1. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 16:55
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Your lack of knowledge does not change the fact that purists do exist.

Your lack of comprehension skills does not make a valid statement rubbish.

LOL Soemthing is either interesting or it is not. You feel the need to add degrees of separation on everything you do?
    Well. I guess you go to all the Little League games in your area just to satisfy your "purist" love of the game.

How does it feel to be an idiot?
  2. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 18:04
    shorty vs no1twit

the book.

shory realizes it's pointless to argue with no1 and leaves the thread - 1/2

argument goes on for a few days, the people decide who the winner is - 4/6

it goes on and on and someone accepts defeat - 4/1

no1 realizes he is an idiot who will pick a fight with a fish and backs off - 10/1

a level headed argument forms with many great points - 25/1

shorty sends no1 a fruit basket - 40/1

no1 leaves rhp realizing he wastes time having pointless arguments with everyone - 500/1

shorty throws a baseball that hits no1 on the head - 1000/1

no1 goes a week without calling someone an idiot or some other childish school yard remark - 5000/1

armageddon is tomorrow - 4000/1

place your bets laddies.
  3. Joined
    27 Dec '06
    Moves
    19 Mar '09 21:05
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Grow up; since when "should" you root for a team just because it's a "local" one?
    lol, typically people root for their country in international events unless they are a participant in the event and they are banking 1 million bucks to play for another country like mother Russia for instance. I guess I am not surprised that you jumped on the Cuban bandwagon after a compelling run in the inaugural WBC. I guess that is kind of your nature. I mean it didn't stop you from jumping on the Celtic bandwagon when they acquired Ray Allen and KG. Anyways, the original intent of my previous post was to find out who you are "going for" now. Are you going to root for a new team or are you going to be a "purist" and just enjoy the games?
  4. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Mar '09 02:221 edit
    Originally posted by no1marauder

How does it feel to be an idiot?
    You tell me.

*EDIT* Oh, and I have probably forgotten more about baseball than you know jughead!! Now, run back to your round room and stand in the corner.
  5. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    20 Mar '09 02:24
    Originally posted by trev33
    shorty vs no1twit

the book.

shory realizes it's pointless to argue with no1 and leaves the thread - 1/2

argument goes on for a few days, the people decide who the winner is - 4/6

it goes on and on and someone accepts defeat - 4/1

no1 realizes he is an idiot who will pick a fight with a fish and backs off - 10/1

a level headed argument form ...[text shortened]... sh school yard remark - 5000/1

armageddon is tomorrow - 4000/1

place your bets laddies.
    Place me $1000 on the beanball!!!
  6. SubscriberSmookieP
    Lead, Follow, or..
    Saint Petersburg, FL
    Moves
    23 Mar '09 07:07
    Originally posted by shortcircuit
    Place me $1000 on the beanball!!!
    While ya'll were name-calling, the WBC has turned into a far-east final.

Japan/Korea, how exciting.
  7. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 13:55
    Originally posted by SmookieP
    While ya'll were name-calling, the WBC has turned into a far-east final.

Japan/Korea, how exciting.
    Don't know if you're being facetious or not but last night's Japan/Korea final was an incredibly exciting game. Best one of the tournament that I saw. They pulled out all the stops last night.
  8. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 19:41
    No one??

The shame.

Typical Americans. If you're not in it then who cares, right?
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    24 Mar '09 20:091 edit
    Originally posted by darvlay
    No one??

The shame.

Scheduling the game to start at 9:30 EDT on a Monday practically assured that TV ratings in the States would blow. I couldn't watch until 1 AM at my advanced age.
  10. Subscribershortcircuit
    master of disaster
    funny farm
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 12:45
    No one??

The shame.

I watched the game. Still couldn't understand why they would pitch to Ichiro with first base open, even though the guy behind him was a hot hitter as well. The Korean manager was pushing all the right buttons to get them there, but he spit the bit on that one.

BTW, did you see the pitch Ichiro fouled off two pitches prior to the hit? The damn thing hit the ground in front of the plate and he hit it on the hop. The guy has amazing bat skills.
  11. Joined
    05 Sep '08
    Moves
    26 Mar '09 18:45
    I actually think one of the reasons that Americans are not into the WBC is that they are used to rooting for or against baseball players based on their American teams not their nationality. For instance, I am a New York Yankee fan so I root for Jeter but not his teammate David Wright. I root for guys like Cano and Bernie Williams. It is not like all "my guys" are on one team.
  12. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 14:581 edit
    Originally posted by quackquack
    I actually think one of the reasons that Americans are not into the WBC is that they are used to rooting for or against baseball players based on their American teams not their nationality. For instance, I am a New York Yankee fan so I root for Jeter but not his teammate David Wright. I root for guys like Cano and Bernie Williams. It is not like all "my guys" are on one team.
    The other thing is that the best American players, especially pitchers, didn't play in the game. Think about it. Who were the best American born pitchers in baseball last year? Sabbathia, Lincecum, Halladay, Hamels, Papelbon, Lidge, Nathan, etc. etc. None of those guys played in the WBC. Oswalt and Peavy and the guys who did represent the US are nice pitchers, but not the US' best.

Even on offense. No Chase Utley or Ryan Howard or Mark Teixeira or Matt Holliday or Josh Hamilton?? Come on.

The point is that the teams don't want their best players going to the WBC and the best American players would rather go through a normal training camp than pitch in the WBC.

Until they play the tournament in the middle of the season and/or force the best players to play in the tournament (not that I know how you'd do that), the tournament will (and should) remain and afterthought in the US.
  13. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    01 Apr '09 15:06
    Originally posted by sh76
    The other thing is that the best American players, especially pitchers, didn't play in the game. Think about it. Who were the best American born pitchers in baseball last year? Sabbathia, Lincecum, Halladay, Hamels, Papelbon, Lidge, Nathan, etc. etc. None of those guys played in the WBC. Oswalt and Peavy and the guys who did represent the US are nice pitchers, ...[text shortened]... know how you'd do that), the tournament will (and should) remain and afterthought in the US.
    Excuses.

Baseball is still a team sport and defense is still important to winning. You can't just put 8 slugging first basemen and outfielders in the line-up especially ones that strike out every other time at-bat. And why on Earth would you want Manny (who's Dominican, by the way) to play in the field and with members of his old team? That's asking for trouble.

I think the Americans fielded a well-rounded team. They were just plain beat.
  14. Standard membersh76
    Civis Americanus Sum
    New York
    Moves
    13 Apr '09 00:20
    Excuses.
    Not having your best players in the tournament is one heck of an excuse.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree