1. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    07 Dec '13 07:25
    Originally posted by Trev33
    How many European countries have won a world cup in S. America?

I'll have to look at the draw again to see who they'll play in the last 16 and 8 but i said Colombia before the draw and since they have one of, if not the easiest group i'll stick with Colombia.

Draw and fifa rankings are fixed anyway.

Edit: Two team who were really screwed were Chile and Ghana. Still fancy Chile to qualify.
    None, but when was the last World Cup in South America?
    The game is very different now. Players are much fitter and far more accustomed to rigorous travel schedules. Brazil is not exceptional, Argentina have Messi, but Germany have looked devastating recently, Italy can play with anybody and are at long last bold in the attack, Spain will guard their reign jealously, Belgium fields a constellation of stars, and a Dutch side that put on a horrid display in the last Cup final will look to redeem themselves. If there is a South American side to be favored, it is Uruguay. The returning semifinalists are now into their own, and eager to prove that their previous tournament's deep run was no fluke.

This World Cup is packed to the gills with talent, class, and panache. Once the riff raff is dispatched, we are promised a fortnight of electrifying football. From the quarterfinals on, any match could have been a Final.

(And - spoiler alert - a good friend of mine, given the draw today, saw his chances of becoming a referee for at least the semifinal round greatly increase.)
  2. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    07 Dec '13 11:09
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    The game is very different now. Players are much fitter and far more accustomed to rigorous travel schedules. Brazil is not exceptional, Argentina have Messi, but Germany have looked devastating recently, Italy can play with anybody and are at long last bold in the attack, Spain will guard their ...[text shortened]... today, saw his chances of becoming a referee for at least the semifinal round greatly increase.)
    The World Cup has been held in the Americas seven times and a team from South America has won every time. When Spain won in South Africa last time round they became the first European team to win the World Cup outside Europe.
  3. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    07 Dec '13 16:431 edit
    Originally posted by sasquatch672
    The game is very different now. Players are much fitter and far more accustomed to rigorous travel schedules. Brazil is not exceptional, Argentina have Messi, but Germany have looked devastating recently, Italy can play with anybody and are at long last bold in the attack, Spain will guard their ...[text shortened]... today, saw his chances of becoming a referee for at least the semifinal round greatly increase.)
    Uruguay have a nice attack but their defense is old and slow. They've been lucky with the draw though so have a chance of making the last 8 but no further than that.

Brazil are better than what people think BUT they won't beat Colombia.

Only Germany can stop a S. American team from winning, the rest just don't have it.
  4. Standard membersasquatch672
    Don't Like It Leave
    Walking the earth.
    Moves
    07 Dec '13 18:13
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    The World Cup has been held in the Americas seven times and a team from South America has won every time. When Spain won in South Africa last time round they became the first European team to win the World Cup outside Europe.
    I know my history, but the traditional European powers look historically strong at the moment. Argentina look strong, and one cannot discount the power of a six-time winner hosting the Cup. Uruguay should make another strong showing. Brazil haven't looked as dangerous as Germany, but I can't imagine anyone but Brazil being allowed to win the Cup.
  5. Joined
    18 Nov '13
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 02:11
    England will just scrape through in second place, win spectacularly in the next round then go out in the quarter finals by penalties
  6. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 02:18
    Originally posted by twohybrid
    England will just scrape through in second place, win spectacularly in the next round then go out in the quarter finals by penalties
    Runner up in the group plays Colombia, winner of that plays Brazil. Both would slaughter England. Hoping Colombia tank their last game against Japan though so they finish second and I can see a Brazil vs Colombia final.
  7. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 12:001 edit
    Belgian could be a surprise guest I feel.

I don't think Brazil will go the distance and I still fancy Spain or Germany

As for England, the one thing that still amazes me is why Rooney is in the squad. All the pundits kiss his butt as though he is some sort of Bobby Moore talisman, but he was absolutely dog-shlte in the last two international competitions.
  8. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 12:451 edit
    He is still the best forward have, which says a lot about the rest. At least Rooney can play well, why Welbeck gets so much positive media coverage is mind boggling.

TBH I don't think Belgium will do that well, out in the second round at best for me. Bosnia could shock a few people, conditions won't suit them though which is a pity because they've been turning into an excellent side for a few years now.

Germany are the only European team with a chance for me, actually in reality think it will be Brazil and Germany in the final again. Any Englishman who thinks Brazil won't reach the final should remember where the 66 world cup was held 😉 Spain, Holland or Chile in the second round will be epic though... Spain just don't have the legs or firepower to win the world cup again.
  9. Joined
    16 Feb '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 18:32
    He is still the best forward have, which says a lot about the rest. At least Rooney can play well, why Welbeck gets so much positive media coverage is mind boggling.

TBH I don't think Belgium will do that well, out in the second round at best for me. Bosnia could shock a few people, conditions won't suit them though which is a pity because they've been tu ...[text shortened]... d will be epic though... Spain just don't have the legs or firepower to win the world cup again.
    On Rooney, I agree with you in terms of his potential and yes at club level he can make or break a game. But at international he's not produced for several years IMO.
  10. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 20:16
    Originally posted by divegeester
    On Rooney, I agree with you in terms of his potential and yes at club level he can make or break a game. But at international he's not produced for several years IMO.
    He has scored 38 goals for England, how many others have reached that? I'm not saying he's world class but he is the best England have, injuries haven't help but he is the best English forward.

Who else is there? Lambert? Welbeck? Defoe? The problem isn't Rooney, look at the players he has played with at UTD and look at England. Had a manager had the balls to play Lamps and Gerrard in a 5 man midfield with Rooney alone they might have beaten a top side at a major championships.

To many times he ends up coming back and helping in the middle.
  11. Joined
    18 Nov '13
    Moves
    19 Dec '13 23:48
    He has scored 38 goals for England, how many others have reached that? I'm not saying he's world class but he is the best England have, injuries haven't help but he is the best English forward.

Who else is there? Lambert? Welbeck? Defoe? The problem isn't Rooney, look at the players he has played with at UTD and look at England. Had a manager had the ball ...[text shortened]... ide at a major championships.

Lambert should be in the squad for one reason that stands out - he does not miss penalties. How many times have England gone out for want of a decent penalty taker? He may not score as many as Rooney for England, but he will not miss the penalty - Rooney will
  12. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    20 Dec '13 00:11
    Originally posted by twohybrid
    Lambert should be in the squad for one reason that stands out - he does not miss penalties. How many times have England gone out for want of a decent penalty taker? He may not score as many as Rooney for England, but he will not miss the penalty - Rooney will
    He missed against Portugal in 2006.
  13. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    22 Dec '13 11:11
    [b]He has scored 38 goals for England, how many others have reached that? I'm not saying he's world class but he is the best England have, injuries haven't help but he is the best English forward.

Who else is there? Lambert? Welbeck? Defoe? The problem isn't Rooney, look at the players he has played with at UTD and look at England. Had a manager had the ball ...[text shortened]... op side at a major championships.

Finally Trev, I can agree with you here on this, we all know that realistically England haven't a chance, simply getting out of he group will require divine intervention.

We should be looking at what Germany have done to create such a bumper crop of talent, Holland & the resurgence of Belgium.

Sir Trevor Brooking should be lashed & put on the rack, just what is coming out of this 'Sports Academy' that cost hundreds of millions.

I hate to say it but for many people I know club football rules, so want to see Ingerlund do well but until the FA/Brooking et al are all put to the wall & we get some proper structures in place across the game of football that give English players the opportunity to shine those that chase a pipe dream of glory will continue to be disappointed.

I'd rather we weren't there but instead the media will have a field day & we'll be stuck in traffic with morons waving England flags from there windows.
  14. Joined
    10 Jan '08
    Moves
    23 Dec '13 08:52
    Originally posted by Hells Caretaker
    Finally Trev, I can agree with you here on this, we all know that realistically England haven't a chance, simply getting out of he group will require divine intervention.

We should be looking at what Germany have done to create such a bumper crop of talent, Holland & the resurgence of Belgium.

Sir Trevor Brooking should be lashed & put on the r ...[text shortened]... ave a field day & we'll be stuck in traffic with morons waving England flags from there windows.
    The media doesn't help that's for sure but the media is not the problem.

I'd say Spain has the best system, kids not playing on full sized pitches until they're older and working on ball skills instead of the get the ball and run with it mentality here.

I only liked playing 5 a side as a kid as the people who thought they were good didn't have enough space to hog the ball and had to pass. Plus now I can use both feet almost as good as the other, just from having less space to play.

The whole culture of football needs to change in the UK and Ireland if any of the 5 nations are to improve.
  15. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    24 Dec '13 16:32
    The media doesn't help that's for sure but the media is not the problem.

I'd say Spain has the best system, kids not playing on full sized pitches until they're older and working on ball skills instead of the get the ball and run with it mentality here.

I only liked playing 5 a side as a kid as the people who thought they were good didn't have enough ...[text shortened]... ulture of football needs to change in the UK and Ireland if any of the 5 nations are to improve.
    On the continent, Spain/Italy don't they play 7 a side on 2/3 size pitches to cultivate that particular skill?

Here in the UK I watch youngsters up to fourteen legging it round full size pitches. The body is still growing at eighteen and yet good talent is thrusted into our modern game, examples: Owen, Rooney, Walcott the latter could of lasted much longer than 29 if weren't from burn out.

Again Brooking needs a shoeing.........

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree