1. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    1553
    26 Apr '07 18:02
    I realise that many people out there like him but he gets on my nerves.

    He always talks as if he is the world's leading expert, when he has zero respect in real football circles.

    He understands what makes a top class sportsman as well as Mourinho understands handballs.

    He feeds the media in their misguided attempts to pressure England players to play well and loves making scapegoats on very little evidence.
  2. Cavan, Ireland
    Joined
    26 Mar '07
    Moves
    285
    26 Apr '07 18:21
    i feel the same way about all the english pundits. over here in ireland we have an exellent selection of pundits who don't try to keep up with journalists saying christiano ronaldo is the best in the world. can you tell me what he has ever contributed to man utd in a big game- like against AC on tuesday. he played well against roma but were roma trying. they don't say he hasn't got talent but he is NOT THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD
  3. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Joined
    27 Feb '02
    Moves
    211797
    26 Apr '07 18:42
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    I realise that many people out there like him but he gets on my nerves.

    He always talks as if he is the world's leading expert, when he has zero respect in real football circles.

    He understands what makes a top class sportsman as well as Mourinho understands handballs.

    He feeds the media in their misguided attempts to pressure England players to play well and loves making scapegoats on very little evidence.
    I like the fact that he is a fan and not an ex-pro.
    I like the fact that he states his opinion and is not afraid to upset Sir Alex if he says what he feels.
    Some of what he says is tosh eg Lampard in an England shirt. Criticizing refs etc, but at least he gives an opinion quickly and doesn't sit on the fence or follow the crowd.

    If we had Tony Gubba and Alan Shearer as our commentary team it would be as exhilerating as Snooker
  4. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Joined
    27 Feb '02
    Moves
    211797
    26 Apr '07 18:431 edit
    Originally posted by john91
    i feel the same way about all the english pundits. over here in ireland we have an exellent selection of pundits who don't try to keep up with journalists saying christiano ronaldo is the best in the world. can you tell me what he has ever contributed to man utd in a big game- like against AC on tuesday. he played well against roma but were roma trying. they don't say he hasn't got talent but he is NOT THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD
    Ironically Alan Green is from Ireland!
  5. Joined
    09 Dec '06
    Moves
    1553
    26 Apr '07 19:01
    Originally posted by invigorate
    I like the fact that he is a fan and not an ex-pro.
    I like the fact that he states his opinion and is not afraid to upset Sir Alex if he says what he feels.
    Some of what he says is tosh eg Lampard in an England shirt. Criticizing refs etc, but at least he gives an opinion quickly and doesn't sit on the fence or follow the crowd.

    If we had Tony Gubba and Alan Shearer as our commentary team it would be as exhilerating as Snooker
    I know what you mean about having a fans view and passion, but compare Green to Adrian Childs, Childs gives great opinions, but leaves them as opinions, with Green his opinions are always facts.

    Plenty of people are not afraid to upset sir Alex, most media types make their careers out of stabbing people in the back. You always sound more of an expert when you criticise. His criticism of Sven was often correct but VERY selective and over the top.

    You have a point about Gubba, i would prefer to hate Green than be bored by Gubba. Maybe I am biased as I love Lampard, think that Beckham should at least be in the England squad.
  6. Joined
    10 Nov '05
    Moves
    30185
    26 Apr '07 19:24
    Originally posted by john91
    i feel the same way about all the english pundits. over here in ireland we have an exellent selection of pundits who don't try to keep up with journalists saying christiano ronaldo is the best in the world. can you tell me what he has ever contributed to man utd in a big game- like against AC on tuesday. he played well against roma but were roma trying. they don't say he hasn't got talent but he is NOT THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD
    Are you refering to Eamon Dunphy?

    "Cristiano Ronaldo is a puffball who's never done it on a big occasion ... I don't think they'll do it tonight because they're playing against good, experienced professionals. Maybe I'll have an egg on my face in a few hours' time but I doubt it" - RTE pundit Eamon Dunphy before the MU beat Roma 7-1.

    "It was a great performance by players who've never played like that before ... but Roma were very poor. They're 18 points behind Inter in Serie A" - RTE pundit Eamon Dunphy after the MU beat Roma 7-1.

    The same Eamon Dunphy who has a wholly unprofessional bias against Liverpool?

    http://www.whoateallthepies.tv/2007/03/eamon_dunphys_l.html
  7. Standard memberrhb
    Ginger Scum
    Paranoia
    Joined
    23 Sep '03
    Moves
    15902
    26 Apr '07 20:11
    Pundrtity is one of the hardest jobs IMO - when they're right no-one notices, when they're wrong it's all too glaringly obvious.

    I like Alan Green 'cos as others have said he calls it straight as he sees it.

    If you're looking for an Irish waste of space on the same radio channel look no further than Stephen Nolan.
  8. Standard membermochiron
    The Don
    Nihon
    Joined
    23 May '05
    Moves
    163522
    27 Apr '07 11:07
    Originally posted by petrosianpupil
    I know what you mean about having a fans view and passion, but compare Green to Adrian Childs, Childs gives great opinions, but leaves them as opinions, with Green his opinions are always facts.

    Plenty of people are not afraid to upset sir Alex, most media types make their careers out of stabbing people in the back. You always sound more of an expe ...[text shortened]... Maybe I am biased as I love Lampard, think that Beckham should at least be in the England squad.
    I figure Green is fairly candid. Lampard is good but seems to fail when the pressure is on.
  9. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Joined
    25 Sep '05
    Moves
    55287
    27 Apr '07 16:41
    Originally posted by john91
    i feel the same way about all the english pundits. over here in ireland we have an exellent selection of pundits who don't try to keep up with journalists saying christiano ronaldo is the best in the world. can you tell me what he has ever contributed to man utd in a big game- like against AC on tuesday. he played well against roma but were roma trying. they don't say he hasn't got talent but he is NOT THE BEST PLAYER IN THE WORLD
    Get real, Irish punditry is quite possibly the worst I have ever had the misfortune to endure, even Ron Atkinson(who I hate) is better.
    I watch RTE with the sound off and the radio on instead it's that bad!
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '04
    Moves
    111621
    28 Apr '07 21:16
    Not a Green fan myself. Tends to go on and on about a player or referee that he does not like. Obviuos bias towards Liverpool, still better than some other he could have a bias for.
  11. Cavan, Ireland
    Joined
    30 Apr '07
    Moves
    3516
    04 May '07 20:28
    Originally posted by cadwah
    Get real, Irish punditry is quite possibly the worst I have ever had the misfortune to endure, even Ron Atkinson(who I hate) is better.
    I watch RTE with the sound off and the radio on instead it's that bad!
    explain how ITV is possibly better than RTE which doesn't try to hype up Ronaldo cuz he's siht
Back to Top