by sh76
    You're right.

Yanks would have kicked their tail.

The Phils are much more scary. In fact, they look like an AL team. Pedro and Lee have had success in the AL and the middle of that lineup, with Ibanez, Utley, Werth and Howard, rivals any AL order. Rollins and Victorino are a solid top of the orders and even Feliz and Ruiz are good, for bottom of the lineu ...[text shortened]...

I'm not counting my chickens yet in the ALCS, but Yanks-Phils would be a heck of a matchup.
    That's why I picked the Dodgers too. But after seeing the Phillies kick arse, I think a Yankee/Phillies match-up will be more enjoyable...
  10. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 11:49
    Originally posted by darvlay
    That's why I picked the Dodgers too. But after seeing the Phillies kick arse, I think a Yankee/Phillies match-up will be more enjoyable...
    Yankees in 5!
  11. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    26 Oct '09 15:05
    Yankees in 5!
    Wake me when its over. 😴
  12. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 01:081 edit
    Originally posted by whodey
    Wake me when its over. 😴
    Not a world series guy? Only football? Me if it bounces, wobbles, rolls, gets put througha hoop, shot in a pocket, driven with a club, hit with a racket... I'll watch!!!
  13. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 02:552 edits
    Not a world series guy? Only football? Me if it bounces, wobbles, rolls, gets put througha hoop, shot in a pocket, driven with a club, hit with a racket... I'll watch!!!
    No, in fact, baseball is my first love. However, ever since baseball becaeme a sport of haves and have nots, I lost interest. I grow tired every year wondering who will take it all? Will it be the Yankees, Red Sox, or Angels etc? To see who are contenders, just look at their pay roll. Simply put, these teams are buying play off births. Screw them all!! 😠
  14. Joined
    30 Sep '08
    Moves
    27 Oct '09 11:33
    Originally posted by whodey
    No, in fact, baseball is my first love. However, ever since baseball becaeme a sport of haves and have nots, I lost interest. I grow tired every year wondering who will take it all? Will it be the Yankees, Red Sox, or Angels etc? To see who are contenders, just look at their pay roll. Simply put, these teams are buying play off births. Screw them all!! 😠
    Money never bought anyone a berth. Look at how long it took the Yankees to gel. Look at the Redskins. Maybe you should concentrate on individual sports only like tennis and boxing. Your criteria should be applied to schools as well. The big schools draft the best players and the small schools get the dregs. Without this we would never have the awesome sports stories of underdogs winning it all like Arizona in 2001 (BBWS). Since, unlike many, I do not object to players being payed well it does not bother me one iota that a team gets the best. Most of the time I root against them but I have always preferred AL teams.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree