1. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 22:06
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    They did that to save Sox Yankees for the ALCS.

FACT!

P-
    thats what i don't get about baseball, why can't the 2 biggest teams play for the world series?

wouldn't it be better to have 3 divisions and just 1 league? i want to see the mets beat the yankees more that 6 times a year.

would be easier on he players as well, less travel time and as a result they wouldn't be as tired hear the end of the season and there wouldn't be as many injuries.
  2. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 22:09
    Originally posted by trevor33
    thats what i don't get about baseball, why can't the 2 biggest teams play for the world series?

wouldn't it be better to have 3 divisions and just 1 league? i want to see the mets beat the yankees more that 6 times a year.

would be easier on he players as well, less travel time and as a result they wouldn't be as tired hear the end of the season and there wouldn't be as many injuries.
    Each league plays a different style of game. And who says they are the two biggest teams? Just because they have the biggest rivalry doesn't make them the two biggest teams.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 22:14
    Originally posted by darvlay
    Each league plays a different style of game. And who says they are the two biggest teams? Just because they have the biggest rivalry doesn't make them the two biggest teams.
    i know but basically because of the DH in the american league. same rules = same game.

who has more money and fan base as the red sox and the yankees? dodgers? white sox? nah
  4. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 23:13
    i know but basically because of the DH in the american league. same rules = same game.

who has more money and fan base as the red sox and the yankees? dodgers? white sox? nah
    You'd be surprised how different the strategy becomes with the DH rule. Anyways, a lot of people like the league rivalry, including me.

As for big market teams, definitely not the White Sox as Chicago is a Cubs town hands down. But I would say they're definitely one of the biggest.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 23:20
    You'd be surprised how different the strategy becomes with the DH rule. Anyways, a lot of people like the league rivalry, including me.

As for big market teams, definitely not the White Sox as Chicago is a Cubs town hands down. But I would say they're definitely one of the biggest.
    i know, the national league games tend to be more tactical. a little more like the japanese league at times.

and i would prefer the national league games.

thats true, i forgot how big the cubs are because they've been so crappy for so long.

but you would agree that the red sox and yankees are the 2 biggest teams? adding together popularity and success.
  6. Joined
    05 Jan '04
    Moves
    31 Jul '07 23:381 edit
    but you would agree that the red sox and yankees are the 2 biggest teams? adding together popularity and success.
    The Red Sox may be successful now but their entire history is riddled with futility and embarrassment. But yes, they are an extremely popular team with a huge fan base. Same with the Yankees. And right now they are 1-2. But I would argue that the Dodgers, Cubs, Mets, Cardinals and Tigers are also "big time" teams. Seeing AL-NL teams go head-to-head in the World Series is a good time. The two leagues have a such a rich history. I would be very disappointed (as would many baseball fans) if they ever changed the format to just one league.
  7. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 00:421 edit

The Cardinals and the Dodgers have a pretty big fan base.

So do the cubs.
  8. Standard memberRed Night
    RHP Prophet
    pursuing happiness
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 00:46
    i know, the national league games tend to be more tactical. a little more like the japanese league at times.

and i would prefer the national league games.

thats true, i forgot how big the cubs are because they've been so crappy for so long.

I think that the Cardinals are the second most successful team in history behind the Yankees.
  9. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 03:28
    The Red Sox may be successful now but their entire history is riddled with futility and embarrassment. But yes, they are an extremely popular team with a huge fan base. Same with the Yankees. And right now they are 1-2. But I would argue that the Dodgers, Cubs, Mets, Cardinals and Tigers are also "big time" teams. Seeing AL-NL teams go head-to-head in th ...[text shortened]... disappointed (as would many baseball fans) if they ever changed the format to just one league.
    Hey! It's not easy being a Sox Fan!

P-
  10. Donationrwingett
    Ming the Merciless
    Royal Oak, MI
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 13:19
    Originally posted by Red Night
    I think that the Cardinals are the second most successful team in history behind the Yankees.
    The Yankees have won 26 World Series. The Cardinals are second best with 10. The Athletics are third with 9.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 16:17
    Originally posted by Red Night
    i'm talking about the present though, do the cards have as big a fan base as the yankees or sox do?
  12. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 16:28
    i'm talking about the present though, do the cards have as big a fan base as the yankees or sox do?
    My understanding is they have a strong fan base (no one has as big as Sox or Yanks) but are a different kind of fan. Yankee and Sox fans will boo their players when they do poorly, and they will boo them when they have done poor and go to another team.

Cards fans are more like fans of the game. They will cheer when the other team pulls a great play, they don't boo their own players, and don't seem to have the same passion for their team that NY and Boston seem to have.

That is my understanding from talk on my sports radio, but I'm sure there are always exceptions to this generalization of Card Fan.

P-
  13. USA
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 16:37
    My understanding is they have a strong fan base (no one has as big as Sox or Yanks) but are a different kind of fan. Yankee and Sox fans will boo their players when they do poorly, and they will boo them when they have done poor and go to another team.

Cards fans are more like fans of the game. They will cheer when the other team pulls a great play, t ...[text shortened]... rts radio, but I'm sure there are always exceptions to this generalization of Card Fan.

P-
    GO SOX!!!
  14. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 16:58
    Originally posted by Dance Master MC
    GO SOX!!!
    Check this Sox out:

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6342

P-
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Aug '07 17:25

Cards fans are more like fans of the game. They will cheer when the other team pulls a great play, t ...[text shortened]... rts radio, but I'm sure there are always exceptions to this generalization of Card Fan.

P-
    so cards fans are positive or content with their team if they perform badly?

i often see the yankess fans boo their own players, a rod for example seemed to get booed every game when he wasn't playing as good as he can.

kind of like what americas like? new yorkers and boston people are more liky to complain than other americans?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree