1. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    27 Oct '13 21:05
    World series is on at the moment and it's still getting beat in the ratings by football.

    Is there just to many games in baseball, hockey and basketball to keep peoples attention and interest?

    The best teams generally reach the playoffs in each sport but football is the only one where the better teams rarely lose against the weaker sides. Does this have an influence?

    All games last about the same amount of time so you can't talking about time.

    For me i like baseball and football but football is more exciting.

    The puck is something hard to follow in hockey.

    Basketball is for me the most boring of the 4, pass, pass - shot - pass, pass - shot. Yawn.
  2. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    13341
    28 Oct '13 01:18
    Originally posted by Trev33
    World series is on at the moment and it's still getting beat in the ratings by football.

    Is there just to many games in baseball, hockey and basketball to keep peoples attention and interest?

    The best teams generally reach the playoffs in each sport but football is the only one where the better teams rarely lose against the weaker sides. Does this have ...[text shortened]... .

    Basketball is for me the most boring of the 4, pass, pass - shot - pass, pass - shot. Yawn.
    To me baseball is just too boring to watch on TV. I've gone to a few games and it was a totally different experience, but on TV it's just zzzzzzzz
  3. Joined
    02 Jan '06
    Moves
    10087
    28 Oct '13 02:394 edits
    Originally posted by Trev33
    World series is on at the moment and it's still getting beat in the ratings by football.

    Is there just to many games in baseball, hockey and basketball to keep peoples attention and interest?

    The best teams generally reach the playoffs in each sport but football is the only one where the better teams rarely lose against the weaker sides. Does this have ...[text shortened]... .

    Basketball is for me the most boring of the 4, pass, pass - shot - pass, pass - shot. Yawn.
    Baseball really went down hill after the strike. People were really turned off by this, and some never returned. You then had the home run races as home run records being broken which helped improve ratings and interests. Then the revelations about steroid use once again brought the wrath of the public.

    One thing I have noticed after the strike is that you had a lack of parody. You now have big market teams and small market teams. Big market teams usually dominate which helps to bring in more ratings I guess. So many small market teams just got left behind. I know this has turned me off from watching the big market teams play in the World Series. It's like who will be there this year, Boston or the Yankees. The excitement is more than I can bear.

    Of course, there is also the issue of the length of the season and of the games. People are too ADD today. In football, or at least in college football, every game is a playoff game. However, in baseball you can lose 50 games and still go to the post season. (Yawn)

    I personally think baseball is the best game around. It is the only sport where you don't have two goals at either side of the field as teams go at it. I also don't like the fact that time runs out in other sports. Time never runs out in baseball. If you lose, you never lose to the clock. If you lose, you lose because you suck. It is the only game where individual play and team play become one in the same. It is all you out there with no help from your teammates, but at the same time, it takes all of you doing your job right to win.

    It's just too bad that money has ruined the sport.
  4. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223260
    28 Oct '13 03:003 edits
    Originally posted by Trev33
    World series is on at the moment and it's still getting beat in the ratings by football.

    Is there just to many games in baseball, hockey and basketball to keep peoples attention and interest?

    The best teams generally reach the playoffs in each sport but football is the only one where the better teams rarely lose against the weaker sides. Does this have ...[text shortened]... .

    Basketball is for me the most boring of the 4, pass, pass - shot - pass, pass - shot. Yawn.
    I know Facebook is worldwide but the most popular team in American sports is the Lakers Celtics and bulls then they Yankees and maybe boston then the Cowboys. This is according to Facebook. The least for the NFL I know is the Jags.
  5. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    28 Oct '13 03:24
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I know Facebook is worldwide but the most popular team in American sports is the Lakers Celtics and bulls then they Yankees and maybe boston then the Cowboys. This is according to Facebook. The least for the NFL I know is the Jags.
    Can see the Jags moving to London, Florida really don't need 3 teams. Especially since they've signed to play a game in London for 4 seasons... maybe the 5th will see them turn into the London Jags? Possible. Think they would need two bases though.
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    28 Oct '13 03:26
    Originally posted by whodey
    Baseball really went down hill after the strike. People were really turned off by this, and some never returned. You then had the home run races as home run records being broken which helped improve ratings and interests. Then the revelations about steroid use once again brought the wrath of the public.

    One thing I have noticed after the strike is that ...[text shortened]... es all of you doing your job right to win.

    It's just too bad that money has ruined the sport.
    Totally agree that the season is to long and there's way to many unimportant games. Like you say, how can a team lose 50 games in a season and win a championship? Doesn't make sense.
  7. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223260
    28 Oct '13 04:09
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Totally agree that the season is to long and there's way to many unimportant games. Like you say, how can a team lose 50 games in a season and win a championship? Doesn't make sense.
    Could you imagine the ticket prices to baseball games if it was a 16 game season. That would be crazy!
  8. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223260
    28 Oct '13 04:10
    Originally posted by Trev33
    Can see the Jags moving to London, Florida really don't need 3 teams. Especially since they've signed to play a game in London for 4 seasons... maybe the 5th will see them turn into the London Jags? Possible. Think they would need two bases though.
    I hate this whole idea that would be a lot of traveling. Two teams in the same division would be cool. Florida needs no teams they've only got three wins this season.
  9. Joined
    27 Dec '05
    Moves
    143878
    28 Oct '13 21:21
    Originally posted by Trev33
    World series is on at the moment and it's still getting beat in the ratings by football.

    Is there just to many games in baseball, hockey and basketball to keep peoples attention and interest?

    The best teams generally reach the playoffs in each sport but football is the only one where the better teams rarely lose against the weaker sides. Does this have ...[text shortened]... .

    Basketball is for me the most boring of the 4, pass, pass - shot - pass, pass - shot. Yawn.
    You mean American football ?
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    29 Oct '13 03:48
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I hate this whole idea that would be a lot of traveling. Two teams in the same division would be cool. Florida needs no teams they've only got three wins this season.
    And not be able to watch the Pats give Miami hope year after year only to crush them late in the game? Never.

    It's going to happen, look at how they're increasing the games in London year after year and saying how they want each team to play a game there. It's to get them used to coming over. Getting a strong fan base will not be easy in London though, everyone who is a NFL fan already has a team, most for years.
  11. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223260
    29 Oct '13 04:05
    Originally posted by Trev33
    And not be able to watch the Pats give Miami hope year after year only to crush them late in the game? Never.

    It's going to happen, look at how they're increasing the games in London year after year and saying how they want each team to play a game there. It's to get them used to coming over. Getting a strong fan base will not be easy in London though, everyone who is a NFL fan already has a team, most for years.
    I found a good article that would complicate things: http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9716479&src=desktop
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    10260
    29 Oct '13 04:24
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I found a good article that would complicate things: http://m.espn.go.com/nfl/story?storyId=9716479&src=desktop
    I wouldn't worry about any of those. The economy in London will increase if they have a team, little hurdles like these will easily be jumped over.

    Plus London would want a winning team, if that means relaxing tax laws or labor laws they will.

    Or they could just have their main base in the states and just play in London, not sure how that would work legally though.
  13. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223260
    29 Oct '13 15:47
    Originally posted by Trev33
    I wouldn't worry about any of those. The economy in London will increase if they have a team, little hurdles like these will easily be jumped over.

    Plus London would want a winning team, if that means relaxing tax laws or labor laws they will.

    Or they could just have their main base in the states and just play in London, not sure how that would work legally though.
    Maybe they could be like the giants and Jets. Where they have the name of New York but play in New Jersey. So they could be called the London Jaguars and still play in Jacksonville. 😉
  14. Subscribershortcircuit
    The Energizer
    where you want to be
    Joined
    28 Jan '07
    Moves
    66518
    29 Oct '13 19:58
    Originally posted by RBHILL
    I know Facebook is worldwide but the most popular team in American sports is the Lakers Celtics and bulls then they Yankees and maybe boston then the Cowboys. This is according to Facebook. The least for the NFL I know is the Jags.
    Just to correct your rankings of the franchise values.
    Not you how you made your determination at all.
    In deference to the non Americans, this list includes all teams in any sports
    franchise worldwide.

    Please note the top two American franchises are the Yankees and the Cowboys.

    You can click to see the next 40 teams in ranked order by Forbes.

    http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/07/16/manchester-united-tops-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams/
  15. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Joined
    21 May '03
    Moves
    223260
    29 Oct '13 20:262 edits
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Just to correct your rankings of the franchise values.
    Not you how you made your determination at all.
    In deference to the non Americans, this list includes all teams in any sports
    franchise worldwide.

    Please note the top two American franchises are the Yankees and the Cowboys.

    You can click to see the next 40 teams in ranked order by Forbes.
    ...[text shortened]... ites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/07/16/manchester-united-tops-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams/
    I looked up on Facebook all the major teams of the top five sports and looked at the total numbers each team had and the Lakers have 16,000,000+. It took a while because there's 141 teams right now. And that's why I said on Facebook it was worldwide. And I'm only talking about American teams.
Back to Top