1. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 04:25
    Originally posted by Crowley
    I wouldn't have used the words "beautiful" to describe much of that game...
    more beuatiful was spains game than hollands.
    That ref was a soft cock . The dutch should've been down to nine by halftime.
  2. Hamilton,New Zealand
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 04:25
    As an impartial viewer, I thought Spain deserved to win the world cup, though the Netherlands played good aggressive football if a little cynical at times, but I believe they deserved to make the final as well.

The sending off of Heitanga, was less than what Puyol did to Robben which would (should) have been his second yellow card. That would have changed the game.

Ineasta and Robben were the best with the ball at the feet, but neither like to stay standing for more than 30 seconds, I think Ineasta would have been the most fouled person in the final, just because he milked as much as he could from the ref. I was getting frustrated because as much as I admired his (and Robbens) skills, I couldn't admire their ground hugging.

Its not going to make me go out watch too much soccer except for this annual event, even when my team exceeded expectations (all whites), and I suppose we are pretty physical as thats the best way to keep it even. Unfortunately being physical means the ref will over whistle you (ala Italy) and like the Netherlands today.
  3. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 04:301 edit
    Originally posted by orion25
    Why 6?
    Winning goal, his #! BTW, what is with all those monitors lining the field? Wouldn't that be distracting when the image changes like that? COCA COLA COCA COLA VISA VISA VISA VISA. Gag me with a spoon. What happens in 2014? 3D monitors then? Images that jump out and interact with the players?
  4. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 09:45
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Winning goal, his #! BTW, what is with all those monitors lining the field? Wouldn't that be distracting when the image changes like that? COCA COLA COCA COLA VISA VISA VISA VISA. Gag me with a spoon. What happens in 2014? 3D monitors then? Images that jump out and interact with the players?
    You mean the adds? That's what football is all about (at least for FIFA)... they are pretty standard - no one is bothered by them, and the players have better things to do I reckon...
  5. Standard memberRBHILL
    Acts 13:48
    California
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 19:241 edit
    Congates to Spain's first and last World Cup Title.
  6. Standard memberAiko
    Nearing 250000...!
    Moves
    12 Jul '10 21:26
    Originally posted by orion25
    no one is bothered by them
    They do get bothersome when they start flashing like an internet add.

In the Dutch competition they use add on the field like that. Terrible. Really, terrible. I wasn't really a follower of the Dutch competition, but this one scares me off for good even if the competition would ever want to become interesting.
  7. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 01:59
    Originally posted by hellosailor
    Given the obvious goal-scoring opportunity available to Robben, had Webb called the initial foul, then the Spaniard would've been sent off. Allowing the advantage, Webb still could've cautioned Puyol at the next stoppage which would've been his second yellow resulting in a send-off.

That said, the Dutch could've been down one or two players by that po ...[text shortened]... layers from both teams chose to play cynical, ugly soccer. Webb had no impact on the result.
    I thought Howard Webb did about the best he could, given the conduct of the players. (With, of course, the obvious exception of De Jong.) I think in that circumstance, the referee will not allow himself to believe that he really just saw a player from a proud national team deliver a kung-fu kick to the chest of an opponent.

It's very easy for Johan Cruyff, or Kuyt, or the Dutch manager, to criticize the officiating. I heard not a word from the Dutch side wondering what kind of game would have resulted if Webb had properly responded to De Jong.

I must say, as an impartial observer, I've always liked Dutch soccer. They've played a thinking man's game for years. I was disappointed by their decision to play the type of football that resulted in fourteen yellow cards, and equally disappointed by the outbursts after the match. I know it was all said in the heat of the moment, but while one always hopes to win, if one plays the game, one must contemplate one's conduct if the result is not favorable. I hope that the Dutch side return to their historic form.

Congratulations to my Spanish, Dutch, and Uruguayan friends on a fantastic result. I know my German friends were hoping for more. It all starts again, sooner than we think.
  8. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 07:51
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    I thought Howard Webb did about the best he could, given the conduct of the players. (With, of course, the obvious exception of De Jong.) I think in that circumstance, the referee will not allow himself to believe that he really just saw a player from a proud national team deliver a kung-fu kick to the chest of an opponent.

It's very easy for Joh ...[text shortened]... I know my German friends were hoping for more. It all starts again, sooner than we think.
    14 yellow cards but no red.😕 I guess the best you could say that there were a series of 50/50 red/yellow card decisions that went yellow.The worst you could say is the ref should've sent 3 or four people off. It would've even added a bit more drama to the final.
  9. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 09:26
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    14 yellow cards but no red.😕 I guess the best you could say that there were a series of 50/50 red/yellow card decisions that went yellow.The worst you could say is the ref should've sent 3 or four people off. It would've even added a bit more drama to the final.
    I think it was just one of those games where it's impossible for a referee to come out of it looking good. He could (and probably should) have been stricter in some cases, but then he'd have got flak for spoiling the game - Spain against 9 men would have been very dull (though Spain supporters would probably have enjoyed it 🙂).
  10. Standard memberkaroly aczel
    The Axe man
    Brisbane,QLD
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 12:11
    Originally posted by mtthw
    I think it was just one of those games where it's impossible for a referee to come out of it looking good. He could (and probably should) have been stricter in some cases, but then he'd have got flak for spoiling the game - Spain against 9 men would have been very dull (though Spain supporters would probably have enjoyed it 🙂).
    Maybe if netherlands had lost a player or two for the second half they might've had more resolute defence and held out for a penalty shoot-out. You never know when a harsh refs call will actually inspire a team. I've seen in other sports too, however its probably more common that losing a player will deflate the team ...
  11. Joined
    07 Sep '05
    Moves
    13 Jul '10 20:07
    Originally posted by karoly aczel
    Maybe if netherlands had lost a player or two for the second half they might've had more resolute defence and held out for a penalty shoot-out. You never know when a harsh refs call will actually inspire a team. I've seen in other sports too, however its probably more common that losing a player will deflate the team ...
    It happens, but it's much harder when you're up against a passing team like Spain - teams get tired faster when they don't have the ball. And the extra half-hour makes it tougher as well.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree